Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 15,474 times

Advertisements

I'm a little confused as to where Clinton Hill is in comparison to Bed-Stuy. It seems to be in about the same place when I look it up on a map? The reason being is that I am considering Pratt, and I fell in love with the area around Pratt, which I thought was Clinton Hill. Can anyone help me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 10:13 AM

39 posts, read 236,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Bed Stuy, much like its neighbors Bushwick, East NY and Bronswille are probably best suited for people who grew up there. Yes they are safer than they were in the 80's and mid 90's, but safer doesnt mean safe.

Also if you are bringing children, schools should be a consideration. Local Brooklyn kids will eat up someone who clearly is not from that area.

My advice to anyone b4 moving, take a realistic look at the whole picture and dont just move somewhere because you heard its getting better. Wait until its actually better
I agree with this. I love BedStuy and stayed there for a bit, but I grew up around the area and I'm from the hood. I personally wouldn't want my children, esp. if from out of state, to go to a local school. Nope.

If you aren't a local, I think BedStuy is best for college students/20-30something singles, not for starting a family.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:31 PM

12 posts, read 73,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVintageDesign View Post
I'm a little confused as to where Clinton Hill is in comparison to Bed-Stuy. It seems to be in about the same place when I look it up on a map? The reason being is that I am considering Pratt, and I fell in love with the area around Pratt, which I thought was Clinton Hill. Can anyone help me?
Bed-Stuy is bordered by Flushing Avenue to the north (bordering Williamsburg); Classon Avenue to the west (bordering Clinton Hill); Broadway and Van Sinderen Avenue to the east (bordering Bushwick and East New York); Park Place and Ralph Avenue to the south and west (bordering Crown Heights) and as far as East New York Avenue (bordering Brownsville)

Clinton Hill (unofficial) is bordered by Myrtle Avenue to the north; Vanderbilt Avenue to the west; Classon Avenue to the east; Gates Avenue to the south

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacjamila View Post
I agree with this. I love BedStuy and stayed there for a bit, but I grew up around the area and I'm from the hood. I personally wouldn't want my children, esp. if from out of state, to go to a local school. Nope.

If you aren't a local, I think BedStuy is best for college students/20-30something singles, not for starting a family.
I disagree. There are many people w/ families that I know in Bed-Stuy. They live decent lives. You just have to do your research + have some decent $$

Old 04-20-2010, 04:54 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,244,975 times
I'd stay west of Nostrand and south of Lafayette if Bed-Stuy is all that you can afford. I'm guessing you're going to buy a whole brownstone, which is why the other neighborhoods nearby are out of reach (Crown Heights and Clinton Hill)?

You may want to consider retrofitting a 2-car garage into the brownstone as well, depending on the type of cars you're buying/ bringing. Junkers are fine, but if the cars are at all nice, you won't want to park on the street.

You'd have to do private school for almost any neighborhood in NYC, with a very few exceptions. Unless your kids are street-smart and fairly tough, you need to budget for 12 years of private schooling.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:57 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,991,495 times
Why do people keep reviving these old threads? Wanting to help people is good, but none of these people come back after they get their original answer, and I'm sure the problem has been solved by now.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:50 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,294,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Why do people keep reviving these old threads? Wanting to help people is good, but none of these people come back after they get their original answer, and I'm sure the problem has been solved by now.
True. I think people just don't pay attention to the dates of the first posts. I think there should be a rule that if a thread doesn't receive any replies in 6 months it should be automatically locked or deleted. Nothing wrong with more server space
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City