Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2008, 09:15 PM

3 posts, read 19,240 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone - My job is relocating me to Madison, NJ and my boyfriend just got a job in Midtown Manhattan near times square. We'd like to live in the city and keep my commute to a minimum.

Any suggestions on where to live that would be good for both of our work locations? I'm open to living in Brooklyn or somewhere where owning a car to drive to work is feasible, but I'm not sure how traffic would be (hoping not so bad since I'd be going against traffic...).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 10:14 PM

37 posts, read 204,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lori2427 View Post
Hi everyone - My job is relocating me to Madison, NJ and my boyfriend just got a job in Midtown Manhattan near times square. We'd like to live in the city and keep my commute to a minimum.

Any suggestions on where to live that would be good for both of our work locations? I'm open to living in Brooklyn or somewhere where owning a car to drive to work is feasible, but I'm not sure how traffic would be (hoping not so bad since I'd be going against traffic...).

Thanks!
There is still going to be traffic doing the reverse commute (It may not be as bad going into the city but there is def traffic). Madison NJ does have a NJ Transit train station, so depending on how far your office is from the train station I would train it. From the train station there may be local cabbies that could take you to work.

As for living, I would try to live near Penn station being that your bf works in midtown and you'd be close to NJ Transit from Penn. I do understand Manhattan prices are not cheap so if Brooklyn is your financial option then you might as well drive to NJ.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:59 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I would second the notion of the train from Manhattan. It's not the outbound or Jersey traffic that would be problematic, it's inbound across the Hudson that's going to likely be an issue in the afternoon.

You could also consider living just across the river in New Jersey and driving to/from Madison and having your boyfriend commute to Times Square, which would be faster than from Brooklyn in many places. Places like Hoboken, Weehawken, Jersey City, are just across the river from NY, some have stunning city views as well, and it's much easier to get to Madison via car because you don't have to cross Manhattan or cross Staten Island to get to New Jersey.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:55 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
I worked in NJ and lived in Manhattan for four years. The homebound trip can be a true nightmare: HOURS at the Lincoln Tunnel. I lived on the West Side at the time and used to take the GW bridge: 20 miles out of my way, but MUCH faster.

If I could have taken the train or bus, I would have!

Old 10-10-2008, 09:13 AM

3 posts, read 19,240 times
Default Additional question

Thanks to everyone who responded! I'm thinking that the best option would be to live somewhere in N. NJ like Jersey City or Weehawken. Are any of those places drivable to Madison, NJ? I can bear a commute as long as it's usually less than an hour.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:40 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
You are well under an hour to Madison on a normal day from those parts of NNJ, since the traffic is not too bad. Now, on a bad day, it might take an hour or so if there's heavy rain, etc., but otherwise even with traffic you'd be looking at maybe 45 minutes. It's roughly a 25-30 mile commute from close-in NNJ to Madison, much of it reverse traffic.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-10-2008 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City