Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 11:51 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,861,507 times

Advertisements

I stated that not too long ago these were not prime locations. You may not have wanted to live on Rector street or Water street in the 80's and early 90's. Now some of the same people remain at these addresses because the location has become prime.

So people should just have to relocate like nomads because someone decides that this is prime. Kind of sounds like the trail of tears to me.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:54 AM

34,100 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
I stated that not too long ago these were not prime locations. You may not have wanted to live on Rector street or Water street in the 80's and early 90's. Now some of the same people remain at these addresses because the location has become prime.

So people should just have to relocate like nomads because someone decides that this is prime. Kind of sounds like the trail of tears to me.
this is true....williamsburg even as late as 1998, 1999 was a dumpy area.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-17-2008, 12:10 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,765 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
this is true....williamsburg even as late as 1998, 1999 was a dumpy area.
A lot of these areas were dumps back in the day. The neighborhood people lived there and help to fight to bring the neighborhoods back from decay and now they are considered greedy little renters who are not moving out so that people can make a bigger profit. When I first moved back to Brooklyn, Fort Greene was one of the most crime invested, drug ridden neighborhoods in Brooklyn and now it is considered one of the best. I guess those who stayed to help bring about the revitalization should just move on out the way and find another neighborhood to live in. I can feel for the plights of some landlords but a lot of this is not about making a profit but making an extreme profit. Cry me a friggin river!

Old 12-17-2008, 12:20 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,575,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
I can feel for the plights of some landlords but a lot of this is not about making a profit but making an extreme profit. Cry me a friggin river!
Well put.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:26 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
Drkman do you agree that you moved there back in the day because it was somewhere you could afford to live at the time? You did not expect to move to, say, the Upper East Side for the same amount of rent that you would pay in Ft. Green back then did you? So I ask you, do you feel that you are entitled to live somewhere at a rent YOU feel is fair and reasonable? Or you are entitled/deserve to live there because you have always lived there/lived there when it was "bad"....and everything else is simply irrelevant. Or should the market dictate that?

Old 12-17-2008, 12:31 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,861,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Drkman do you agree that you moved there back in the day because it was somewhere you could afford to live at the time? You did not expect to move to, say, the Upper East Side for the same amount of rent that you would pay in Ft. Green back then did you? So I ask you, do you feel that you are entitled to live somewhere at a rent YOU feel is fair and reasonable? Or you are entitled/deserve to live there because you have always lived there/lived there when it was "bad"....and everything else is simply irrelevant. Or should the market dictate that?
The thread is about rent stabilization. The landlords are the ones crying on this thread.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:36 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,575,368 times
Quote:
The thread is about rent stabilization. The landlords are the ones crying on this thread.
Well put.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:32 PM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times
it certainly shouldnt be the tenants crying ..

Old 12-17-2008, 01:59 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Hi SobroGuy,

The big thing about Fort Greene when I moved back and to this day is that the "prime" location is really not affected by the rent stabilization laws. The buidling that I lived in had 5 apartments and a street level office and it was not rent stabilized. The landlord had everyright to raise the rent to whatever he deemed fit for the apartment. To be honest, I did not move into a rent stabilized apartment until I moved to Clinton Hill and at that time, over 15 years ago, the apartment was renting for 850.00.

To answer your question, I would not expect to have moved to the Upper East Side and pay the same amount that I was paying in Fort Greene but I do feel that when a landlord purchases a "rent stabilized" building they are aware of what the rent roll is and what to expect regardless of the area. What I feel is fair and reasonable is not important and means nothing but if someone has lived in a buidling for many, many years and have fought to make the neighborhood and their building better, I think it is unfair to now expect them to curl up and move on so that a bigger profit can be realized. If a landlord remortgaged their property to gain access to more money and knows that the current rental payments cannot cover the increased payments, I don't feel that is the tenants responsibility.

I am not talking about Prime area or prime location, I am talknig about your basic areas that were gritty and noone wanted to be there and now all of a sudden it is fashionable to live in these places. Fashionable as it may be, there should be some consideration giving to the tenents that may have helped to make the area better. Most landlords are not there for the day to day living in an area and have no great knowledge about what goes on in the neighborhood. They see a neighborhood value rise and are happy about it but have no stake in the neighborhood except for money. This is not all landlords but the nature of rent stabilized buildings took a big shift when foreign investors decided to add the buildings to their portfolio of properties because of the thinking to buy cheap, kick people out and make a big profit. This is the dream that was sold to a lot of people as real estate values were increasing in an unprecented manner.

It is not hard to figure out though, that for an area who's median income is about 35,000 that apartments should not be going for 2000 per month. This is the reality in a lot of neighborhoods. I recently read an article that discussed how about 1/3 of households (I believe but I could be incorrect) were paying close to 50% of their income on rent. That is not fair to anyone. Low income people and middle income people need a place to live and it should not have to be that a roommate is a given and not a choice. It should not be that very few families can survive off of 1 person's salary. That is just my personal opinion and means nothing in the real world but it is disheartening.

New York City may be a city that has a lot of wealth but that wealth has not translated to everyone in New York City and there are very few neighborhoods that are not considered "up and coming". So since practically every neighborood is considered the next big thing just where do people go that are not making a decent salary? Everyone cannot live in the projects, and the low income housing rules are so stringent that very few low income people qualify.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:00 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
Lol...Das I simply proposed a question. Anyone is open to answer it....Landlords do cry..while Tenants YELL and DEMAND.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City