Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 05:34 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,909,787 times

Advertisements

Just want to know from RE agents and Fellow Parents...If I have to move to Rockland, What the top 5 districts in Rockland.

I keep hearing that Clarkstown schools are "the one" you want to be in. I want to purchase not only for schools, but also for future (when it happens) appreciation value, in case the market bounces back 10 years from now.

Where are the towns where you see the "new contruction" type of home..I dont really see those unless you go up to stony point, but we have heard they are far from the major shopping venues, and also the schools are sub par.

Comming from Dutchess, its NOT the shopping that we want as it is the convenience of NOT having to drive 20-30 minutes to get to everything. With kids in tow, its just easier to live "near everything"..but I want to make sure that schools are #1 on our list.

Where should a soccer mom start in her search? The other option we have in Monroe in Orange county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 07:31 PM

277 posts, read 773,976 times
Besides Clarkstown, the other good school districts are South Orangetown, Nanuet and Pearl River. Also, Ramapo schools are good, but DO NOT confuse with East Ramapo (definately want to avoid).

As for new construction, you will pretty much only find townhouses and McMansion style homes. I see them in New City, Pearl River, West Nyack, Pomona.

If you are seeking the soccer mom life, you will probably fit in really well in New City LOL. Hope this helps

BTW, if you can afford Rockland, I wouldn't even give Monroe a second thought. The schools are getting very overcrowded, property taxes are getting crazy, and the options of nice restaurants compared to Rockland are nowhere in the same league (thats a big factor for me )

Old 09-02-2007, 01:29 PM

52 posts, read 567,561 times
I think Clarkstown are the best schools in Rockland. Pearl River, Nanuet and Orangetown as mentioned abover are the others that are really good too.

The advantage of the Clarkstown school district that it 'covers' many towns so you aren't limited to just one or two towns as you are with the other districts.

There is a lot of new construction in Clarkstown, it will be easy to find. I would look in West Nyack, New City and Congers. There is a new development planned in Congers called Davies Farms Estates I believe. I saw some projections and it looks beautiful - mostly lake front (on Lake DeForest) properties. I believe they will start at $1.5 million for non-lake front and go up from there. New construction in Rockland will be very costly, anywhere in the county but Clarkstown is esp pricey and keep the taxes in mind, too.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:23 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,909,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
Besides Clarkstown, the other good school districts are South Orangetown, Nanuet and Pearl River. Also, Ramapo schools are good, but DO NOT confuse with East Ramapo (definately want to avoid).

As for new construction, you will pretty much only find townhouses and McMansion style homes. I see them in New City, Pearl River, West Nyack, Pomona.

If you are seeking the soccer mom life, you will probably fit in really well in New City LOL. Hope this helps

BTW, if you can afford Rockland, I wouldn't even give Monroe a second thought. The schools are getting very overcrowded, property taxes are getting crazy, and the options of nice restaurants compared to Rockland are nowhere in the same league (thats a big factor for me )
LOL..Okay..I am not interested in the helicopter mom /soccer mom..but I just want a place with children. And I am not sure if we can even afford it..I just wanted to know!!!

What do you guys think of ramapo.chestut ridge area, and what about stony point? I am sure there is a reason why the the homes are less there right ? LOL.

I did come across alot of them that I liked (more new construction)..is it far from major shopping.

And can someone enlighted me, what is the deal with monroe..its ranted and raved about..corruption maybe?

Old 09-02-2007, 09:41 PM

277 posts, read 773,976 times
Chestnut Ridge is a catch 22 because it's an extremely nice area, but it is zoned the same as Spring Valley and therefore is part of East Ramapo schools. I think a lot of families in CR send their kids to private school. I could be mistaken but there may be some neighborhoods that are zoned for Pearl River schools.

Stony Point has some really spectacular homes but it is the most northern part of Rockland and is definately a little out of the way of major shopping. Plus it has North Rockland schools which aren't the best.

Nothing against Monroe, but take a drive through it, and then around Rockland. I think you'll find that there is just so much "more" to Rockland.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:39 AM

110 posts, read 496,745 times
Hi
Chestnut Ridge is East Rampo and it is the other way around, some homes in Pearl River are zoned East Rampo. As mentioned above the school districts that are very good are Clarkstown, Pearl River, Nanuet, Orangetown, Nyack and North Rockland is pretty good also, which is Stony Point. Let me know if I can help you! Good Luck

Old 09-25-2007, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 35,064 times
Wow... Wish I knew about this forum when we were buying. Nevertheless, we have been in Rockland for several or more years now and my neighborhood is great (I can not complain). Unfortunately it is in East Ramapo District and I have to say (It is still better than the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens Schools). Although I have heard some really not so nice things about this districts schools, it still remains with the Parents, the children, and their up bringing. Schools do not raise children, the parents do and if your hands on (PTA, Boards, and Committes) your children will do well. Believe me my husband and I were raised in the Bronx (we survived) because of our parents, nevertheless, East Ramapo has nothing on the Bronx schools!!!...lol.

With that said, I know how it feels to want the absolute best for your children... We were looking into the Rockland Country Day School, does anyone know of any other private schools?

Old 09-25-2007, 01:20 PM

19,259 posts, read 17,124,258 times
With housing costs the way they are in Rockland you might be better off finding a house you can safely afford then see what private/parochial school would run. Clarkstown is considered the best even when I graduated in the 70's but it is not an enviroment I would have wanted my kids to attend.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:10 PM

52 posts, read 567,561 times
^^^
Why is that, VA? Just wondering, I'm a recent grad from CHSN. Kids with too much money and time maybe. Very competitive - to a fault. Same reasons?

Old 09-27-2007, 11:21 AM

19,259 posts, read 17,124,258 times
Suburban Dweller, In my day (70's) it was know as Rah Rah High, just a big loaf of white bread with 3 minorities out of 450 Grads. Your right Too Much Money, time absentee parents and an attitude of you must tgo to college or your a failure. I have relatives who just graduated in recent years (neice etc.) and they fit the mold to a tee.

My values are different and I didn't want my kids feeling ostrized(sic) just because I don't have the right job or car.

Just my opinion... :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York