Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 10:05 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,640,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead
Flushing is nice and fairly cheap, but if you aren't Chinese or Korean you might feel out of place.

Yeah, if you live in Downtown Flushing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 02:02 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,506,484 times
Brooklyn is the hippest borough in the city? Yay. That's my borough.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:11 PM

502 posts, read 2,297,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
Hi,

A friend of mine is moving to NY and is considering living in Queens because she doesn't want to live in Brooklyn and can't afford Manhattan. I honestly don't know much of Queens so I was wondering if anyone from that area could tell us what the best neighborhoods are.

Thanks!
Which town is best for you depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a nice quiet town that is good for raising a family with a good school district, I would say Bayside is your best bet. They have an excellent school district. However, if you are young, single and want to be close to Manhattan but still be in a nice neighborhood, I'd say Forest Hills. Astoria is a hop and a skip from Manhattan but Forest Hills is basically a prettier town. The issue with Bayside is commuting. It may not be the fastest commute to the City. Queens is extremely diversified which is why I love it.

Other good towns (safe, clean, good schools):
Douglaston
Oakland Gardens
Kew Gardens (some parts nicer than others)
Briarwood
Clearview
Murray Hill
Fresh Meadows
Howard Beach
Whitestone

Old 02-04-2007, 02:55 PM

548 posts, read 2,018,811 times
Middle Village is reasonably safe, there are some good shopping areas and it's not too far from the subway.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:15 PM

122 posts, read 791,039 times
I would say Astoria because it's got a lot of shops, etc., is close to Manhattan via subway, and seems safe at night.

Ozone Park area is nice, too. If you're racist like some people on this forum, you might not like the large West Indian/Indian population, but I also feel safe there at night, as it is a very family-oriented area (with tons of cheap, good food).

Both those neighborhoods are reasonable as far as rent goes, and both involve a hassle-free commute to Manhattan. HOWEVER, I agree with the person who advised your friend against counting Brooklyn out. I don't think I'd ever choose Queens over Brooklyn--there's so much more to do and see there!

Old 02-07-2007, 07:31 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,968,601 times
If you take the LIRR, the commute from Bayside to Penn Station is 20-25 minutes...and a lot easier than buses or subways. Granted, it's a lot more money, but you get what you pay for!

Old 02-17-2007, 03:56 PM

48 posts, read 461,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
I beg you, theanswer: give us a break! You and your race obsession. Holy Madness.
Why don't you beg mead?? This person is clearly a racist. Iquess he/she is your cup of tea

Old 03-04-2007, 08:20 PM

33 posts, read 198,958 times
Astoria is 10 minutes to the city, but it's very congested. Great for single people or young couples with no kids. I love Bayside. Its a longer commute into the city but well worth it. Great schools, restaurants, neighborhoods and parks. Hope this was helpful...good luck.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:00 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,673,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2LI View Post
I love Bayside. Its a longer commute into the city but well worth it. Great schools, restaurants, neighborhoods and parks. Hope this was helpful...good luck.

Yes, you bet. Crocheron Park is nice, during the daytime, anyway. The place used to turn into a dope supermarket at night, is it still like that? Hopefully, the cops chased them away - I haven't lived around there for some years.

And, you have White Castle!

Old 03-05-2007, 12:52 PM

359 posts, read 2,594,866 times
Its hard to say what the best place to live in Queens is because there are alot of very different neighborhoods. You have the Rockaways if you like the beach, S.Ozone Park, Jackson Heights, Jamaica and Astoria if you like it urban. And you got Ozone Park and others if you like it suburban. There is alot to choose from in Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City