Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 01:27 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
As a black hispanic in the Bronx I feel being a white woman is not something you have to worry about. Would you rather be a black hispanic in a white neighborhood ?
Well you are not a white woman so you really can't relate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 03:34 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Well you are not a white woman so you really can't relate.
So please educate me, what is it a white woman fears more so then any other woman ? Not to be disrespectful but you realize throughout the history of our country nothing has been more harmful to men of color then the image that blacks seek to ravage or in other ways harm the delicate white woman. My perceprion is, yes violence is present in ever part of the city. I have a ddaughter, who by the way looks white, very well you might see her and conclude she is English or French, she is that light, and she lives in the Bronx with me. What is the fear exactly that a white woman feels that any woman should fear less ? What is it that is being articulated without words ? I am asking with respect and with a desire to understand.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:43 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,187 times
I think if this conversation is done with tact and respect we can all address many fears, angers, false perceptions that all people living in the city have about one another.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:56 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,882,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Bouchard View Post
Me and my wife and kids moved to Anderson Ave more than a year ago. We are pretty satisfied with the area with no negative incidents and mostly positive reception from neighbors. I would definitely recommend this area to any newcomers. I feel that this is where the next big real estate boom will take place.
i call bullsh**. highbridge still looks like the bx in it's crack days. from the river, all the way to the concourse. there has been a smidge of new development in highbridge, but not much. a few buildings here and there, and renovated retail

Old 02-22-2016, 06:59 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
I wonder if the OP bought, and if so, how she feels about it now that's more than five years later. It'd be interesting to hear what everyone who chimed in five years ago think about the place now.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:41 PM

7 posts, read 4,974 times
Highbridge does not need to be hyped. As an urban neighborhood it was built up as soon as easy transportation from Manhatten was assured.The first easy access came with the Ogden Ave trolley which went from 155th Street in Manhatten to the Bronx, up the length of Ogden Ave and back to 181st Street and Broadway.
Next, the Ninth Ave. Elevated, in 1918, ran an extension from its terminus at the Polo Grounds accross the Harlem River, under 162nd Street to Jerome Ave and then elevated again until it merged with the IRT Woodland/Jerome line. Highbridge had two subway stations from then until 1958.
It no longer has its own subway but it does have those lovely large apartments built "prewar", more access to parks and shopping then most neighborhoods,tennis courts, Highbridge pool, a brand new running track, ball fields and more.Also, your kids can look forward to selling hot dogs and sodas at the Yankee Stadium. All this one stop from Manhatten.No hype.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:43 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Croghan View Post
Highbridge does not need to be hyped. As an urban neighborhood it was built up as soon as easy transportation from Manhatten was assured.The first easy access came with the Ogden Ave trolley which went from 155th Street in Manhatten to the Bronx, up the length of Ogden Ave and back to 181st Street and Broadway.
Next, the Ninth Ave. Elevated, in 1918, ran an extension from its terminus at the Polo Grounds accross the Harlem River, under 162nd Street to Jerome Ave and then elevated again until it merged with the IRT Woodland/Jerome line. Highbridge had two subway stations from then until 1958.
It no longer has its own subway but it does have those lovely large apartments built "prewar", more access to parks and shopping then most neighborhoods,tennis courts, Highbridge pool, a brand new running track, ball fields and more.Also, your kids can look forward to selling hot dogs and sodas at the Yankee Stadium. All this one stop from Manhatten.No hype.
isn't Yankee Stadium considered Highbridge?

Old 02-22-2016, 10:00 PM

7 posts, read 4,974 times
The Yankee Stadium is right next to Highbridge but the neighborhood is more commonly accepted as the hills west of Jerome Avenue. On the other hand generations of Highbridge teenagers made a summer job out of serving the fans at the stadium so it is almost a part of Highbridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City