Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 02:28 PM

506 posts, read 1,026,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conteacher View Post
Exup, California state emploiyees don't pay into SS.
I didn't know that. I just knew Federal employees didn't pay into it because my dad was a Federal employee and he didn't pay into SS while he worked for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 12:59 PM

341 posts, read 684,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I don't agree with doing it in the private sector either, but generally, a large part of my taxes aren't going to private sector companies. A pension is for retirement. Retired means that you are not working for that employer. I believe it is stealing when a retired person double dips with the same employer.
And, it's fine you don't agree with doing it. However, that's what a pension is: A benefit received after working X number of years, then leaving your post. It's not "stealing". I suggest you look up the definition of "Stealing".

Old 01-02-2013, 06:09 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,721,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheITGuy View Post
And, it's fine you don't agree with doing it. However, that's what a pension is: A benefit received after working X number of years, then leaving your post. It's not "stealing". I suggest you look up the definition of "Stealing".
I would agree with working X number of years and then leaving your employer, not post. The double dippers that people are concerned about are the high paid upper management types who have had several "posts" over the years. The post "retirement" post is just another job in the line of jobs they have already had in the past. But this time they are getting two paychecks.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:20 AM

341 posts, read 684,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I would agree with working X number of years and then leaving your employer, not post. The double dippers that people are concerned about are the high paid upper management types who have had several "posts" over the years. The post "retirement" post is just another job in the line of jobs they have already had in the past. But this time they are getting two paychecks.
Again, while you might not agree with it, it's what a pension is. And, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean we change the definitions of words.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:19 PM

76 posts, read 136,525 times
Another point. I'm not sure about NY but if you are a pensioner in CA, you are only allowed to work 940 hours per year. Any more than that they make you start paying into the pension fund again. In my case, I am retiring to NY with my CA state pension and plan to keep working in the same field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York