Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:43 AM

117 posts, read 245,020 times

Advertisements

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 09:43 AM

715 posts, read 2,510,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
We took my son to check out Oswego. He would have received a nice scholarship from them, but the biggest issue was the building in the picture. The building will be a good thing.

The old bio and chem buildings stood next to one another, separated by a narrow alley. We were told (during the campus visit in Nov 2009) that one of the buildings (bio I believe) was to be leveled first. New construction would commence on that site. When that side was finished, chem would be leveled and new construction start there, culminating with both buildings being joined and then the new sciences building opened. In 11/2009 they hadn't broken ground -- it is great to see the new construction under way.

Classes were to be spread out through other buildings during construction.

If your major is science, it is inconvenient to not have a central building which on campus. In my son's case, the construction would be taking place for 3 years out of his 4 UG years.

On the positive side -- the new building will be incredible once finished. The current labs at Oswego were state-of-the-art in the 1950's and 60's.

The campus itself is lovely, the freshman dorm beautiful (especially if you get a lakeside suite) and the student activities building very new with almost everything you will need under it's roof. There was also construction underwater for another dorm which resembled a small village. It appeared to be close to completion then.
Yes - I go to SUNY Oswego, and maneuvering around the construction isn't optimal. I received the (top) presidential scholarship from them which is worth $4400 a year, I assume your son was offered the same? The building from which the picture was taken is known as Syngg Hall, the current Bio/Chem/Physics building. The building in the upper left of the picture, Piez, is out of commission due to the construction. Piez was another science building and its closure has put much stress on Snygg. As a science major myself (meteorology), we are fortunately based in a central building during the duration of construction (not Snygg).

The campus is nice and the freshman dorm you speak of is Johnson, arguably the nicest place to live on campus. The other construction was of "The Village" - this has been completed and is now open (at a higher price) to juniors and seniors. Demand is outrageous.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:20 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,736,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post
Yes - I go to SUNY Oswego, and maneuvering around the construction isn't optimal. I received the (top) presidential scholarship from them which is worth $4400 a year, I assume your son was offered the same? The building from which the picture was taken is known as Syngg Hall, the current Bio/Chem/Physics building. The building in the upper left of the picture, Piez, is out of commission due to the construction. Piez was another science building and its closure has put much stress on Snygg. As a science major myself (meteorology), we are fortunately based in a central building during the duration of construction (not Snygg).

The campus is nice and the freshman dorm you speak of is Johnson, arguably the nicest place to live on campus. The other construction was of "The Village" - this has been completed and is now open (at a higher price) to juniors and seniors. Demand is outrageous.
He was offered the Presidential scholarship, yes that had to have been it as I recall it was somewhere around $5K. SBU offered $12K (Presidential and Science study area specific, combined.) He was leaning heavily toward marine science, so SBU and it's SoMAS School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences combined with marine facilities at Southampton (that portion of campus is still open) made it an offer he couldn't refuse. UNH was going to give him some nice money, too, but he was set on SBU.

I liked the improvements we saw at Oswego both planned and in progress. My friends who are Oswego alum (mid 80's) are amazed at the great changes taking place there.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
SUNY Oswego has great science programs and is one of the few SUNY schools to offer a degree in Meteorology. It is literally ON Lake Ontario - the premier science setting (see picture below). A brand new state-of-the-art science building is about 25% done (see below, again) and is expected to be completed by 2013.
2013? I'm graduating before that.
Any other suggestions? Probably near the Quebec border?

Old 08-15-2011, 10:59 PM

715 posts, read 2,510,862 times
I can only think of Plattsburgh

Old 08-16-2011, 03:58 AM

Quote:
I can only think of Plattsburgh
I will check that out
Do you know anything about their science department?

Old 08-16-2011, 07:13 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,736,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy345 View Post
2013? I'm graduating before that.
Any other suggestions? Probably near the Quebec border?
When are you graduating? If 2012, the building at Oswego should be completed the following year. You would be inconvenienced for 1 or 2 semesters during your lower level courses. In my son's case, he would have been inconvenienced from Freshman until late junior year. My suggestion would be to keep it as an option.

If this building turns out anything like the new labs the state built in Southampton, the labs are going to be amazing. I wish I had access to labs like that when I was in school.

I am excited for you. You're at a great time in your life -- looking ahead toward the future and all the possibilities available to you. Best of luck!

Old 08-16-2011, 07:41 AM

93,464 posts, read 124,189,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy345 View Post
I will check that out
Do you know anything about their science department?
Biological Science Programs at SUNY Plattsburgh - Major in Medical Technology

Math & Science at SUNY Plattsburgh

Perhaps these programs might work for you too: Biology Department at SUNY Potsdam

Department of Physics - SUNY Potsdam

The Department of Chemistry - SUNY Potsdam

Majors, Minors and Programs | St. Lawrence University Academics

Old 08-16-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
When are you graduating? If 2012, the building at Oswego should be completed the following year. You would be inconvenienced for 1 or 2 semesters during your lower level courses. In my son's case, he would have been inconvenienced from Freshman until late junior year. My suggestion would be to keep it as an option.

If this building turns out anything like the new labs the state built in Southampton, the labs are going to be amazing. I wish I had access to labs like that when I was in school.

I am excited for you. You're at a great time in your life -- looking ahead toward the future and all the possibilities available to you. Best of luck!
Why thank you, and yes... in 2012!

Old 08-16-2011, 03:02 PM

Thankss!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York