Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 07:24 PM

141 posts, read 196,138 times

Advertisements

With the extraordinary amounts of wealth crawling throughout the city, people moving in with $175,000 who think they'll be living the good life are usually humbled in a New York minute once they observe their surroundings.

But the good news is you will be fine with $175,000. More than fine, really. You can afford to live well on that salary.

$300,000 with two kids is pretty decent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 06:03 PM

217 posts, read 921,428 times
You're bringing down really good money. You can really enjoy the city if you "live beneath your means." why bother with the Upper West Side when you can get better food/times in the East Village. If you two scrimp for five years, and save every penny, you'll be amazed what you can buy...

Old 12-27-2009, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,371 times
If you just have to stay in Manhattan, keep in mind that Inwood, Washington Heights, and Harlem offer reasonably priced possibilities, for sale AND rent.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:53 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk6 View Post
If you just have to stay in Manhattan, keep in mind that Inwood, Washington Heights, and Harlem offer reasonably priced possibilities, for sale AND rent.
I would point two young professional relocatees towards Brooklyn or Hoboken long before recommending Upper Manhattan. With the exception of a few pockets and streets, the areas you suggested are NOT safe for someone who is learning the city, will be leading a somewhat "flashy" lifestyle for those neighborhoods, and who has an eye toward family & good schools in the near future.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:21 AM

988 posts, read 3,254,266 times
You can live a pretty comfortable life, but you'll still need to budget. Simple solution, live in Manhattan while you have no kids and when you do have kids, you can move to either a closer-in Brooklyn or Queens neighborhood to purchase(or rent) a larger place for the kids. When the children become school-aged, then move again to Westchester, Long Island, or NJ close to a commuter rail. You should be fine ESPECIALLY if you will eventually make $250K. I know moving sucks but that's what a lot of people tend to do here.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:16 PM
TT1

148 posts, read 439,779 times
With $300K, AND two kids you can live wherever you want. Manhattan, London, Palm Beach, Greenwich, Beverly Hills, Paris, Zurich even MONACO

I know people in Manhattan with kids who live comfortably off of $250K+, you will live but not glamorously. You don't have to move to the suburbs when you have kids with that salary. You can rent, save, for 5-10 years and by the time you have two kids, you can afford to purchase in Manhattan even at the $1.3M(?) + median with 300K salary.

Not all public schools are bad either. I know a wealthy friend in the West Village who's kids go to a great public school in the area.

Last edited by TT1; 12-28-2009 at 12:39 PM..

Old 12-28-2009, 01:55 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
With $300K, AND two kids you can live wherever you want. Manhattan, London, Palm Beach, Greenwich, Beverly Hills, Paris, Zurich even MONACO

Not all public schools are bad either. I know a wealthy friend in the West Village who's kids go to a great public school in the area.
Not true- average home price in Greenwich and Beverly Hills ( December 2009) was about $1.5M. With a 20% down payment- and assuming you'd qualify for the strict jumbo loans today- monthly PITI is $9,500. You need a minimum of $375,000 annual income to afford that.

It takes an incredible amount of income to live comfortably (ie, afford to take a family vacation or two each year, pay for junior's math tutor and and club ice hockey team and daughter's dance and tennis lessons, have a social life, etc) in the wealthiest enclaves in the US & world.

Yes, you can afford to rent an apartment in Beverly Hills (or the Upper East Side) and pack in your kids and dog into a 2BR, but it's not the comfortable (and I don't mean taking your private jet to Switzerland to ski for the weekend....I just mean paying all the bills, saving/ investing, and providing opportunities for your kids kind of comfortable).

Old 12-28-2009, 10:19 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,118,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Well, let's break it down. You'd have $8,700 net each month after a 6% 401(k) contribution.

Your salary qualifies you to rent an apartment for just over $4,000/mo, but you'd have a lot more wiggle room if you can find a 1br closer to $3,000/mo. This should be no problem if you look along the Upper East Side along Lex and 3rd Aves where there are a lot of post war high-rises.

For dinner out 2x/ week, figure $200. This is your neighborhood Italian or New American place, not Per Se or a steak dinner.
And you can have the same at countless ethnic restaurants (Ethiopian, Malaysian, Vietnamese, Indian, etc.) for $80 or less.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:00 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tha Five View Post
if it's not enough for you, can give it to me.
i'm sure i'll manage
lol, i can make that work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: