Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:28 AM

8 posts, read 23,092 times

Advertisements

The amount of people looking for relocation advice probably gets annoying for New Yorkers... but I am another person needing to move to NYC. My husband just got a job in Hunts Point-Bronx. We have two children one 2 months and one 4yrs. We currently live in Baltimore City and are both in education. Our family is multi-racial and we want to find a neighborhood that is diverse enough for our kids to grow up comfortably. Good schools- lots of arts (dance, theater, visual arts). 30-40 minute commute ideal for him. I would like a place that I can find a good kindergarten to send my daughter to and safe caring daycare for my son both close enough to each other for easy morning drop offs. Thats probably asking a lot. Can pay 2,000-2,500 for a two bedroom rental but want to eventually buy a three bedroom.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 10:45 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,970,855 times
Take a look at the sticky at the top of the board, 'Need info on moving to NYC.' There's a lot of information there.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:21 AM

34,169 posts, read 47,414,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxbound View Post
The amount of people looking for relocation advice probably gets annoying for New Yorkers... but I am another person needing to move to NYC. My husband just got a job in Hunts Point-Bronx. We have two children one 2 months and one 4yrs. We currently live in Baltimore City and are both in education. Our family is multi-racial and we want to find a neighborhood that is diverse enough for our kids to grow up comfortably. Good schools- lots of arts (dance, theater, visual arts). 30-40 minute commute ideal for him. I would like a place that I can find a good kindergarten to send my daughter to and safe caring daycare for my son both close enough to each other for easy morning drop offs. Thats probably asking a lot. Can pay 2,000-2,500 for a two bedroom rental but want to eventually buy a three bedroom.

Thanks for your help in advance!
try co-op city.....but those are co-ops, not rentals. i'm not sure how long the waiting list is.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-21-2009, 01:42 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,396,133 times
If you are looking for good schools Hunts Point is not the place. With a budget of $2,000, you can live in diverse areas like Pelham Parkway, Morris Park, Parkchester, Throgs Neck, Bedford Park, and they are all right on the train line for Hunts Point (except Bedford Park), and they all have access to good schools.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:53 PM

11,323 posts, read 18,941,012 times
I know this is technically "out of the City", but I am going to suggest Mt. Vernon.

It borders the Bronx, and once you get to the "nice parts" north of the New Haven Line tracks, especially Fleetwood and Oakwood Heights, you will find a lot of "multi-racial" families. Housing is inexpensive compared to most of Westchester, with options of coops and a couple of condos if a full house is unaffordable. A lot of people in the education field live here as well. Very easy driving commute to Hunts Point.

And despite what people in the Westchester forums will tell you (usually from "millionaire" towns where they look down on even their neighboring school districts), the elementary schools in the parts of town I'm thinking about are quite good. Good luck!

Old 04-21-2009, 04:50 PM

9,249 posts, read 24,108,710 times
I would recommend my area in The Bronx (Pelham Parkway/Morris Park/Bronxdale) to anyone looking for a very diverse and affordable neighborhood with good elementary schools.It is in district 11 which has highly regarded elementary schools,especially PS 96 (Richard Rogers School).I teach middle school in another area of The Bronx so I know a little about schools and this one is a gem.

The neighborhood is served by the 2 and 5 subway lines which would be about 10 to 15 minutes to Hunt's Point or about the same by car.

Don't be afraid of The Bronx because of it's past reputation.There are some good,very diverse neighborhoods where you can easily find a 2 or 3 br place for under $2,000 which will help you save to buy if that is your plan.

The area is approximately 35% Hispanic (of many different origins),30% white,25% black(American,Caribbean and African)and 10% asian.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:15 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,396,133 times
I agree with that Bluedog!

Old 04-22-2009, 02:16 PM

894 posts, read 2,385,333 times
i live around the soundview bruckner are close to hunts point and i have been in hunts point on many occasions dont be scared to move there...

Old 04-22-2009, 11:58 PM

185 posts, read 752,767 times
Try to stay near the 6 train. And on your budget you would easily be able to stay "northbound", The schools right at Hunts Point are tougher. Just take the 6 train uptown from Hunts Point and find a neighborhood up there that seems nie. The train is above ground so you can see everything from up there

Old 04-26-2009, 08:23 PM

8 posts, read 23,092 times
Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond to my post. I really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City