Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 05:39 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times

Advertisements

I believe that military pensions are not taxes in NY. Also, as a veteran, you get another reduction in property taxes along with the STAR rebate. You another property tax exemption at age 65 too.

Here's a great retirement guide: Taxes by State: New York to Wyoming

and more information: Property tax exemptions

Also, your husband may be interested in this program: Veterans GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon Benefits | Syracuse University

Military/Veteran Programs

Then, there's a VA Hospital in Syracuse too: Syracuse VA Medical Center Home

Also, is there a specific area of Upstate NY that you and your husband are interested in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 05:48 PM

197 posts, read 522,451 times
Thank you!

Old 06-16-2012, 06:28 PM

Another thing, if you are in the Syracuse area, the Air National Guard Base has a small BX that at times gets extra inventory from Fort Drum.

Also, if you are interested in going to Canada now and then, look into getting an enhanced driver's license. That's if neither one of you do not have a passport. NYS DMV - Enhanced DMV Photo Documents for U.S. Citizens Who are Residents of NYS

Old 06-16-2012, 07:09 PM

Oh thats great info to know, we have passports but they are getting ready to expire and this way is much cheaper the renewing our passports , especially since we will never be using them again. Thats Hancock field you are talking about right?

Old 06-16-2012, 09:47 PM

961 posts, read 2,504,692 times
....Went thru the pics(all of them)...nice job....As for your kind words about the Fort Drum area...I agree. Canada, Lake Ontario, the Adirondacks, etc...many interesting things, all within a short drive from the base. I saw Fort Drum grow/improve over the 20+ years I made visits there courtesy of the Reserves and the Nat Guard (79'-03").

Old 06-17-2012, 05:40 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,604 times
Great pics! Welcome back to NY

Ckhthankgod is right - retired military pensions aren't taxed in NY.
Taxes by State: New York to Wyoming

Old 06-17-2012, 08:07 AM

655 posts, read 2,328,652 times
Default Taxes ~ Boldt ~ Singer ~ Alex ~ "JustRoomEnoughIsld."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyWife94e View Post
My husband will be retiring in one year after doing 20 years of active duty Army. We are retiring in the North Country (Watertown) area.

Approx. How much state taxes would be taken from an average yearly income of 40,000. Right now my husband claims Florida as his home of record and since they have no state taxes none are currently taken out of his check, only ss and fica are taken, so we have no idea how this works.!
Hi ArmyWife & Husband,

I looked this up for you. Everything below is based on you & your husband filing one JOINT/together NY State Income Tax Form. Also there are various Subtractions & Additions (not that many) to your total income amount which you CAN or MAY be required to make to your total NYS TAXABLE Income amount. You may NOT have to make additions but you probably WILL be able to make possible subtractions to your total income. There are too many factors to your specific situation for me to try to figure the Subtractions & any Additions.

Your husband will not have to pay NYS Taxes on his military retirement pension. If he gets a new job with an ordinary private company after leaving the military, then the Income Tax Figures below will apply to THAT new job income.

NY State Tax Amount - Married Filing a Joint Tax Form - NO Subtractions or Additions Have Been Made To Your Private Company Job Income Below - No NYS Tax Required On Military Pensions - Below Figures Based On 2011 Tax Liability

Income Up To: ```` NYS TAX
...$44,000 ------------ $2218
...$42,000 ------------ $2081
...$40,000 ------------ $1945
...$38,000 ------------ $1827
...$36,000 ------------ $1709
...$34,000 ------------ $1591
...$32,000 ------------ $1473

The City of Yonkers and New York City impose Taxes in addition to the above figures, if you live in those cities.

The above figures are just a general outline. Your specific Tax will vary from the figures shown.

Take a look>>

www.1000islands.com/castle/
http://wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BoldtCastle_aerial.jpg
http://www.visit1000islands.com/visi... Bay Docks.jpg
http://www.visit1000islands.com/visi...dge Ca0001.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Th...ngle_house.jpg
www.singercastle.com/seiten/a_photos6.html
www.singercastle.com/seiten/a_photos11.html

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 06-17-2012 at 09:12 AM..

Old 06-17-2012, 09:14 AM

Ah thanks! I feel dumb asking about taxes, I wasnt sure if there was like a flat rate of 6.75% of a pay they took or how it works, since we have never had to pay state taxes before LOL.
I have always wanted to go into Boldt Castle but never did, going to have to do it. I love the thousand islands, especially the Uncle Sam boat tour. I also love going to the Adirondacks in the fall and seeing the ice castle in Saranac Lake.
I cant wait to get back ! Only 11 more months LOL

Old 06-17-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyWife94e View Post
Oh thats great info to know, we have passports but they are getting ready to expire and this way is much cheaper the renewing our passports , especially since we will never be using them again. Thats Hancock field you are talking about right?
Yes it is. You enter at the gate off of Malloy Road.

Also, another interesting thing that you may want to know is that the Syracuse area was ranked in the top 10 places for military retirees by USAA a couple of years ago. https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/ente...places_landing

So, it isn't necessarily odd that you want to retire up here. There is actually a pretty visible military presence in the area outside of Fort Drum, as there is a Coast Guard station in Oswego and ANG Bases in Hancock and Griffiss in Rome. There's a Naval and a Marine Station by Hancock ANG Base too. There's a MEPS in Downtown Syracuse too.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:24 AM

I forgot about Rome, AAFES from Fort Drum hires for the Rome PX.
I didnt know about Syracuse being ranked up there. I know Drum is either a love it or hate it place. Mostly because of the weather. Which I love! It is going to be 98 here today with high humidity and tomorrow it is suppose to be 101 with high humidity. Id rather have 30 below zero and 18 feet of snow then this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York