Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 08:50 PM

7 posts, read 43,561 times

Advertisements

I'm seriously thinking about doing this sometime in the Summer. I'm looking for an adventure, plus I'd love to experience Canada. The plan is to take off early morning one day at the end of July from rural New York, just outside of Rochester. Once I get to Canada, it will likely be in the country, so I am going to hitch-hike to Toronto and abandon the boat. My friend and I are still in the process of acquiring a boat, but we are definitely going to do this! We are planning on spending a few weeks there and getting picked in a car obviously by family or friends.

Does anyone have any tips? Like how much money should I bring? What time should we leave? How long will it take? Safety tips? I really appreciate feedback. I am very excited for this, even though it may be a daring trip. My friend and I can't wait for a peaceful voyage through nature, into the roads of rural Ontario, onward to see the bustling City of Toronto!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 04:58 AM

969 posts, read 2,072,798 times
Love the idea, sounds adventurous... I can vaguely recall people doing the same on kayaks across Lake Erie to Canada. I can't help but think of Canadian customs... I've had more trouble at the Canadian border than any other, by far. I'd assume that you'll be met by customs on the lake, to be safe. You best check into how customs will react to a boat coming in... I'd be sure to have a vessel that has the necessary registration & safety requirements. You probably know that Lake Ontario can get rough, but also keep in mind that it can be very hard for big boats to see a small vessel... I'd plan for for some type of clear visual and keep a horn to alert other boats in case of fog.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:17 AM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
If you just set out on a raft (or any other boat) and randomly land somewhere in Canada, you will have entered the country illegally. Keep that in mind. You might want to plan something like this out a little more, not just randomly do it. Adventures don't have to be spur of the moment. In fact, they probably shouldn't be when they involve crossing foreign borders and dangerous maritime navigation.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:16 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,209 times
Default Bad Idea!! - More Planning Necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinian1 View Post
I'm seriously thinking about doing this sometime in the Summer. I'm looking for an adventure, plus I'd love to experience Canada. The plan is to take off early morning one day at the end of July from rural New York, just outside of Rochester. Once I get to Canada, it will likely be in the country, so I am going to hitch-hike to Toronto and abandon the boat. My friend and I are still in the process of acquiring a boat, but we are definitely going to do this! We are planning on spending a few weeks there and getting picked in a car obviously by family or friends.

Does anyone have any tips? Like how much money should I bring? What time should we leave? How long will it take? Safety tips? I really appreciate feedback. I am very excited for this, even though it may be a daring trip. My friend and I can't wait for a peaceful voyage through nature, into the roads of rural Ontario, onward to see the bustling City of Toronto!
Hello Justinian (a.k.a. Huck Finn),

Seriously?? Honestly you may end up in a REAL-BAD Adventure that neither of you guys or your families expect you to encounter.

#1.) Its totally illegal to cross international borders without the necessary proper legal papers.
#2.) You definitely need a passport or enhanced NY State drivers license to cross into Canada and to RE-ENTER the United States. Canadian Authorities and United States Authorities are NOT going to take your word nor your families word that you are U.S. citizens; where's your proof?
#3a.) If or when you get arrested/detained and thrown in jail (you probably will be caught at some point in your "adventure")(they won't put you in some beautiful hotel) for entering Canada illegally, you will be locked-up until some Lawyers YOU/your family hires to sort-out everything. No Authorities are just going to take your word for anything. You are entering a foreign country, you're NOT just simply walking or driving from NY State into Vermont!!! The U.S. does not OWN Canada, YOU can't simply do anything you want to!
#3b.) Illegally entering Canada is no different than illegally entering Iran or Russia or Singapore or China. You can't just WANDER all across the world entering foreign countries simply because you want to have a fun adventure!!
#4.) Once you go through your jail detention, your name will go on a list of people to watch-out for and not let you into Canada again or maybe they will detain and question you everytime you try to enter Canada again in the future. Who knows?=You may NEVER be allowed into Canada EVER again in your lifetime.
#5.) Seriously??? Are you going to use a boat or a raft?!! You are not Huck Finn floating/sailing down the Mississippi River you know. You do know that a raft is an unsafe FLAT platform and even a small boat is easily swamped by rough waters on Lake Ontario. Lake Ontario can get real rough storms, waves, waters; even big ships have sunk over the years in storms on the Great Lakes. Just because Lake Ontario might have calm waters near the shoreline does not mean the water will remain calm all across the whole Lake!
#6.) There are huge cargo ships on Lake Ontario that may not see you and they will run right over you and your boat/raft!
I don't recommend >>at all<< that you do this trip the way you've described your plan.
#7.) You'd need a lot of safety devices to make a safe trip (until the Authorities catch you and lock you up). A safety-jacket to keep you floating when you fall into the lake and your boat/raft sinks to the bottom of the lake. A loud air-horn so you can let huge ships know where you are; if they even hear your horn. Some sort of device so you can call/talk with people 20 miles away on shore when your boat/raft sinks. And some more safety items. Make your list of necessary safety devices you'll need then take your money to the store and buy those things.
#8.) And there's many more considerations.

Your plan doesn't sound like a good or fun idea, Huck Finn!!

You want to visit Canada and have it be a fun adventure? Do it the right way. Get a passport or "Enhanced" NY State driver's license and go by bus or car through the "Customs Authority Office" at the border. That's the best way to visit Canada, not get locked-up in jail, not have to spend a lot of money on Lawyers to get you out of jail and PROVE who you really are, to have a fun trip/time, and not get into lifetime-long trouble.

Take my advice. Don't go floating/sinking across Lake Ontario. Don't get thrown in jail.

Get your passport. Have good identification papers/proof. Go through the Border Customs Office. Be approved by Customs to enter Canada LEGALLY. Then enter Canada and don't get into trouble while you're there. That will make your trip a Fun Adventure.

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 06-17-2012 at 01:33 PM..

Old 06-18-2012, 11:59 PM

334 posts, read 1,102,514 times
Lake Ontario is around 50 miles wide if you're thinking of travelling from the shore just north of Rochester (let's say Irondequoit) to Brighton or Wellington in Ontario. According to this rafting site the typical rafting speed on flat water with no currents, like a lake, would be 2.5 miles per hour.
Packrafting » Packrafting Speeds -- BackpackingLight.com Forums

Additionally you can expect a good amount of eastward drift on Lake Ontario considering the prevailing winds, SailFlow.com - ON- Ontario Wind Data
So your raft is not going to be travelling 50 miles north--instead it will go around 70 miles northeast.

So your travel time could be around 25-30 hours.

I'm not even going to touch the border patrol issue because the raft doesn't look like a good way to travel to me.

Last edited by gk90; 06-19-2012 at 12:11 AM..

Old 06-19-2012, 10:20 AM

5,695 posts, read 4,090,496 times
Very bad idea. I've crossed the lake in a very seaworthy 32' sailboat with a full keel. The lake was calm when we left, but a full blown storm erupted before we got across. Plus, the shipping lanes are quite busy and you can't judge a ship's location at night, even though you can see the lights. If your goal is to get your name in the alphabetical section of the newspaper, you will reach it.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:35 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
I wouldn't cross Lake George in a raft, let alone Lake Ontario.

Put on a life preserver, take your raft down the Delaware and just enjoy the scenery.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Define "raft" are we talking logs lashed together?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York