Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 01:22 PM

32 posts, read 130,118 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We've found a house in Monroe New York that we'd like to buy. Problem is the roof has a leak on one side causing mold in one of the bathrooms and a bedroom. Should we stay away from it completely? we've no experience in this area and our Realtor advised us to replace the roof completely and hire someone to get rid of the mold. Is it possible to truly get rid of the mold? The house is 35 years old. Thank you for any advice you can offer!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 04:56 PM

30 posts, read 91,897 times
Unfortunately - I would probably stay away. We bought a home 10 yrs ago that had undisclosed water damage in the basement - which at the time was completely finished with a bathroom (the source of the problem). We paid a company to do mold remediation which included gutting the entire basement, which cost about 10K. We were left with an unfinished basement with no money to remodel it and our home and personal effects smelled like chlorine for several years after. Despite this, we still have issues with mold throughout the home - particularly in the areas above where the worst mold was found. This now affects our ability to sell our home. I am not saying it's not possible to get rid of the mold completely but our feeling is better to not buy it than spend the money for mold remediation, remodeling and then possible future issues.

Others may have more positive stories.....

Old 04-09-2012, 06:30 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,604 times
I've heard other stories, similar to the one posted above. Mold is very costly and difficult to get rid of. Often the issue that caused the mold in the first place isn't addressed properly, and mold problems persist. Plus, when you want to resell the home it is difficult. Most people don't want to deal with a home with mold problems.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:08 AM

332 posts, read 613,941 times
I would not buy it unless the current owner completely replaces the roof (ripping off the current one, not going over it), does a comprehensive mold removal, and then an independent inspector ok's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicia327 View Post
Hi,

We've found a house in Monroe New York that we'd like to buy. Problem is the roof has a leak on one side causing mold in one of the bathrooms and a bedroom. Should we stay away from it completely? we've no experience in this area and our Realtor advised us to replace the roof completely and hire someone to get rid of the mold. Is it possible to truly get rid of the mold? The house is 35 years old. Thank you for any advice you can offer!!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:18 AM

131 posts, read 439,933 times
Walk, run, sprint away! I have seen many examples and they have all been after tearing out the walls. I wish I had taken pictures of the black, jelly-like mass that used to be the framing!
Once mold has developed inside walls, a complete teardown and replacement is the only answer. A leak in the roof has allowed moisture to permeate the walls and framing down to the basement. The mold will eat away slowly but surely and you'll never know.
No need to even consider this house in the buyers market we have now.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:35 AM

382 posts, read 1,531,438 times
You could get an estimate for the cost of doing the repair work (tearing off the roof etc) and then ask for a credit from the seller in your offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York