Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:48 PM

16,287 posts, read 32,482,287 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what the trend makers think of Coach? Is it all that or last years gift idea? Does the brand have a following within the city? My beautiful wife loves the brand and I can always seem to make her happy with a Coach purse under the tree. I am also into the brand and asked her for a leather wallet minus all the C's that are part of the marketing. Seems that they make an actual leather wallet that doesn't have the Coach branded C all over it. Amazing, because I just can't understand the facination with informing the public that someone is alligned with one designer or another. For example does DKNY produce a product without DKNY plastered all over the front of the product, or the rear of the product depending on the situation? I am sure that Donna is an amazing designer, but their is only so much you can do with a shirt. As far as Coach goes, we have people having the interiors on their cars redone with the Coach material.

So is it in or out in the New York area? Can a Coach product bring the same awe and attention as other top brands? Is it considered a top brand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 01:25 PM

10,654 posts, read 18,718,651 times
Coach is a mid-range brand.

Honestly, I don't care for it, especially the logo bags.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:32 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,333,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Just wondering what the trend makers think of Coach? Is it all that or last years gift idea? Does the brand have a following within the city? My beautiful wife loves the brand and I can always seem to make her happy with a Coach purse under the tree. I am also into the brand and asked her for a leather wallet minus all the C's that are part of the marketing. Seems that they make an actual leather wallet that doesn't have the Coach branded C all over it. Amazing, because I just can't understand the facination with informing the public that someone is alligned with one designer or another. For example does DKNY produce a product without DKNY plastered all over the front of the product, or the rear of the product depending on the situation? I am sure that Donna is an amazing designer, but their is only so much you can do with a shirt. As far as Coach goes, we have people having the interiors on their cars redone with the Coach material.

So is it in or out in the New York area? Can a Coach product bring the same awe and attention as other top brands? Is it considered a top brand?
It was really really in style here in NYC about 3 years ago. But there are people that are hardcore into that brand. For these people of course it never went out of style. For what its worth I've never really heard anyone say something bad about the quality or etc of authentic coach stuff.

Its a matter of taste. Personally, I don't really shop like that just based on brands.

I read an article about them once in a business mag. Supposedly the premium Euro brands sort of look down on Coach for being a "affordable luxury," brand.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:27 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,648,676 times
I don't see it as often now in the city as I did a few years back. Considering Coach bags start around the $200 - $300 mark, I think Coach is more of a entry into the luxury level and it probably a little more mainstream than others. I see more women nowadays with Gucci and LV bags and along those lines. Personally, as a guy - I think hundreds of dollars for a bag is crazy enough as it is.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:31 PM

7,079 posts, read 38,026,124 times
When Coach was located IN NYC it was a wonderful brand. Then the Kahns (who also own Coach Goat Farm and make all that goat cheese) sold it to Sara Lee and it's gone down hill. Not such well made merchandise any more. And that trademark butter-soft leather is history, too.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:22 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,517,726 times
Most of the women in my family tend to keep their vintage Coach bags, but are not huge fans of the newer releases, though some are okay for everyday use if gotten on sale. They have switched to Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Chanel, Fendi, and Prada mostly. I also think that one of them tends to like Marc Jacobs for understated day bags. For a New York look with good quality, check out Kara Ross or Carolina Herrera, both of which are favorites with them as well. Donna Karan does make high quality non-logo plastered bags, but those are under her Donna Karan label, not her DKNY line.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:39 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,090,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
When Coach was located IN NYC it was a wonderful brand. Then the Kahns (who also own Coach Goat Farm and make all that goat cheese) sold it to Sara Lee and it's gone down hill. Not such well made merchandise any more. And that trademark butter-soft leather is history, too.
Oh I see now, I had no idea the company was acquired. The Coach brand certainly was an old staple back in the day. A name known for its quality and workmanship, not for how much you paid for it by advertising a million c's all over the bag. Back in the 80s the bags were very plain and just had a leather coach tag that identified its maker in a more understated tone. At the time they were like a Saab type of vehicle, not flashy but known for good quality (though I understand saab's quality has also gone downhill). Nowadays, I view it as a cheap version of the disgustingly expensive bags like Gucci or LV, but clearly still quite expensive all the same. I find my bags cute and they are of course always real leather, but personally I'm not into paying $600-$1500 just for a name on a bag.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:34 AM

504 posts, read 1,584,290 times
Nowadays almost everyone has a Coach bag. To me it's mid range.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:54 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,552,380 times
Coach is an entry level luxury brand. So what. Does that make it "bad"? I have a green leather coach bag that I adore. I'm resting it now and recycled an old red Monsac bag that looks fantastic since no one where I live is carrying red, and my green bag is hanging off everyone's arm this winter.

I secretly yearn for one of those Goyard totes....

Old 12-17-2008, 08:59 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,602,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
If you're looking for awe and attention, it may fail those criteria these days. If you're looking for good quality products that look good - you're still right on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City