Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 08:03 PM

4 posts, read 9,394 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to New York from Chicago in a few weeks. I love my neighborhood, Logan Square, here in Chicago. Are there any neighborhoods in Brooklyn that are similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 09:04 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,679,228 times
Can you describe your neighborhood? I live in a nice, urban section of Brooklyn that is very close to Manhattan so maybe I can give you advice. However, I really don't know Chicago well.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:45 PM

Logan Square is about 30 minutes on the train from Downtown. It's a neighborhood that has gentrified quite a bit in the last 10-15 years. There are a ton of young artist types who live here and the rents are really afforable. There is a farmers market where you can get a crepe made on the spot, and you can hang out on the grassy medians on the Boulevard. The bars are chill and cozy and only frequented by locals (no drunk suburbanites), and there is a nice music venue, a $3 movie theater, great cheap Mexican food, within walking distance, and one of my favorite brunch places is around the corner (Cafe Lula).

Last edited by chicago2nyc; 08-25-2008 at 10:13 PM..

Old 08-25-2008, 09:48 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,421,261 times
I would tend to equate Logan Square with Jackson Heights, Queens in terms of diversity. If it's the newer artist set in the gentrifying neighborhood that you are looking for, you might check in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, that is roughly equivalent to the Bucktown area. Lincoln Park is closer to Brooklyn Heights/Cobble Hill/Park Slope if that helps to determine the similarity of neighborhoods.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:58 PM

I will check out Jackson Heights - thanks. I have been to Williamsburg, and it's great, but I prefer an area that is more low key (and more affordable). I have friends in Queens (Astoria and Sunnyside), so I will be looking in Queens as as well. People have suggested Bushwick and Greenpoint to me. However, I'm 30 now, and a little tired of the whole "artist set in gentrifying neighborhood" deal. I am thinking more cozy and neighborhoody.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:06 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,988,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago2nyc View Post
I will check out Jackson Heights - thanks. I have been to Williamsburg, and it's great, but I prefer an area that is more low key (and more affordable). I have friends in Queens (Astoria and Sunnyside), so I will be looking in Queens as as well. People have suggested Bushwick and Greenpoint to me. However, I'm 30 now, and a little tired of the whole "artist set in gentrifying neighborhood" deal. I am thinking more cozy and neighborhoody.
Jackson Heights is next to Astoria, and only about 10 - 15 minutes away from Sunnyside. It's pretty affordable.. I'd say the common price is $1,200. I'm not too sure what you mean by low key though.. I think New York's low key might be different from Chicago's.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:44 AM

13,513 posts, read 17,050,732 times
Jackson Heights is a crazy neighborhood. I would not describe it as "low key". Astoria is quieter than Jackson Heights. Both are very diverse and relatively safe. Jackson Heights is mostly South Asian and Hispanic, so if you are neither of those you will be a minority. Astoria is also very mixed, but it has Greek, Arab, Hispanic, and a bunch of other mixed in.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:28 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,421,261 times
Jackson Heights is diverse, for certain, like Logan Square, but it's not very low key as others have posted. For a truly lower key environment you would need to look into other areas of Queens such as Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, and even parts of Bayside. These areas are not quite as diverse, however, and you are likely to pay more than Jackson Heights.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:11 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,887 times
What about Sunset Park?

Old 08-26-2008, 12:17 PM

107 posts, read 359,008 times
Jackson Heights is pretty crazy; I lived there for 5 years. East Indians tend to cluster around 70th to 79th Street, while Hispanics dominate the 80s. Hence, I would not call it diverse. Also, it is lower-middle class. Sunset Park I heard is pretty crummy. Living in Chicago and having lived in NYC, I would equate Logan Square with East Williamsburg or Bushwick.

Last edited by kuvopolis; 08-26-2008 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City