Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:28 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,432,377 times

Advertisements

I agree that the mornings can be easy, but it's the return traffic that is the problem. The FDR is not always a bad route, especially in the morning, but in the afternoon it can be an absolute parking lot from the RFK/Triborough to the 60s. And, some days, it might be easier to follow the Hutch to the Whitestone, cross into Queens, and then make your way to Brooklyn, which is a longer distance, but might actually be a shorter drive time on a bad day.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 10:01 AM

10 posts, read 33,098 times
I live in Bay Ridge and commute to Stamford, CT everyday. Crazy, I know, but I actually don't mind it one bit. I like the drive going against traffic (typically) and enjoy the the time alone in the car to catch up on the news/music. It typically takes me 1hr to 1:15 in the morning. At night, it really depends on what time I leave the office. If I leave closer to 7PM, its barely an hour. 5:30-6PM range, an hour and a half. As others have said, it really depends on the weather/accidents and whatever else life throws your way. I take all sorts of crazy routes to get there, depending on the traffic situation. Here are examples of my route to work, if you do end up moving to Brooklyn.

1. Gowanus/BQE to the BK Bridge over to the FDR going North. Take it up to the Willis Ave Bridge into the Bronx. Thru the Bronx, onto the Bruckner. Bruckner onto to the Hutch. Hutch onto I-95 right as your cross from Bronx into Westchester. 95 North up to I-287. I-287 to the Hutch. Hutch to the Merrit. This is my top choice when wanting to avoid the tolls and getting there quick.

2. Gowanus/BQE/I-278 all the way through the Bronx to the Hutch. Hutch onto I-95 right as your cross from Bronx into Westchester. 95 North up to I-287. I-287 to the Hutch. Hutch to the Merrit.

3. Gowanus to the Battery Tunnel to the FDR going North. Take it up to the Willis Ave Bridge into the Bronx. Thru the Bronx, onto the Bruckner. Bruckner onto to the Hutch. Hutch onto I-95 right as your cross from Bronx into Westchester. 95 North up to I-287. I-287 to the Hutch. Hutch to the Merrit.

4. Belt Pkwy to the Penn Ave Exit. Thru East New York to the Jackie Robinson Pkwy. JR Pkwy to the Van Wyck going North. Van Wyck over the Whitestone to the Hutch. Hutch onto I-95 right as your cross from Bronx into Westchester. 95 North up to I-287. I-287 to the Hutch. Hutch to the Merrit.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions or whatever. Good luck with whatever you end up doing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City