Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:47 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,583,101 times

Advertisements

New York City and Upstate (the real Upstate, that is - north and west of the Hudson Valley) are not in each others' daily consciousness at all.

New York City is just as exotic to Upstaters as Chicago is to them, I think. And it seems that NYC folks will roadtrip or vacation anywhere BUT Upstate (except maybe the Adirondacks).

I think both groups of people make the mistake of thinking "the other New York" is simpler to grasp than "their" New York. However, just like there are different boroughs and neighborhoods in NYC to know about, there are different regions and cities in Upstate NY which are all different. They are just scattered over a wider area.

As for me, planning another trip to NYC (I was last there as a kid) would be overwhelming because I know there is so much to see and do and not enough time. I would have to guess that some NYC people feel the same way about Upstate. When considering a trip to NYC, money is the big stumbling block. For people from NYC, getting physically around the vastness of Upstate can be the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 03:52 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,823,445 times
I live outside Buffalo and if NYC dwellers never come upstate except to ski or vacation in the areas that are currently "in", I couldn't be happier.

I grew up near NYC. Spent lots of time in NYC. I have family in and around NYC . I left about 42 years go and only go back to stop in and see friends who have chosen to live there and see relatives. It is like "ants crawling on candy" there. Too crowded, too noisy, too smelly, etc... I could go on and won't. [My one daughter won't go at all anymore because of the bedbugs!]

Oh, and most of the people I know have gone to NYC. They are about as impressed like it like they are of tourist traps like Disney... may visit again, but they don't go live there.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:08 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,275,452 times
Quote:
When considering a trip to NYC, money is the big stumbling block
Actually I've found most things outside rent to be cheaper Downstate. I stay in Newburgh when I go which is a great place to park a car and hop an MTA train into the city. A room at the Super 8 right off the Thruway down there is 65 bucks tax included while the same room is 85-100 Upstate. Getting around the city is very cheap, an all day Metro Card for the subway is like 12 bucks. Food is all over the map, everything from a slice and a coke to 21 so thats on you. Some attractions cost afew bucks like the Empire State building is 22 bucks but others like the Staten Island Ferry which let you see the skyline and Statue of Liberty are free.

A trip costs me 21 dollars in road and bridge tolls plus 35$ in gas RT. 2-3 people having a nice little weekend is easy for under 200 clams.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:51 AM

93,593 posts, read 124,293,378 times
Outside of just rent? Newburgh is going to be cheaper than NYC, but it is quite a distance still.

I think people have summed it up in that this can go both ways. I also don't get the lack of cities angle, as you at least have a decent sized city within an hour of most Upstate NYers.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:24 AM

Newburgh is were I stay, then cross the bridge into Beacon and park. Then its just a hop skip and a jump to GCT on Metro North. Totally painless.

I live in CNY. The nearest "city" to me is NYC. I mean legally Sherril is a "city" so its all in how one defines it.

I like cities to be around people. I like crowds, in small doses of coarse. Nothing anywhere within many hours drive of me comes close to Canal St. Or Time Square. How about 42st at Midnite?? I love it.

To me cities like Syracuse, Buffalo and like sized are more like large villages. I know they legally are cities but they are tiny and for the most part very few or no people. Collections of strip malls really.

Washington DC, Seattle and other cities also give me the same big city feeling.

Last edited by Sean®; 11-12-2011 at 07:33 AM..

Old 11-13-2011, 06:59 AM

93,593 posts, read 124,293,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Newburgh is were I stay, then cross the bridge into Beacon and park. Then its just a hop skip and a jump to GCT on Metro North. Totally painless.

I live in CNY. The nearest "city" to me is NYC. I mean legally Sherril is a "city" so its all in how one defines it.

I like cities to be around people. I like crowds, in small doses of coarse. Nothing anywhere within many hours drive of me comes close to Canal St. Or Time Square. How about 42st at Midnite?? I love it.

To me cities like Syracuse, Buffalo and like sized are more like large villages. I know they legally are cities but they are tiny and for the most part very few or no people. Collections of strip malls really.

Washington DC, Seattle and other cities also give me the same big city feeling.
Small villages and strip malls says the guy that lives in Oneida. Really?

You can have a place where it is urban, but isn't NYC or a top 25 city in population. All of those Upstate cities are more dense than many cities that have more people.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:40 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,647,029 times
I've been to NYC-but it just doesn't do much for me I've not gone down in close to 10 years-last time was to take my Girl Scout troop to see Ringling Brothers. I am just not fascinated with it all. Yes, there is plenty to do. I do like going to shows-but they are darn right pricey for a family of 5, so that's been out of reach for us. I've gone to the Intrepid, seen shows, gone to the Javits Center for trade shows, The Statue of Liberty, seen the Rockettes at the Christmas show, gone to FAO Shwartz, gone skating on the plaza and a few other things along the way. I honestly have not much desire to go back down anytime soon. I know my older kids-19 and 21 hop a train and go down for many things-that's fine by me-I don't have to go. I prefer a nice quiet nice with a campfire over the hustle and bustle. But if someone paid for me to go-I'd go no problem.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:21 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,744,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
I've been to NYC-but it just doesn't do much for me I've not gone down in close to 10 years-last time was to take my Girl Scout troop to see Ringling Brothers. I am just not fascinated with it all. Yes, there is plenty to do. I do like going to shows-but they are darn right pricey for a family of 5, so that's been out of reach for us. I've gone to the Intrepid, seen shows, gone to the Javits Center for trade shows, The Statue of Liberty, seen the Rockettes at the Christmas show, gone to FAO Shwartz, gone skating on the plaza and a few other things along the way. I honestly have not much desire to go back down anytime soon. I know my older kids-19 and 21 hop a train and go down for many things-that's fine by me-I don't have to go. I prefer a nice quiet nice with a campfire over the hustle and bustle. But if someone paid for me to go-I'd go no problem.
Your post makes a great point as to why some upstate residents would not go to NYC -- it is expensive if you're bringing family. I enjoy NYC a few times a year -- get in, do my thing, get out. My preference, however, is getting outdoors where the only things towering above me are trees on the mountains.

Once a person gets beyond a certain distance from the hustle and bustle of NYC, it's no longer a day trip and overnight accommodations have to be taken into account. That also holds true for those of us downstate looking to visit upstate sites. I love salmon fishing, but need to set aside a minimum of 4 days to travel to and from Pulaski while allowing some quality time on the river.

IMHO NYers should familiarize themselves with all parts of our state -- there are so many great things to see and do!

Old 11-13-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Small villages and strip malls says the guy that lives in Oneida. Really?

You can have a place where it is urban, but isn't NYC or a top 25 city in population. All of those Upstate cities are more dense than many cities that have more people.
Exactly. Upstate is the land of strip malls. Sherrill has a couple, Oneida 4-5, Utica 20 and Syracuse has 30 or whatever. All of Upstate is pretty much the same just bigger places have more of them. A Family Dollar/Rite Aid and a pizza place and Chinese buffet and a Rent A Center. Rinse and repeat. Add a Walmart and Lowes. Utica and Syracuse add a Bed Bath& Beyond and Hobby Lobby. Rochester and Buffalo add afew specialty stores.

None of these have anything I would call urban. That doesn't have to be a bad thing, some people don't like it. But to me a "city" has people in it. Of the several dozen times I have been to DT Syracuse this year I don't think I have ever seen more then a dozen people on a weekday and none at all on a weekend. People don't interact person to person Upstate and to me thats a "city". Sometimes traffic is heavy, I guess thats being part of the herd up here, sitting in our cars giving each other the finger.

Three places I can think of hand are anywhere in NYC, almost anywhere in DC and the Pikes Market area in Seattle. Closest thing I've ever seen to those Upstate would be a small taste at the State Fair on a record setting day but even thats a stretch.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:27 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,723,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Exactly. Upstate is the land of strip malls. Sherrill has a couple, Oneida 4-5, Utica 20 and Syracuse has 30 or whatever. All of Upstate is pretty much the same just bigger places have more of them. A Family Dollar/Rite Aid and a pizza place and Chinese buffet and a Rent A Center. Rinse and repeat. Add a Walmart and Lowes. Utica and Syracuse add a Bed Bath& Beyond and Hobby Lobby. Rochester and Buffalo add afew specialty stores.

None of these have anything I would call urban. That doesn't have to be a bad thing, some people don't like it. But to me a "city" has people in it. Of the several dozen times I have been to DT Syracuse this year I don't think I have ever seen more then a dozen people on a weekday and none at all on a weekend. People don't interact person to person Upstate and to me thats a "city". Sometimes traffic is heavy, I guess thats being part of the herd up here, sitting in our cars giving each other the finger.

Three places I can think of hand are anywhere in NYC, almost anywhere in DC and the Pikes Market area in Seattle. Closest thing I've ever seen to those Upstate would be a small taste at the State Fair on a record setting day but even thats a stretch.
strip malls are in every suburban area in the country... If you look at the strip mall atmosphere, you will see way less in places like Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse compared to other cities outside of the northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York