Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:51 AM

3 posts, read 15,351 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband is considering a job offer with BAE Systems in Johnson City outside of Binghamton. I've read all the horrible things about Binghamton (economically depressed, psychologically depressed, gloomy, ugly, etc.). But I am hoping for some positive feedback.
We live in DC and we are really hoping to find the quintessential small town outside of Binghamton to raise our family and get out of the DC Beltway congestion.
So, please tell me what do you like about Binghamton???
Are there any wonderful small towns to live in near Binghamton??

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 7,732 times
Hi, I honestly don't think Binghamton is all that bad. I grew up in Windsor which is a small town outside of Binghamton. I currently live in Long Island and I really miss the area a lot. For me, it was hard moving from such a small area to a huge suburb. I think you are better moving to one of the towns outside of Binghamton however. Binghamton is nice because everything is close but like you said, some parts of it are a little "ugly" looking. I suggest maybe looking into Vestal or Endwell if you want the city type of living. Vestal is a little more expensive than the other areas but their are some VERY nice houses there. If you want to live in a more rural area, Chenango Forks is a nice area as is Susquhanna Valley. Good luck.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:32 PM

961 posts, read 2,504,692 times
You'll probably get some responses...it's not hel#....that's another mile down the road...blah, blah, blah. Do a search on my posts. I challenge those who slam the area. I have family involved in (not right in the area) govt/land use and private sector planning. We discuss a lot. Start by sending me a private message on where you're coming from, and what things you and your husband will be looking for. I AM NOT A REALTOR. I'll try to provide you both w/REALISTIC info you both can use in your decision. I've helped a few others.
One important thing...Binghamton is an integral part of the southern tier and is not an isolated town all by itself....Your FIRST thing to remember.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:34 PM

254 posts, read 1,142,773 times
Default Binghamton is very nice

If you are coming from the DC metro, Binghamton will be that charming city shining in a midnight sky. Really, its not a bad little town. Just drive around and you will see the beautiful victorian and other style houses, many of which are not run down. The downtown has taken its hits and needs a bit of sprucing up but dont ever judge a city on one little part or one or two neighborhoods.
There is somewhere on the NY forum a picture tour of Binghamton. Look for it and go through it. You will be simply amazed at the beauty and charm this city has. Dont give up on it yet and be careful listing to the nay-sayers. What a beautiful river and riverside park they have. It has flooded several times and creates a disaster to be sure but just dont buy next to the river.

Good luck

Old 07-23-2007, 03:08 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,669,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedaettel View Post
Hello,
My husband is considering a job offer with BAE Systems in Johnson City outside of Binghamton. I've read all the horrible things about Binghamton (economically depressed, psychologically depressed, gloomy, ugly, etc.). But I am hoping for some positive feedback.
We live in DC and we are really hoping to find the quintessential small town outside of Binghamton to raise our family and get out of the DC Beltway congestion.
So, please tell me what do you like about Binghamton???
Are there any wonderful small towns to live in near Binghamton??

Thanks so much
Hi, My son in law works for BAE........great place to work for.
His family has lived there forever.
There are some wonderful homes in Vestal or Endicott. There is a great development in Endicott high on the hill. Look up Rachael, Elton, or Foxboro Ln.Just a beautiful place, that area I love. There is a nice pool to go swimming in outside of town. The zoo is small but fun for the kids. A few very nice parks and most have the carousels that Binghamton is known for.
Thats right, do not buy by the river........they have some big floods there.
Get your water tested due to chemicals over the years. (lower areas by IBM)
There is good shopping in Vestal and movie theaters. They have the best Sams Club I have ever been in. Sometimes in the spring there is a huge book sale just outside of town, that a book publisher does......and all their books go on tremendous sales. Its nice to drive the back roads to the finger lakes, and wine country. It is a fun way to get there, with not a soul in your way.
Syracuse is only one hour and 20 min. away and it has a huge, mall. Plus it has the Amtrack train, and bus depot together all in one.
The Binghamton Airport is so, so, handy. But if you don't want a prop.....look carefully. Delta is mostly jet, thankgoodness. I just went out of there after coming to Binghamton quickly from Myrtle Beach.........it was a great smooth trip. I've taken the Greyhound bus into Scranton, as a half way point back home here in Pa. that is handy.
You'd be fine. The homes also in Binghamton itself are so reasonable, some areas being better then others.
They have shows in the Arena of all types........ Owego, is a small town also outside of Binghamton......you might like it. The ride would be short to his work......and it is a cute, charming place..........
Best of luck to you..........

Last edited by Summering; 07-23-2007 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: words

Old 07-23-2007, 07:51 PM

Thank you so much for the very helpful and positive posts. I'm so happy to hear good things about the area and surrounding communities. We will be going up soon to take a close look at everything. Will definitely check out that neighborhood in Endicott. If you know of any others to suggest would be great...looking for something rural but still in a neighborhood (not isolated)...I like to know my neighbors.
Thanks again!

Old 07-24-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much for the very helpful and positive posts. I'm so happy to hear good things about the area and surrounding communities. We will be going up soon to take a close look at everything. Will definitely check out that neighborhood in Endicott. If you know of any others to suggest would be great...looking for something rural but still in a neighborhood (not isolated)...I like to know my neighbors.
Thanks again!
Isolated would be more like Apalachin, NY. or Conklin..C/Forks / Kirkwood, although I love these areas myself, because I love a bit more secluded and more land.
I think you will love the neighborhoods up by Foxboro, just gorgeous homes and nice land. Good people........Go up Hayes to Taft if you mapquest find Rachel or Foxboro. It is not far from anything.....10 min. to the airport or so, and a short ride to the Vestal area. Vestal is not all that bad either, close to shopping.........Everything is close to Binghamton, no real need to live inside the town. Though there is some nice areas there too, over by the hospital but not too close to the river area........thinking of Matthews street and there abouts. You will have no problem finding neighbors.......
Great time to visit right now.......the weathers great.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:03 PM

Summering,
Thanks again! Is the subdivision called Foxboro? I tried to Google it but couldn't find anything there or in realtor.com.
I will definitely check it out. Thank you!
I'm also interested in Owego. That sounds very nice.
Best, Frieda

Old 07-24-2007, 12:20 PM

140 posts, read 731,915 times
Default Another positive post about Binghamton area

The above posts are so accurate.

Just for clarification purposes...the area is comprised of several towns, villages, and communities, basically all blending into one another.

It's a nice, quiet, safe community with reasonably priced homes, groceries, utilities, and high quality medical care offered in 3 local hospitals. Shopping includes a variety of nationally-recognized retailers. You need to check-out Wegmans grocery store once you are here although you may find it a bit expensive compared to the local chain...Giant Food Markets where most people do their grocery shopping.

Depending upon what school district you are in, the schools range from good to outstanding in academics and athletics.

I'd strongly suggest staying away from the rivers when contemplating buying a home as they have historically been prone to some major, devastating floods in recent years.

As others have pointed out, the downtown area of Binghamton is quite barren and devoid of shoppers with only a Boscov's Department Store in that area. All other retailers, big and small, have left for the suburban shopping malls and plazas. Efforts are under way to revive the downtown business district although only law offices, banking and the insurance industry have offices there. Several old, vacant buildings have been bought and converted to upscale, expensive loft residences and trendy cafes and coffee shops. You won't have much reason to go into the downtown area.

You will find traffic jams to be virtually non-existant with the exception in the summer when road construction season is in full swing, and then, only some minor traffic slow-downs(which our spoiled citizens complain about!).. No more beltways, I-95 back-ups...you can get from one side of the community to the extreme opposite side within minutes.

Winters can be long, gray, cold, with more snow than the Washington, D.C. area, but summers are magnificent as is the fall season.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Summering,
Thanks again! Is the subdivision called Foxboro? I tried to Google it but couldn't find anything there or in realtor.com.
I will definitely check it out. Thank you!
I'm also interested in Owego. That sounds very nice.
Best, Frieda
Sorry Frieda Foxboro Lane is a street.........in Endicott.......up from Elton Drive and Rachael just off of Taft.......try to zillow it or try the googlemaps.
It is different from Pa where we have communities, in towns.
They mostly have the towns, and the areas of town.
I think one of the posters from there has explained it better then I could. LOL
..........good luck to you.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York