Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2008, 12:45 AM

42 posts, read 89,080 times

Advertisements

I would like to know of some good websites to go to to look for apartments for rent. And what are the best newspapers for this? As far as websites, I know there is Craigslist but I hear that Craigslist can be a little fishy in terms of what you find and that a lot of the listings are not truthful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 01:34 AM

824 posts, read 2,790,980 times
If you're looking to rent directly from a management comapny, bypassing a broker, I have found this site useful: How To Rent In NYC .com- Rental advice and no-fee rental deals for renters in NYC - HOME click on "Management Companies & Landlords." Some on the list have a link to their website and you can do an apartment search. Since they are not brokers, they list actual apartments they have available and the actual prices. Apartments in New York from Urban Sherpa does the same thing without having to go to each individual managment company website. However, it probably won't be as complete and up-to-the-minute as a managment company's own website.

If you want to go through a broker, I guess Craigslist is as good a place to start as any, and Craigslist has for rent by owner listings as well. Using a broker in this economic downturn may not be such a bad deal, as I've heard there are some managment companies/landlords who will pay the broker's fee. But if you go directly through the management company, you may be able to get a month's free rent instead. OTOH a broker may be able to have access to apartments that you won't find listed on the managment company/landlord websites.

As to Craigslist listings being fishy, I can tell you that one broker is still using on his webpage pictures from an old apartment of mine as a current listing, even though said apartment no longer exists as the building was gut renovated and converted to condominiums. But to be fair, apartments move so fast here (well, a little slower these days) that it is simply not possible for a broker to photograph every rental apartment as it becomes available, and also have time to show apartments, do paperwork, etc. (A management company can because they have a set number of buildings).

Good Luck!

Last edited by nyctc7; 12-27-2008 at 01:46 AM..

Old 12-27-2008, 07:31 AM

939 posts, read 3,385,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelani.laraya View Post
I would like to know of some good websites to go to to look for apartments for rent. And what are the best newspapers for this? As far as websites, I know there is Craigslist but I hear that Craigslist can be a little fishy in terms of what you find and that a lot of the listings are not truthful.
Find New York City Apartments For Sale & Manhattan Real Estate To Own At StreetEasy is useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City