Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:17 PM

18 posts, read 77,302 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have a friend who is originally from Brighton Beach, he is looking to go back. He said if I wanted to get out of Miami I could go with him so as to be able to split rent I guess. However I do not know much about the neighborhood, except that it is heavily Russian and Ukranian i think (my friend himself is from Russia). I guess I am considering moving because I am bored of where I live now. But I am wondering if Brighton Beach would be a nice place for someone like me to live. I am a 23 year old male...for fun I enjoy going out to eat, maybe hanging at a bar..not much of a night club type though, I DO like going to the beach although I am assuming the beaches in NYC are different from Miami beach. Ok so I've been to NYC before, done the whole Manhattan tourist thing, also visited some friends in Williamsburg...those places were cool but I know Manhattan is very expensive and Williamsburg didn't appeal to me that much. Anyway I do not know if Brighton Beach would be a good fit, but my friend really likes it, so I am looking for a more unbiased opinion. Also, how much is rent typically...also I think I would like to work in the hospitality field, and I suppose if I have to commute I would not mind, especially if I can use the subway. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 09:32 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
it is a nice place, and I like the beach as it is the closest to where I am

it will take you a while to get to manhattan by train though

But the beach is nice, and simple, no real boardwalk scene like on the jersey shore

the whole main thorough fare there is mostly underneath the subway so you get plenty of shade as you walk around

Parking is horrendous

There is also emmons ave nearby with nice restaurants, and bars

Old 06-22-2008, 09:44 PM

922 posts, read 3,860,320 times
The area is generally safe. However, since you are not Russian you will be a minority in Brighton Beach. Everyone around you will be speaking Russian. Even the businesses along Brighton Beach Ave. have their signs in Cyrillic (with English too).

It is understandable that your friend wants to return to his "hometown" because the Russian community is very tight-knit and he probably feels more at home there.

The adjacent neighborhoods like Bensonhurst and Sheepshead Bay are also safe and affordable. Sheepshead Bay may be a good compromise for you and your friend since there is still a significant Russian presence, and it is very close to Brighton Beach, but is more "American" because the area is a mix of Brooklyn natives and Russian immigrants.

Both areas are served by subways and the commute to Manhattan is about an hour.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:01 PM

I am an American in Miami so I am used to being in the minority haha. How long is the typical commute in NYC? My commute right now is about 40 minutes, but thats by car because Miami's public transportation system is sub par. I know that rent is high in all of New York but is Brighton Beach cheaper than other places?

Old 06-23-2008, 10:22 AM

58 posts, read 343,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canthardlywait View Post
Hello. I have a friend who is originally from Brighton Beach, he is looking to go back. He said if I wanted to get out of Miami I could go with him so as to be able to split rent I guess. However I do not know much about the neighborhood, except that it is heavily Russian and Ukranian i think (my friend himself is from Russia). I guess I am considering moving because I am bored of where I live now. But I am wondering if Brighton Beach would be a nice place for someone like me to live. I am a 23 year old male...for fun I enjoy going out to eat, maybe hanging at a bar..not much of a night club type though, I DO like going to the beach although I am assuming the beaches in NYC are different from Miami beach. Ok so I've been to NYC before, done the whole Manhattan tourist thing, also visited some friends in Williamsburg...those places were cool but I know Manhattan is very expensive and Williamsburg didn't appeal to me that much. Anyway I do not know if Brighton Beach would be a good fit, but my friend really likes it, so I am looking for a more unbiased opinion. Also, how much is rent typically...also I think I would like to work in the hospitality field, and I suppose if I have to commute I would not mind, especially if I can use the subway. Thanks.
I would suggest Bensonhurst/Bath Beach area instead.
Brighton Beach is not just "Russian area", it is also very specific Russian area. Brighton Russians try hard to live with other Russian. What does it mean? It means, that it is full of illegal immigrants, people who cannot fit in to English speaking environment, people with low income. It also means that there is a lot of people which can be easily exploited (i.e. by Russian crminals). This is also area, where people with limited means try hard to show off their success. I saw a woman in fur coat stepping out of big Mercedes and buying caviar for food stamps. I am not sure, that this is good area to live. Bath Beach has plenty of Russians and nice boardwalk, but it is much more balanced.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:00 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Typical commute to Manhattan from Brighton Beach? If you catch the B train, which is an express through Brooklyn, you could be standing in Herald Square in about 40 minutes. (You've got a former conductor here, and I worked the B line!)

Old 06-23-2008, 04:06 PM

Thank you, and I will look into these other neighborhoods.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:43 PM

151 posts, read 525,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjohn View Post
I saw a woman in fur coat stepping out of big Mercedes and buying caviar for food stamps.
This is the best g'damn reason to live in Brighton Beach I've ever read.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:41 AM

3 posts, read 14,442 times
I would stay in miami, you have a clean beach, roads are nice to drive on, and salary's are similar compared to any profession in nyc. Only thing(s) I hate about miami is either the hurricane season and/or the humidity pressure. Otherwise the few posts above me give a good taste of what your in for. And rent is expensive in NY, you get what you pay for,especially over here.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:07 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
It is a fact of life around here that for everyone who appreciates living in this city, you can always find at least one other New Yorker who doesn't. I'd say, come on up to Brooklyn! At worst, if you don't like it, you can go back to Miami.

By the way, you should also be prepared for the fact that rush hour in this town lasts for well over 60 minutes. My brother used to live in Coconut Grove, and I was always surprised by the way downtown Miami empties out in twenty minutes. You won't find anything like that in New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City