Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 05:23 PM

12 posts, read 37,223 times

Advertisements

Alright so i have this dream of moving to manhattan, but i know it will be hard to manage getting an apartment there for a reasonable price while earning like 70k to 100k. So i was wondering could i potentially live in northern brooklyn or maybe southern bronx and just commute daily there to...well enjoy it there.

What is brooklyn like compared to manhattan, living wise.
what is bronx compared to manhattan, living wise.

I DO konw for a fact manhattan is alot more fun and more stuff to do, but apart from that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 05:38 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,338,050 times
you are really comparing apples and oranges my friend, each part of the city has its own unique flavors...you should look at the sticky at the top of this forum.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-01-2010, 06:03 PM

12 posts, read 37,223 times
alright then.

well, do you have any websites that could give me alot more information? or do you suggest just reading every wiki possible

Old 03-01-2010, 11:35 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,699,075 times
What about Queens?

Old 03-02-2010, 12:29 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,146,159 times
A combination of craigslist, wikipedia and google maps street view should at least help you with preliminary research, which is what you are doing. Sometimes the rooms for rent section of craigslist tends to have more info about neighborhoods and have more photos of the insides/outsides of the apartments. Don't forget to save up several thousand in advance of your move. Do not expect to arrive here and have a job the next day.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:08 AM

917 posts, read 2,949,736 times
Here's the deal, there are vibrant, young, urban neighborhoods in every borough (except maybe SI- I have family there and I've always found it very suburban).

A lot of it comes down to your commute, which depends on your job. If you are working waaaaaay downtown, you'll want to be living in Brooklyn. If you're working in Midtown, you'd want to check out Queens/the Bronx. What if, god forbid, the only job you can get is in one of the outer boroughs? Most people assume they'll work in Manhattan but that's no guarantee. Unless you have a lot of savings and don't mind risking a horrible commute, you always get the job and THEN find the place to live. You'll also be able to determine a budget- a lot of jobs are paying a lot less than they used to. When my BF's boss had his position 5 years ago, she was making 6 figures. While he still makes good money, it's not 6 figures.

I'd check out Astoria if you want to be on the safe side- it's a very trendy neighborhood with lots to do, very easy access to Manhattan, and it tends to be more affordable than other places. You can still get a good 1 bed for $1500.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:58 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,301,162 times
Brooklyn is a major city in all but name. It has 2.5 million residents, far more than Manhattan (Chicago as 2.8 million, by the way). If it were not already part of the city, it would be one of the few places in the country that could be compared to New York.

It has everything a major city has: it's own central business district , opera house, major art museums, spectacular parks, recreation areas, excellent restaurants, hip bar scene, etc. It has very posh and very down-market areas.

The nice parts of Brooklyn are very, very nice. Arguably nicer than the nice parts of the boroughs (apart from Manhattan).

As long as you're not in a sketchy neighborhood, it's really a question of commute time.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:46 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,090,579 times
I wouldn't say that its a "fact" that Manhattan is the most fun. It depends what you like, what you're into, and of course where you work. Taking into account cost of living and myself, I'd go with Brooklyn, but every person is different.

Maybe try finding a sublet for a few months and checking the areas out.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:18 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,621,835 times
Real Brooklynites, by which I mean native-born people (like myself, as a matter of fact) can tell you that we never waste our time trying to compare the two boroughs. That's behavior you might find among Manhattanites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: