Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:31 PM

406 posts, read 1,452,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlgypsie View Post
Excuse me but moving from "downstate" is not the same as moving across the US, plus your probably a native of NY anyway. And the stuff you call strange is not just isolated to the west coast last I recall, fires swept across the southeast earlier this summer, flooding hit the midwest and earthquakes can happen anywhere. In fact a lot of folks don't realize that the area with the greatest and most dangerous fault line is the New Madrid Fault that runs from near Memphis, TN to St. Louis, MO. Anyway, I'm glad you've found the people friendly, count your blessings and be happy. BTW, we are very happy living far, far away from the cuse.
You misunderstood me. What I think is strange is your hatred for the area. While no place is paradise, this area works not only for me but for many other folks from out of the area . If you knew anything about New York, you would know that people from downstate are viewed as more suspect than people from more rural areas and would have a harder time fitting in. We have not found this to be true for us or for any other newcomers we have talked to. And last I checked upstate N.Y. is nowhere near the southeast, midwest , Memphis, TN or St. Louis MO. and recieves none of the intense weather you mentioned.Thank you, I will count my blessings and am glad you are happy far away from here.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:01 PM

8 posts, read 26,656 times
Girlgypsie,

What part of California were you from and how long ago did you move to Camillus?? Are your children native Californians??? With all your traveling experience, what would you consider to be the best place to raise children in NEw York if Camillus has not been favorable?

Old 11-08-2007, 07:54 PM

6 posts, read 22,470 times
One is a native of California, one of Texas we are from Illinois and Georgia. In hindsight if we could do it over again I would not live in Camilus but maybe out towards Radisson where there seemed to be a little more in the way of transient people. However, I will say all of the suburban schools seemed very good.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:17 PM

3,526 posts, read 9,441,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlgypsie View Post
One is a native of California, one of Texas we are from Illinois and Georgia. In hindsight if we could do it over again I would not live in Camilus but maybe out towards Radisson where there seemed to be a little more in the way of transient people. However, I will say all of the suburban schools seemed very good.
I agree. The northern suburbs are the best place to live in CNY IMO. Why? Three reasons. 1. More transient population 2. Has the most new construction and change.....it's actually improving and becoming better every year! 3. Is cut off from the City. If you live in the northern suburbs, there is no need to go into the city if you don't work there (well, besides Carousel Mall for shopping ) Plus, generally city residents and SU students never go into the northern suburbs. For these reasons I've always liked the northern burbs the best....

Old 12-19-2007, 02:52 AM

66 posts, read 201,722 times
I'm considering taking a job offer at SU and moving to Syracuse from a very large and famous city outside of the US. I'm concerned about all the negative info I keep seeing about Syracuse, it's people, weather, and neighborhoods. I hate snow, but am considering living with it as the job would be nice. Is it really that closed-minded? What about foreigners??
I don't drive, so public transport is important to me, so I was concerned about where to live where I could get on the bus quickly to get to work. Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Old 12-19-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalTransplant View Post
I'm concerned about all the negative info I keep seeing about Syracuse, it's people, weather, and neighborhoods. I hate snow, but am considering living with it as the job would be nice. Is it really that closed-minded? What about foreigners??
Is it really that closed-minded?

NO, many people resist change, but they are not closed minded.

This may sound strange, but most folks older than 40 years of age like Syracuse the way it is today. They do not want this city to turn into a fast growing, cosmopolitan, international city. This could be why Upstate NY may seem backwards to outsiders. The fear of change is real here.

What about foreigners?

There are many thousands of foreigners who call Syracuse home. IMO foreigners are treated nicer than locals. Why? Foreigners often come off as "less threatening".

Keep in mind that Syracuse is in the same State as New York City. The State of New York has virtually ignored Syracuse for the past 20+ years!!! Syracuse is in the condition it is in today due this injustice. New York State panders to New York City and hasn't created a good economic climate for cities like Syracuse to thrive. High property taxes, high energy costs, unfair development laws etc.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 12-19-2007 at 04:35 PM..

Old 12-21-2007, 06:31 AM

Default Hmmm... this is disconcerting

I can appreciate the resistance to change, but at the same time, if no one wishes it and tries to be creative about it, the state's not gonna bother tossing money to Syracuse, no?
So, this is a bit disconcerting for me, whether to move from a world city to one that seems to be not reinventing itself fast enough to address the ills that it finds in itself...

Old 12-21-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalTransplant View Post
I can appreciate the resistance to change, but at the same time, if no one wishes it and tries to be creative about it, the state's not gonna bother tossing money to Syracuse, no?
Very good point!

Old 12-22-2007, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,526 times
if you dont mind small towns,look into hannibal or sterling.20miles northwest of syr.
basically no crime and (the reason i moved here from western mass),,dirt cheap housing.

in 99 when i came our 2br house w/garage on 2.5 acres cost us 37k.
if you spent near 100k today youd have quite a place.
prices are much higher than 99,but still very good. last summer while browsing homes,i found a 3500+ sq ft museum quality Victorian early 1900s remodel to original,even paint colors, on 2.? acres with the back yard going to some river.....it was about 165k. it was farther north than we wanted to commute to work.
back in western mass ita cost close to 1 mill. id guess
put another way,we dont even know anyone that spent 50k for a home.

also hannibal is about 7 miles from lake ontario,sterling is on the lake. waterfront can be had in the 100k range,acreage maybe 5k -10k per waterfront. regular non waterfront can be had for 1k per if you look.

good luck
roy

Last edited by roystr; 12-22-2007 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: missing word

Old 12-22-2007, 10:38 AM

the small towns and suburbs sound interesting, but the problem again is that i don't drive and would to rely on public transportation to get to work at SU. hence the concern about where to live on a reliable bus line.
but thanks for the info on the affordable housing. i would be interested to find out more about renting a place initially, and what areas to rent in with decent apartment (on a busline).
thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York