Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 02:50 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,098,834 times

Advertisements

I hope the moderators will kindly allow this to stay as it is a wonderful report card on the schools in that area:

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbc...gory=SPECIAL01

If any problems with the link, search for recordonline.com then go into the special section which has the school report cards. You can look at the rate of students lagging, keeping up with or exceeding the standards for each of the Regents areas.

Here you can clearly see that Newburgh, Middletown, Port Jervis are clearly areas suffering in many areas.

Good info if you are considering moving up here and want some solid stats about the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 02:47 PM

667 posts, read 1,746,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
I hope the moderators will kindly allow this to stay as it is a wonderful report card on the schools in that area:

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbc...gory=SPECIAL01

If any problems with the link, search for recordonline.com then go into the special section which has the school report cards. You can look at the rate of students lagging, keeping up with or exceeding the standards for each of the Regents areas.

Here you can clearly see that Newburgh, Middletown, Port Jervis are clearly areas suffering in many areas.

Good info if you are considering moving up here and want some solid stats about the schools.
All I can "clearly see" is that overall the scores of these school report cards are not so great -- Only some towns like Tuxedo had an exceptional average. You can shape it any way you want but it's obvious that there is a true need for rehabilitation in our education system in NY State. I wouldn't consider students in Level 2 or even Level 3 as hitting a 'high note'!!

Old 10-18-2006, 03:59 PM

I did not shape this up any way at all. I DID point out the lower three schools. Sorry you don't like it. Newburgh has always lagged the rest of the herd. As have Port Jervis and Middletown.

Why don't you stop the BS attacks here and READ. And if you don't like the stats then call the NYS regents department and let them know yourself! Or better yet call the Newburgh superintendent and ask him why the schools are underperforming...

Old 10-18-2006, 04:12 PM

5 posts, read 23,930 times
Default Ulster school

I grew up in Ulster County and went to school in Saugerties and i thought the educational standards were amazing. I moved to AZ and there was a huge difference in school quality. Yes, the schools are older, but the teachers have many years of experience not to mention the regents exams are a great idea.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:29 AM

667 posts, read 1,746,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
I did not shape this up any way at all. I DID point out the lower three schools. Sorry you don't like it. Newburgh has always lagged the rest of the herd. As have Port Jervis and Middletown.

Why don't you stop the BS attacks here and READ. And if you don't like the stats then call the NYS regents department and let them know yourself! Or better yet call the Newburgh superintendent and ask him why the schools are underperforming...
No, I don't like the stats. I think it's poor all around. The 'attacks' are only a response to your biased hatred for what I happen to call MY home. You Winnie, aren't simply just relaying information to posters in this forum. You go beyond your way to make nasty remarks about Newburgh and Middletown. I get it, you don't recommend these cities. You don't like these cities. Not a problem. But then to start describing it as having "the most disgusting streets in NY State". Full of undesirables. "Avoid it at all costs". There's simply no reason to go there.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:23 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,906,585 times
They are disgusting. Newburgh is horrible. It use to be beautiful. I've read the stories, seen the pictures. Now it's all hookers and gangs. Seriously. If you drive down any of the side streets on Broadway or Broadway itself after dark you're risking your safety. Newburgh has captured the dubious title of most dangerous city in the state of New York with a violent crime rate three times that of New York City [Times Herald-Record 10/23/03]. Take a look at this story.

http://archive.recordonline.com/news...orts/newburgh/

or this website:

(broken link)

Middletown and Port Jervis have increasing rates of violent and petty crimes though neither are as bad as Newburgh. Downtown Middletown used to be fairly safe, now it's not.

The cities of Orange County are an embarrassement to the county and the state at large. Corruption is rampant in all of them (Middletown's police were so corrupt they were taken over by the state, the mayor has ties to organized crime), and every few years we hear about some urban rennaissance project that ends with a developer out a lot of money, the state and HUD and taxpayers fleeced, and nothing changed.

Last edited by Yac; 10-20-2006 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: link removed

Old 10-20-2006, 02:40 PM

I don't care if it is your hometown. People deserve the FACTS. And this thread was directed at the schools in Orange county. People deserve to know the stats of the school districts they are moving in to.

All you are showing is that you are opposed to allowing others their opinion on your city. I base my statements on facts and observations.

Including commonly seeing people pissing on the street like animals, spitting at people, mugging women and seeing drug dealers out there rampant because the police won't even begin to address the problem. how about the riots of the 70's or the fact that they had to institute armed guards at NFA????

Go ahead and tell people to move to Newburgh. Then when they do they can moan and bit$h at you.. I sure won't be responsible for getting one sorry sucker to move there.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:44 PM

And another thing. i can't help but wonder why out of the several posters here who have had nasty things to say about Newburgh that you have picked ME to argue with...

Because most here from Orange have been more than agreeable with my assessments of Southern NY..

Old 10-20-2006, 10:46 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,477,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
No, I don't like the stats. I think it's poor all around. The 'attacks' are only a response to your biased hatred for what I happen to call MY home. You Winnie, aren't simply just relaying information to posters in this forum. You go beyond your way to make nasty remarks about Newburgh and Middletown. I get it, you don't recommend these cities. You don't like these cities. Not a problem. But then to start describing it as having "the most disgusting streets in NY State". Full of undesirables. "Avoid it at all costs". There's simply no reason to go there.

That's the truth, why not tell it. Newburgh is disgusting and has been for years. Middletown a little better but Newburgh
Riots, drugs , since the 70's.

Why would you want people to consider moving there and send their kids to NFA? That would be a dangerous thing. This is what this forum is about.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:50 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,477,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post

That's the truth, why not tell it. Newburgh is disgusting and has been for years. Middletown a little better but Newburgh

Riots, drugs,gangs, hookers since the 70's. The SWAT team had to be called to the High School on numerous occasions. They have metal detectors now at NFA.

Why would you want people to consider moving there and send their kids to NFA? That would be a dangerous thing. This is what this forum is about.

It should be avoided at all cost!!!!! Why would you want to move there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York