Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 04:38 AM

4 posts, read 28,259 times

Advertisements

I am British Asian (or rather, Oriental as they call us here) and looking to move to Manhattan NYC pretty soon.

Was wondering if u guys have any suggestions for a nice n friendly area/neighbourhood to move into in Manhattan, somewhere easy to orientate into for a foreigner like me? I've a very flexible budget.

Def looking for somewhere that's Asian-friendly but not self-segregated like Chinatown or so.

For those of who've stayed in London, I'm looking for NYC-equivalents of places like Bayswater or Russell Square.
I've lived in High Street Kensington n central Chelsea (basically like Upper East Side in NYC) n found the ppl stuck-up, uncomfortable with or condescending towards Asian-looking ppl.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 07:40 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
By Asian/Oriental you mean East Asian instead of South Asian, correct? I'm basing my answer on the premise that you are East Asian/Chinese. If not, then my answer would probably be a little bit different...

Lost of Asian people live in Manhattan. I really don't think this is going to be an issue. British people on the whole are stuckup, & we don't really tolerate that type of crap around here. It would be considered rude. I dont' think you're really going to experience prejudice as an Asian person in this area. If you are hyper-sensitive though and pick up on every little thing that people said of course you might get upset, but this will happen no matter where you live.

If you are looking for Asian-friendly but not a Chinese/Korean ghetto type place then there are some areas that are good in the outer bourough as well as Manhattan. For example the 3 main Asian neighborhoods in NYC are Chinatown in Manhattan, Flushing in Queens, and Sunset Park in Brooklyn. If I were you I'd look at the areas bordering these neighborhoods. So with Chinatown look towards a place like the LES, or the Village, with Flushing, look at the neighborhood of Bayside, and with Sunset Park, look at other neighborhoods in Southern Brooklyn like Bensonhurst or Bay Ridge.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:30 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,190,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
By Asian/Oriental you mean East Asian instead of South Asian, correct? I'm basing my answer on the premise that you are East Asian/Chinese. If not, then my answer would probably be a little bit different...

Lost of Asian people live in Manhattan. I really don't think this is going to be an issue. British people on the whole are stuckup, & we don't really tolerate that type of crap around here. It would be considered rude. I dont' think you're really going to experience prejudice as an Asian person in this area. If you are hyper-sensitive though and pick up on every little thing that people said of course you might get upset, but this will happen no matter where you live.

If you are looking for Asian-friendly but not a Chinese/Korean ghetto type place then there are some areas that are good in the outer bourough as well as Manhattan. For example the 3 main Asian neighborhoods in NYC are Chinatown in Manhattan, Flushing in Queens, and Sunset Park in Brooklyn. If I were you I'd look at the areas bordering these neighborhoods. So with Chinatown look towards a place like the LES, or the Village, with Flushing, look at the neighborhood of Bayside, and with Sunset Park, look at other neighborhoods in Southern Brooklyn like Bensonhurst or Bay Ridge.
Bayside and Flushing are 2 different towns. Flushing be the more affordable.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:32 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Chinatown.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:47 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,190,762 times
Theres Asians all over Manhattan, doesnt really matter where you go. Its more about if you can afford it.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Bayside and Flushing are 2 different towns. Flushing be the more affordable.
Yes, I thought I had made that clear in my post.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:51 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
I agree with 41willys. Asians are ALL over NYC, including Manhattan. Every neighborhood, every income level.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:46 PM

Yeah they are all over, but you will find clusters of them in certain neighborhoods. The most Asian (East Asian that is) neighborhoods in the city are Chinatown, Flushing, and Sunset Park. Asians are fairly upwardly mobile so you will find them moving into any neighborhoods where rich white people live.

This is mainly due Asian immigrants generally being an anamoly in American immigrant history. They are one of the few groups who immigrates to the USA even though they are usually already middle-class or upper-middle class back in their home countries.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:16 AM

4 posts, read 28,259 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for your responses everyone, especially mead.

Mead, when you say "the Village", u mean the entirety of East n West/Greenwich Villages, right? Juz to clarify, thanks.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:18 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Like most have said, an Asian immigrant (even Asian-Brit) will likely feel comfortable anywhere in Manhattan below certain parts of Harlem. I think Mead's suggestion of the Village area is spot-on. East and West Villages each have their own charm, but I would suggest the East side. From what I've seen browsing apartment listings the East Village is still a bit more affordable than the West Village. Although you're not looking to live in an Asian immigrant district such as Chinatown or Koreatown, those two areas are in a bit easier striking distance from the East Village for those occasional shopping and dining trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: