Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 04:58 PM

19 posts, read 33,779 times

Advertisements

I was working till today as a FT employee for a NY state-run-agency. I got this job through a local staffing agency though. But, the employer [the firm] told me today that they don’t need my services any more. So, basically my employment has been ended.
I worked Full-time, 40 hours per week for almost 6 weeks. All the ‘taxes’ were deducted from my pay check. I don’t know what I should do to claim for Unemployment Insurance/benefits[UI].
[1] Does the state treat staffing agency as an employer or the organization I worked for was my employer? The company I was working for is run by state government.
[2] Does the qualification for “UnEmployed Insurance [UI]” depend on total household income as my spouse still works FT?
[3] What is the ‘duration of employment’ to be eligible for getting the UI.
[4] Which ‘state agency’ should I contact to claim the UI? Is it One Stop Center in NY State?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 09:17 PM

984 posts, read 2,712,476 times
Let me google that for you

Old 06-23-2011, 05:38 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
I believe you need to have worked at the same place for 6 months to be eligible for unemployment. If you're employed by the temp agency, you're still employed... just not working. They need to find you something or you need to find another job.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:09 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I believe you need to have worked at the same place for 6 months to be eligible for unemployment. If you're employed by the temp agency, you're still employed... just not working. They need to find you something or you need to find another job.

I don't think this is true. If you make any amount of money over $2000 I believe you are eligible. Check the NYS Department of Labor website for more details, but from what I know, you should qualify.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:00 PM

50 posts, read 128,085 times
Default Why did they contact my last 2 employers?

I have a question on unemployment insurance.
I understand that a notice was sent out to my former employer,(the one that let me go) but why did they send a notice to the employer that I left back in April of this year? Was it because I was only at my last job for 5 months? Is the old employer liable to pay anything, or is just for information? Kind of embarrassing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York