Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,428 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to NYC. We are going to be working and going to school in Manhattan, but we cannot afford to live there. We like Williamsburg because of the close proximity to Manhattan, have found a few good/affordable places to live, but we aren't hipster. Does anyone know if we'll still enjoy it there? We like pubs, hole-in-the-wall restaraunts, art galleries, but we're just not quite as rebellious or snobby (no offense to any hipsters) as the hipster crowd.

Background: We're from Colorado Springs and Phoenix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 10:22 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,098,602 times
Williamsburg is actually more expensive than a lot of Manhattan neighborhoods, except in the fringe areas that are really Bushwick so I wouldn't live there based on affordability.It's a little on the grimy side too so think about that.
If you are looking to live on the North Side near Bedford Avenue, which is really the heart of Williamsburg, you are going to pay as much as Greenwich Village or the UWS which are much much nicer,IMO.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:38 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,261,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Wells-06 View Post
My wife and I are moving to NYC. We are going to be working and going to school in Manhattan, but we cannot afford to live there. We like Williamsburg because of the close proximity to Manhattan, have found a few good/affordable places to live, but we aren't hipster. Does anyone know if we'll still enjoy it there? We like pubs, hole-in-the-wall restaraunts, art galleries, but we're just not quite as rebellious or snobby (no offense to any hipsters) as the hipster crowd.

Background: We're from Colorado Springs and Phoenix
I would look into Astoria. Astoria is close to Manhattan, and is probably more affordable than Billy-burg. Between Manhattan, J Heights, and Astoria, restaurants will never be an issue. It also has more stable demographics. The future of Billy-burg is kind of up in the air at the moment.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 07-29-2009 at 10:53 AM..

Old 07-29-2009, 11:26 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,155,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I would look into Astoria. Astoria is close to Manhattan, and is probably more affordable than Billy-burg. Between Manhattan, J Heights, and Astoria, restaurants will never be an issue. It also has more stable demographics. The future of Billy-burg is kind of up in the air at the moment.
Agree with the Astoria suggestion. Cheaper and not so hipster without compromising the dining and market options - both nice and hole in the wall. Also very convenient to Manhattan.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:29 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,634,823 times
I, for one, would never allow the presence of hipsters to prevent me from moving anywhere. If you've decided that you like Williamsburg, then by all means go for it! (And there are plenty of people in the neighborhood who aren't hipsters, besides).

Old 07-29-2009, 02:44 PM

37,238 posts, read 39,529,579 times
Astoria is a good idea.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:47 PM

346 posts, read 1,257,770 times
Williamsburg is in the midst of financial collapse and everyone's afraid of the squatters that are showing up. Go to Astoria, Williamsburg, LIC, and probably FiDi are done.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:08 PM

1,999 posts, read 5,000,383 times
Default Williamsburg Checklist

Check all that apply

1. Smoke Pot _

2. Trustfund _

3. Liberial Arts Degree_

4. Mom and dad pay rent _

5. uncomfortable tight jeans sagging down backside _

6. you are all your male acquaintances sound like a females _

7. great music collection _

8.describe yourself as very liberal _

9. chuck taylor sneakers _

10. organic food out the wazoo _

0-2 items - not a hipster you are not welcome in Williamsurg

3-5 items - enough hipster taste to live in Williamsburg

6-10 items - you are the epitome of the Williamsburg Hipster herd

Old 07-29-2009, 03:25 PM

43,742 posts, read 44,505,107 times
I too agree with the Astoria suggestion.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:38 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,333,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I, for one, would never allow the presence of hipsters to prevent me from moving anywhere. If you've decided that you like Williamsburg, then by all means go for it! (And there are plenty of people in the neighborhood who aren't hipsters, besides).
I agree that hipsters shouldn't scare anyone off. They didn't actually say that they have ever even been to Williamsburg, so how can they know if they like it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City