Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 10:52 AM

94 posts, read 247,719 times

Advertisements

My husband, son and I are looking to move form Los Angeles. Here's what looks good to us but I think too expensive. Nyack and Montclair NJ. But I like how Nyack seems bc it seems liberal and has a creative community it seems.

We want a town that has a good walkable safe downtown and we don't care about schools. Houses under $450K w/ more than a postage stamp for a yard.

WE need it to be less than 1 1/2 hours from NYC

So considering that's what we'd prefer but maybe can't afford, where else would people think would be an alternative.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 10:46 AM

715 posts, read 2,516,320 times
New Paltz is a very neat / artsy / college town in Ulster County, but is about 2-2.25 hours from the city. Beacon and Cold Spring are really nice / funky / charming towns on the Hudson River, 1.3 and 1.25 hours from the city respectively via train (Beacon and Cold Spring have train stations on Metro North Railroad that operate directly into NYC).

Old 10-11-2010, 09:08 AM

94,143 posts, read 124,982,679 times
Saugerties is another community with a good Arts scene in the area as well.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:55 PM

59 posts, read 178,718 times
We are also considering a move from Los Angeles. We were originally considering Warwick or Goshen but are concerned about the commute into the city. In April we are going to be looking into WEstchester County. One thing to consider is how high the taxes are in NY. A lot lower for us out here in L.A. If we decide it doesn't financially make sense we won't make the move. Take a look at Warwick. We thought it was beautiful.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:34 PM

Can't forget Rhinebeck too. Places like the Rivertowns in Westchester County might work(Dobbs Ferry, Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Ardsley, Ossining, etc...)

Old 10-11-2010, 05:57 PM

667 posts, read 1,748,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonno23 View Post
My husband, son and I are looking to move form Los Angeles. Here's what looks good to us but I think too expensive. Nyack and Montclair NJ. But I like how Nyack seems bc it seems liberal and has a creative community it seems.

We want a town that has a good walkable safe downtown and we don't care about schools. Houses under $450K w/ more than a postage stamp for a yard.

WE need it to be less than 1 1/2 hours from NYC

So considering that's what we'd prefer but maybe can't afford, where else would people think would be an alternative.

Thanks!
If schools are not an issue, then Newburgh would be a good choice. And by Newburgh I mean areas around the city close to the water (Grand St, Montgomery, the Heights), where you'll get the gritty end of living in an urban style environment with plenty to see, beautiful homes (and I mean gorgeous brownstones from the 1800s). There are certain areas to avoid but plenty to also get where you'll be just fine. If you want a bit more seclusion, Balmville is surely lovely. All about 60 miles, or a 1:30 hour commute by car (there's also a train you can take in) into NYC,an int; airport, 2 major interstate highways, it would be a good option. However, I have to say, I love Nyack. If you can afford private schools , i think it's one of the coolest "burbs" and darn close to NYC. Between Montclair and Nyack, Nyack is way more authentic with it's art scene. Montclair definitely has some great things going for it but it's a bit too 'forced'. Both towns have disgusting property/school taxes.

Places like Rhinebeck are 'too set up', again beautiful but way too setup for a rich taste, which IMO lacks creativity. And also a bit off the path to NYC. You would be pushing that 2-2.5 hr commute. Beacon is definitely hip but similar to Newburgh, just in a much smaller scale, and as far as housing you'll be very limited.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:07 PM

94 posts, read 247,719 times
Thank you all.

Well back to the drawing board. We did go up to Beacon which was lovely but my husband decided he needed an hour or less to the city. We saw Ossining and Tarrytown. Ossining wasn't so nice and Tarrytown was too busy.

We did look at houses in Nyack. Boy it's hard to get any space around you there it seems. And garages seem to be in short supply. Does everybody really dig themselves out every time it snows? Am I a CA wuss? I grew up back east and we always had garages though.

We can probably go up to 550K if we have to.

Oh and i forgot the one thing my husband needs to move is be on water. Yikes! So many things. Warwick and other towns that are away from the river are out. There are some really lovely houses in Warwick Nbrake. Wow! And land. I've seen people complain on the forum about getting to the city and since my husband will have to be driving down probably half the time bc he'll be getting back late at night, that won't work.

I feel like Goldilocks. This one's too far. And this one's too expensive. We just haven't gotten to the one that's "just right".

Now I wish I had looked at Croton. Everyone said it was expensive but it seems you get more land and mostly bigger houses there than Nyack in the same 400-550K price. I'll have to look in the forums to see what people say about Croton.

Thanks again,

Old 10-24-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonno23 View Post
Thank you all.

Well back to the drawing board. We did go up to Beacon which was lovely but my husband decided he needed an hour or less to the city. We saw Ossining and Tarrytown. Ossining wasn't so nice and Tarrytown was too busy.

We did look at houses in Nyack. Boy it's hard to get any space around you there it seems. And garages seem to be in short supply. Does everybody really dig themselves out every time it snows? Am I a CA wuss? I grew up back east and we always had garages though.

We can probably go up to 550K if we have to.

Oh and i forgot the one thing my husband needs to move is be on water. Yikes! So many things. Warwick and other towns that are away from the river are out. There are some really lovely houses in Warwick Nbrake. Wow! And land. I've seen people complain on the forum about getting to the city and since my husband will have to be driving down probably half the time bc he'll be getting back late at night, that won't work.

I feel like Goldilocks. This one's too far. And this one's too expensive. We just haven't gotten to the one that's "just right".

Now I wish I had looked at Croton. Everyone said it was expensive but it seems you get more land and mostly bigger houses there than Nyack in the same 400-550K price. I'll have to look in the forums to see what people say about Croton.

Thanks again,
What about Dobbs Ferry, Ardsley, Hastings-on Hudson and Irvington? Here's information opn those communities: http://www.irvingtonny.gov/

http://www.dobbsferry.com/

http://www.ardsleyvillage.com/

http://www.hastingsgov.org/Pages/index

http://www.rivertownsguide.com/fnl

http://www.riverarts.org/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-24-2010 at 04:29 PM..

Old 10-25-2010, 01:04 PM

715 posts, read 2,516,320 times
Croton wouldn't be a bad choice. You could also check out Cortland or Peekskill in Westchester County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York