Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 7,341 times

Advertisements

The situation:
-------------
I have been in my current rent-stabilized apartment for almost 2 years since I moved to New York from Maryland.

My lease is expiring at the end of Feb.

There is a possibility that my job will be relocated back to Maryland in August -- but it remains just a possibility until sometime in July.

I informed the situation to my landlord and inquired about whether I could renew the lease for 6 months.

He told me that legally he could only do 1 or 2-year terms. He told me that he would "work with me... such that if I sign on a 1-year lease starting March and have to move by the August, I would lose the 1-month security deposit."

The questions:
--------------
1. Is it true that for rent-stabilized apartment, the lease term can only be one or two-year?
2. Are there some way I could get a 6-month lease, within my rights?
3. Are there other ways I can avoid forfeiting the deposit if indeed I have to sign a 1-year lease? Given that I have informed him well ahead of time (even before the lease renewal is signed?)

Thank you all so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 11:49 PM

341 posts, read 902,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent.motor View Post
The situation:
-------------
I have been in my current rent-stabilized apartment for almost 2 years since I moved to New York from Maryland.

There is a possibility that my job will be relocated back to Maryland in August -- but it remains just a possibility until sometime in July.

I informed the situation to my landlord and inquired about whether I could renew the lease for 6 months.

He told me that legally he could only do 1 or 2-year terms. He told me that he would "work with me... such that if I sign on a 1-year lease starting March and have to move by the August, I would lose the 1-month security deposit."

The questions:
--------------
1. Is it true that for rent-stabilized apartment, the lease term can only be one or two-year?
3. Are there other ways I can avoid forfeiting the deposit if indeed I have to sign a 1-year lease? Given that I have informed him well ahead of time (even before the lease renewal is signed?)

Thank you all so much.

I don't see how he's 'working with you' if he penalizes you a month's rent. Now if he didn't penalize you, then ok.

How about a month to month lease? That would be better wouldn't it? That is basically a 30 day notice to quit the place. Problem is; he could give you a 30 notice also! Where is the apartment?

Old 01-21-2010, 05:21 AM

650 posts, read 2,518,539 times
I think with R.S., he is correct 1 or 2 years leases only.
However he could add a rider with a "30 day out" clause

Old 01-25-2011, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 8,927 times
Default Please let me know if you figured out a Solution for the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent.motor View Post
The situation:
-------------

The questions:
--------------

Thank you all so much.

Please let me know if you figured out a Solution for the issue. I am going through the same dilemma. Haven't even spoken with the landlord yet but don't think he would agree to even let me stay beyond the expired lease. This is a big Management firm and they may not even agree to let me stay by forfeiting the deposit.

I like the apartment and like to keep it until August, 2011. Lease is expiring in April I think.

Should I atleast try negotiating with the landlord or better Off just ignoring the Lease sent to me in Mail.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:09 AM

106,750 posts, read 108,937,910 times
by law rent stabilized apartments have to be given only 1 or 2 year leases but heck if the landlord agrees in writing to not penalize you for leaving after 6 months thats his choice . to tell you the truth we were thinking of trying to do just that ourselves when we were thinking of retiring and moving. instead of thinking of it as a negative and thinking in terms of the landlord letting you stay past your lease, think of it as a positive for the landlord. you will sign a 1 year lease but allow him to break it early and get a tenant at a higher rate if he wont penalize you.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:28 AM

43,695 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saggara View Post
Please let me know if you figured out a Solution for the issue. I am going through the same dilemma. Haven't even spoken with the landlord yet but don't think he would agree to even let me stay beyond the expired lease. This is a big Management firm and they may not even agree to let me stay by forfeiting the deposit.

I like the apartment and like to keep it until August, 2011. Lease is expiring in April I think.

Should I atleast try negotiating with the landlord or better Off just ignoring the Lease sent to me in Mail.
You could just sign the lease. About a month before the lease is up, you can notify your landlord. A friend of mine just didn't pay the last month rent in order to use of the security deposit (so she wouldn't lose the money).

Old 01-28-2011, 01:18 PM

43,695 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Here is an article about what to do if you need to break a lease early:
How to break a lease | BrickUnderground
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: