Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,157 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about relocating from Long Island to Upstate but don't wanna go to far up although we have to go up far enough where it will be cheaper living than Long Island...My Hubby will be able to transfer to where ever we decide to move but I don't wanna be too far from LI because we have family here...I am looking for a nice suburban community (big or small) that would be good for a Soccer Mom ...I have been doing some research on the computer and Hurley in Ulster looks nice...anyone have any info on there or anywhere else ? Obviously looking for a low crime area and good schools also...also m ychildren are very active in sports...Thanks

P.S..
I would also like shopping (i.e Target, walmart , sam's club type stores ) nearby .

Last edited by Joannedw; 07-30-2012 at 07:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 09:01 AM

715 posts, read 2,509,754 times
Suburban communities hardly exist in Ulster County; Hurley is way up there. You are at the crossroads of the extreme northern fringes of the NYC Metro and the southern fringe of Albany's. Ulster County is probably the true beginning to "upstate" as there are very few commuters to NYC (perhaps some in the extreme southern reaches of the county). I suppose you could look in to the Kingston and New Paltz areas, though, although you will find very few resemblances to what you see on LI. It is very picturesque county - the Catskills spanning the western part and the Hudson River to the east.

Dutchess County, especially southern Dutchess, fits your description a bit better. NYC-suburban communities with train access to NYC. Lots of shopping on Route 9. Really nice towns and villages on or close to the Hudson River, most 55-60 miles N NYC. Have a look at Beacon, Fishkill, and Wappingers Falls. Fishkill and Wappingers Falls are served by the solid Wappinger Central School District, and Beacon by Beacon City.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,157 times
well...I don't really care about the train to NYC....we live on LI and haven't gone to the city in years..lol...I would't mind the mountain views...I just want to make sure there is a "Neighborhood" with streets with sidewalksand houses that are close enough to each other to get good trick or treating in at Halloween ......We def can't afford to live to far south by Westchester ....but we need to find a 4 bed 2 bth preferably on the newer side ( open floor plan) that is around 300k or less with taxes around 5k.......oh and I just want a yard that is about 1/3-1/2 acre so the kids have room to run around and have a swing set and pool...oh and I want my neighborhood to be filled with Christmas lights on the houses at Christmas time

Old 07-31-2012, 02:43 PM

715 posts, read 2,509,754 times
Well, then Ulster or northern and eastern Dutchess could suite you quite well.

I suggest New Paltz (and the surrounding area) and Kingston (and the surrounding area, incl. Hurley) in Ulster County.

For Dutchess, the locations I mentioned previously (Beacon, Wappingers, Fishkill) are good starting points, but also have a look at Hopewell Junction, Dover, Red Hook, and Rhinebeck.

Budget wise, you should be in good shape. All mentioned offer the residential feel you suggest.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:09 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Joanne,

If you're looking for something that resembeles what you have now in LI, you will have a hard time finding it in Ulster. Most places there have big lots where homes are far between (in comparison to LI) and people keep to their own. That's part of what makes Ulster appealing.

You can try Dutchess but from what I know, Dutchess isn't that cheap and taxes could be high.

Some communities in Orange County could fit what you're looking for - communities where neighbors live close enough to foster interaction and availability of suburban infrastructure such as sidewalks, playgrounds etc.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:33 AM

15 posts, read 24,299 times
East fishkill (Hopewell Junction, Dutchess County) is a great place to raise a family. Close to the main roads where walmart, our mall (poughkeepsie galleria), target, sams, BJ's, etc is, good schools, low crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York