Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 02:18 PM

9 posts, read 44,464 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Orangeburg area for a job. Can anyone tell me about the cost of living and where to look for an apartment. Also, is it all apartment complexes or are there houses that have been made into apartments? Is there a good website to check out listings?

I would also be intereseted in information regarding other towns near Orangeburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 07:35 PM

21 posts, read 128,439 times
Default Where to move in Rockland...

We are 20-25 minutes from New York city and few hours from Albany and 15 minutes to Westchester depends on the location. Saying that, we are at the heart of things. That makes everything here very expensive. Rent will run you from 1.5k and up for one/two bedrooms.

Orangeburg is very nice and safe as well. Close by is Pearl River, New hempstead , New City(where lots of professionals live) which is the government site, middle to upper class neighborhood. Jobs are plenty and well paid if you don't mind 15-30 minutes drive to Westchester, Jersey (part of it can be affordable also). Manhattan is very good on Jobs too if you are in the medical field or business.

Depends on what you are looking for and where your income can take you there is Nanuet, Haverstraw if you do not mind diversity, Spring Valley all these a step down of course, but probably a bit moreaffordable.

Go city-data.com check out these towns and see where your pocket can take you. Like I said: rockland is not cheap. If you are buyinga house taxes can be outrageous. Nyack and upper Nyack (Rosie O lives there), West Nyack are about 15 minutes from Orangeburg and decent neighborhood. If you can afford it, you'd like the quiet life that rockland can offer you and yours.
Good luck in your search.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:45 PM

21 posts, read 128,439 times
Default Rockland... Not affordable anymore.

Cost of living in rockland county is one of the highest in the state. Check on Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed for a ballpark. To survive here your income has to be well above 50k not combined. In new City is over 150 as the average is 100 in the country. the average salary is 100k. Some are living under 50k but it can be a challenge. Husband and wife working two jobs. Rockland is beatiful and safe but not affordable, not anymore. A house for 280k 7years ago is selling for 700k now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay_chee View Post
I am considering moving to Orangeburg area for a job. Can anyone tell me about the cost of living and where to look for an apartment. Also, is it all apartment complexes or are there houses that have been made into apartments? Is there a good website to check out listings?

I would also be intereseted in information regarding other towns near Orangeburg.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 06:13 AM..

Old 06-16-2007, 01:01 AM

52 posts, read 567,326 times
The cost of living is pretty high anywhere in Rockland, honestly. There are a few apartments/condo areas but the area is really single houses, from what I see (I'm in New City/Clarkstown). I think that you may want to look in Nanuet (there are a few large condo complexs there, only a short drive to Orangeburg)...Valley Cottage also has a few condos you might be interested in looking at (also a short drive from Orangeburg). Hope that helps.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:15 PM

17 posts, read 60,791 times
"Depends on what you are looking for and where your income can take you there is Nanuet, Haverstraw if you do not mind diversity, Spring Valley all these a step down of course, but probably a bit moreaffordable."-

Ouch!! I live in Haverstraw and though I know it is not the best city in Rockland, it still hurts to read what people have to say about it!

But then again that's why I am packing up and moving to the sunshine state. Florida here I come!!!

Also just to let you know, Nanuet is not a step down, it was recently listed in Money Magazine as a up and coming city. Good schools, growing job opps, and good neighborhoods.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:54 AM

1 posts, read 13,074 times
Default Down Memory Lane

Yikes, Rockland County sounds expensive now. When we moved to West Nyack in 1960 we bought a house for $18,000. It had eight rooms and a hundred feet of glassed-in porch on two levels as well as eleven closets (seven of them walk-in), a greenhouse, a double garage, a basement, a root cellar, two outbuildings, a double lot, a brook, an orchard, a rose garden, space for a huge vegetable garden, a large lawn, and 1000 feet of perennial border. Down the road was a big swamp full of hundreds of turtles that used to sun themselves on floating logs. A neighbor would custom-make a slipcover for a sofa for $12. Milk cost 69 cents a gallon, cereal 29 cents a box.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:45 PM

7 posts, read 33,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOne View Post
Yikes, Rockland County sounds expensive now. When we moved to West Nyack in 1960 we bought a house for $18,000. It had eight rooms and a hundred feet of glassed-in porch on two levels as well as eleven closets (seven of them walk-in), a greenhouse, a double garage, a basement, a root cellar, two outbuildings, a double lot, a brook, an orchard, a rose garden, space for a huge vegetable garden, a large lawn, and 1000 feet of perennial border. Down the road was a big swamp full of hundreds of turtles that used to sun themselves on floating logs. A neighbor would custom-make a slipcover for a sofa for $12. Milk cost 69 cents a gallon, cereal 29 cents a box.
My parents moved from Queens to Congers in 1964. A nice but small bi level across from a lake for $23,000 on 1/4 acre, now valued at over $400k. I remember getting milk from a lonely, cranky old Miller's Milk vending machine on Lake Road on weeknights when everything else was closed, the stuffed alligator in the front window of the Last Chance Saloon, and walking a mile into town to the Congers drugstore for a fountain made chocolate soda and purchase of a kite, glider, or model car to build. Those days are long gone my friend. My in-laws family are Valley Cottage natives since the 1700's. This weekend we took out the family papers, looking at an old deed for property they once owned on Storms Rd. The annual property taxes were $2.48 (two dollars and forty eight cents) in the 1890's for a couple of acres on top of the hill.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:24 PM

6 posts, read 17,457 times
I am new to city data and cannot figure out how to start my own question.. I too am thinking of moving to Rockland. I grew up in Brooklyn NY so I love a walkable town but I have been living in Ft Lauderdale for 7 yrs now so I do enjoy the quality of life. My daughter is a senior and will be off to college in time for the move but I will need a good school district for my 4th grade son who has Aspergers. Loved some homes in Nanuet but so loved the vibe and scenery near Piermont and Grandview just out of our budget.. Hubby is concerned about the drive to NYC he needs his car to go to work.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:29 AM

6 posts, read 17,457 times
I still have no answers to my question i am now flying up this coming thur to drive around..any suggestions especially re elementary schools for a child w mild aspergers?

Old 09-23-2013, 11:37 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
If you're looking for "vibe" in Rockland, it's basically Piermont and Nyack. For "walkable", it's Pearl River and to a certain extent, Suffern.

The rest is typical suburban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York