Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 07:54 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,691 times

Advertisements

I am living in Austin now and thinking of moving back to NYC, but not Manhattan. I love the area around Prospect Park, but cannot afford a large condo/house in that area. I've had my eye on Bed-Stuy for some time and hear that the area is improving in terms of crime, and many small restaurants and other businesses have moved nearby. I've also noticed many multi-family buildings in the area that I believe could be converted into a single family residence. Any thoughts on this area? We have two large dogs and need the space and are starting a family (we will try not to be "those people" but there is only so much I can do here).

What are your thoughts on the area? I miss NYC...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 09:04 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,928,621 times
I personally would consider Crown Heights over Bed Stuy. I believe that Crown Heights is much more diverse, with a lot more to offer as far as getting better. This just my personal preference over Bed Stuy.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:18 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,106 times
First, how affordable do you think a home in Bed-Stuy would cost.

Second, where do you think your kids will go to school?

Third, what will you do, when crime comes back? Who will you sell your house to when crime does come back?

I suggest you think on the near suburbs of NYC. Bringing a non-NY family to Bed-Stuy would be like slapping someone upside the head with a 2x4!

Old 08-28-2009, 06:53 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,691 times
I was looking around $500k plus. I wonder if crime is going to come back to that area, or to areas where those individuals have moved. Is there a private school near by? I also toy with the idea of sending them to public but I'm saying this without any knowledge of the current status of those schools. I want to say that they've improved but feel free to call me out on this.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:45 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
I was looking around $500k plus. I wonder if crime is going to come back to that area, or to areas where those individuals have moved. Is there a private school near by? I also toy with the idea of sending them to public but I'm saying this without any knowledge of the current status of those schools. I want to say that they've improved but feel free to call me out on this.
The schools do not improve nearly as quickly as crime and property values do.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:18 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,106 times
$500k was about the top of the market, before the economic turmoil So you're in the right ballpark.

Well, "crime", never really left. It's just that when a person can go out and get a relatively fair job, where you're not getting shot at, nor thrown in jail---then you take it; but, when you can't get that job, or, that job isn't there to get, then...."crime" is back.

We've just been through the greatest boom in the last 50 years, maybe the last century. Now, the boom has peaked, its down from here. So, will crime be back?

IMVUHO, "those individuals" have lost their minds! Or, they are so completely naive and clueless, they deserve an education. JMO.

Yes, there are private schools, outside the neighborhood for you. Expensive, so you'll need to account for that.

To send your children to public school in Bed-Stuy would be like sending them naked without a gun to the Eastern Front, maybe Vietnam. The only reason they wouldn't get killed, is because nobody would believe what they're seeing. Which, btw, is my opinion of what, generally, is occurring in Bed-Stuy. People are too stunned to react. Gall can sometimes immobilize.

JMO, but I thing you need to do a lotttttttttttttttt more research.

Now, you'll probably get a lot of comments in this thread, about how cool it is, and how someone lives there and has no problem, or you just gotta be, blah, blah, blah.

All I gotta say is, I bet all that is what the water buffalo said as he passed through lion country. Nuff said.

Oh, one last thing, you might not get this, but native NYers will. Oh, aren't you a native? Anyway:

BLACKOUT!

Old 08-31-2009, 08:46 PM

8 posts, read 19,185 times
Why Bed Stuy and what about Williamsburg?
Yet I preferred Bed Stuy Over Crown Heights. To me crown Heights have way to much drama.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:50 PM

8 posts, read 19,185 times
Smile Bed stuy just great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
$500k was about the top of the market, before the economic turmoil So you're in the right ballpark.

Well, "crime", never really left. It's just that when a person can go out and get a relatively fair job, where you're not getting shot at, nor thrown in jail---then you take it; but, when you can't get that job, or, that job isn't there to get, then...."crime" is back.

We've just been through the greatest boom in the last 50 years, maybe the last century. Now, the boom has peaked, its down from here. So, will crime be back?

IMVUHO, "those individuals" have lost their minds! Or, they are so completely naive and clueless, they deserve an education. JMO.

Yes, there are private schools, outside the neighborhood for you. Expensive, so you'll need to account for that.

To send your children to public school in Bed-Stuy would be like sending them naked without a gun to the Eastern Front, maybe Vietnam. The only reason they wouldn't get killed, is because nobody would believe what they're seeing. Which, btw, is my opinion of what, generally, is occurring in Bed-Stuy. People are too stunned to react. Gall can sometimes immobilize.

JMO, but I thing you need to do a lotttttttttttttttt more research.

Now, you'll probably get a lot of comments in this thread, about how cool it is, and how someone lives there and has no problem, or you just gotta be, blah, blah, blah.

All I gotta say is, I bet all that is what the water buffalo said as he passed through lion country. Nuff said.

Oh, one last thing, you might not get this, but native NYers will. Oh, aren't you a native? Anyway:

BLACKOUT!
Yet since you'll have Big Spending money schooling for the children to come wouldn't be no sweat. why not live in do or die Bed Stuy!

Really the neighborhood is great . The YMCA ON Bedford and Monroe is great and you know what we all are getting along Just great. Thanks GOD!!!

Old 09-21-2009, 04:13 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,359 times
Bed Stuy, much like its neighbors Bushwick, East NY and Bronswille are probably best suited for people who grew up there. Yes they are safer than they were in the 80's and mid 90's, but safer doesnt mean safe.

If you're looking to find a home, you just will not find the space in a place like Bed Stuy that you had living in another state. It will most likely be a expensive brownstone without a garage or driveway, complete with mice and hooligans hanging around. If you think Bed Stuy is great nowadays go stand on Fulton and Thomkins ave at about 11-12pm and tell me how friendly it looks.

Also if you are bringing children, schools should be a consideration. Local Brooklyn kids will eat up someone who clearly is not from that area.

My advice to anyone b4 moving, take a realistic look at the whole picture and dont just move somewhere because you heard its getting better. Wait until its actually better.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:37 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,073 times
If you have 500k to spend, I would look more in the Clinton Hill area then Bed-Stuy, or also Crown Heights north close to Prospect Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City