Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 10:27 PM

278 posts, read 546,295 times

Advertisements

I was on 209 heading towards Wurtsboro Ny, i was doing fine and i saw the cop but i didnt see when it became 40mph so i was stopped doing 55 on a 40mph zone. In my 12 years driving i got a speeding ticket once before years ago and the ticket showed the price wich i sent by mail and that was the end of that. This one is a bit different, what am i supposed to do? It says return by mail to the Mamakating town court. I was going to plea guilty and send it in because i thought that ment, yes im aware and ill pay the fine no point in fighting it because that would be lying but after reading it throughly they make pleading guilty sound horrible. It says:

A PLEA OF GUILTY TO THIS CHARGE IS EQUIVALENT TO A CONVICTION AFTER TRIAL. IF YOU ARE CONVICTED, NOT ONLY WILL YOU BE LIABLE TO A PENALTY, BUT IN ADDITION YOUR LICENSE TO DRIVE A MOTOR VEHICLE OR MOTORCYCLE, AND YOUR CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION, IF ANY, ARE SUBJECT TO SUSPENSION AND REVOCATION AS PRESCRIBED BY LAW.

What should i do? I dont want my license suspended
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 10:22 AM

40 posts, read 86,314 times
Don't worry about a suspension if you have no other convictions. NYS will suspend a license if you have too many points on your license. Since this does not require a personal appearance, (less than 25 MPH over the limit) and you have no other convictions you should be fine. That statement is just "legalese" that a guilty plea is a conviction. http://www.dmv.ny.gov/license.htm#points

Old 07-20-2012, 06:51 AM

278 posts, read 546,295 times
Thank you that helped i guess guilty it is!

Old 07-21-2012, 08:45 AM

78 posts, read 330,330 times
A similar speeding ticket in Port Jervis and the cop implied that it would be better to plea not guilty. Was going 36 in a school zone (20). Went to court and the ticket was changed to a 150 dollar parking ticket, by the cop who I talked to at court. If you have the time I would recommend trying the same thing.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:56 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
You are lucky they don't still haul you to the local Justice of the Peace's house to pay the fine on the spot. They did that on Rt/ 17 in the 60s and 70s. Most likely, they want cash and you get points on the license.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:30 PM

9 posts, read 50,374 times
Plea not guilty. If you plea guilty you will definitely get points on your license. Which could affect your car insurance rates. If you plea not guilty, you'll have to show up in court on an assigned date and 99% of the time, if your record is clean, the cop knocks it down to a lesser offense without you even asking for it - some kind of non-moving violation. You'll still pay a hefty fine, but you won't get points on your license, which is huge. The only drawback is taking time out of your day to go to the local court.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:04 PM

211 posts, read 430,969 times
I would go with KellZ advice... You will prob get it dropped to either parking on pavement or not obeying a traffic device which is a lot better then a speeding ticket for aforementioned reasons. Good luck!

Old 07-31-2012, 01:06 AM

1 posts, read 5,731 times
I think you will probably be able to get it dropped, esecpailly if you have a clean record like it looks like you do. good luck though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York