Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 03:34 PM

5 posts, read 1,524 times

Advertisements

I'll (26M) be in NYC for this upcoming summer and I was able to find termporary, fully furnished housing in Brooklyn at the corner of Clinton and Atlantic Ave. From this forum, I've gathered that the area is relatively safe, but I am worried about the length of my work commute to Midtown (near Koreatown), stuff to do, and safety at night. The apartment is a 1b/1b that fit within my budget or $2700ish and it has a washer/dryer in unit. I'm sure it will end up being fine and I will enjoy my time in New York, but I feel like I still need assurance that this was a good pick and that there isn't something better out there . What are your thoughts?

Thank you to everyone on this forum for helping me feel better about the apartment hunting process
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 04:26 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeplsnyc View Post
I'll (26M) be in NYC for this upcoming summer and I was able to find termporary, fully furnished housing in Brooklyn at the corner of Clinton and Atlantic Ave. From this forum, I've gathered that the area is relatively safe, but I am worried about the length of my work commute to Midtown (near Koreatown), stuff to do, and safety at night. The apartment is a 1b/1b that fit within my budget or $2700ish and it has a washer/dryer in unit. I'm sure it will end up being fine and I will enjoy my time in New York, but I feel like I still need assurance that this was a good pick and that there isn't something better out there . What are your thoughts?

Thank you to everyone on this forum for helping me feel better about the apartment hunting process
Area has gentrified to death and is squarely in rich heartland of transplant, hipster, etc... "new" Clinton Hill.

Lovely tree lined streets filled with beautiful rowhouses and older pre-war apartment buildings mixed with newer modern buildings.

This building is in that area and gives you transit options. Subway service for Clinton Hill is at best weak. Major train is the "G" that you have to take to Queens (Court Square) and transfer to "E" trains into Manhattan or reverse to return other way.

Or coming from or getting to Koreatown you can walk or whatever over to 8th avenue and take the "C" train which has station at "Clinton-Washington" streets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinto...on_Street_Line)

Safety at night is a relative thing. That area now is certainly safer than say 1980's or before, but you still have to watch yourself.

Coming home late or over night from city I'd just take Uber or a taxi rather than deal with subway.

Old 02-14-2024, 04:35 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Area has gentrified to death and is squarely in rich heartland of transplant, hipster, etc... "new" Clinton Hill.

Lovely tree lined streets filled with beautiful rowhouses and older pre-war apartment buildings mixed with newer modern buildings.

This building is in that area and gives you transit options. Subway service for Clinton Hill is at best weak. Major train is the "G" that you have to take to Queens (Court Square) and transfer to "E" trains into Manhattan or reverse to return other way.

Or coming from or getting to Koreatown you can walk or whatever over to 8th avenue and take the "C" train which has station at "Clinton-Washington" streets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinto...on_Street_Line)

Safety at night is a relative thing. That area now is certainly safer than say 1980's or before, but you still have to watch yourself.

Coming home late or over night from city I'd just take Uber or a taxi rather than deal with subway.
Google Maps also shows that Barclays is a 12 minute walk from Clinton/Atlantic, opens up more transit options.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-14-2024, 05:55 PM

307 posts, read 636,802 times
Commutes a bit of a pain out of Clinton hill unless you walk to Fort Green (G to E may work best from Clinton Washington)

I spent a year on Ryerson, north of Myrtle Ave. Its a generally beautiful area, especially around Pratt on Clinton and Washington Streets.

Old 02-14-2024, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post
Commutes a bit of a pain out of Clinton hill unless you walk to Fort Green (G to E may work best from Clinton Washington)

I spent a year on Ryerson, north of Myrtle Ave. Its a generally beautiful area, especially around Pratt on Clinton and Washington Streets.
It is amazing how fast Clinton Hill popped, especially east of Myrtle going towards and across Atlantic avenue. Fair warning some consider area on other side of Atlantic Brooklyn Heights.

Late as 1990's you could still find rowhouses, mansions, carriage houses, apartments (many prewar in older tenements but renovated) for reasonable money. By 2000's things had changed and certainly from 2010's onward.

Good number who missed out on Fort Green went in early for Clinton Hill. Others waited for various reasons and by time they were ready either priced out or couldn't find anything.

Knew someone who lived on Washington near DeKalb back in 1990's. Her apartment was broken into twice, bf's car was stolen once and broken into several times. After all that she said "enough" and moved out.

As noted anyone who has been in Clinton Hill going towards Clinton/Atlantic and beyond can see the attraction. Streets upon tree lined streets with tons of beautiful row houses, apartment buildings, etc....

Issue has always been subway service. When area was largely built up in 1850's good number of people found work along Brooklyn waterfront or downtown, so maybe getting into city daily wasn't such a big deal.

Dekalb and Atlantic has huge subway station, but you the have to walk down Dekalb or whatever (through Fort Green) to reach Clinton Hill. Something not advisable late or overnight back in day. There are buses but not everyone wants to wait.

Old 02-14-2024, 06:55 PM

Quote:

Just mind traffic when crossing Atlantic avenue, and for most part you should be fine.

https://www.brooklynpaper.com/driver...-atlantic-ave/

Old 02-14-2024, 08:06 PM

1,057 posts, read 541,921 times
G train is shut down for 6 weeks this summer (2024)

https://abc7ny.com/g-train-shutdown-...-mta/14329870/

Old 02-14-2024, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
G train is shut down for 6 weeks this summer (2024)

https://abc7ny.com/g-train-shutdown-...-mta/14329870/
That's going to s**k for a whole lot of people.

If it's no the "L" it's the "G". Pity of it is for those in areas of Brooklyn served there aren't often many easy alternatives.

Old 02-14-2024, 08:43 PM

5 posts, read 1,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Google Maps also shows that Barclays is a 12 minute walk from Clinton/Atlantic, opens up more transit options.
It's good to hear that you think this is a realistic option and not a huge inconvenience. I'll have the C within a 4 min walk and the G within 8 min (for most of the summer ): ). Commuting via Atlantic means way fewer stops + no transfers on the way to my office, but a 12 vs 4 minute walk is a pretty big difference.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:23 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
It's good to hear that you think this is a realistic option and not a huge inconvenience. I'll have the C within a 4 min walk and the G within 8 min (for most of the summer ): ). Commuting via Atlantic means way fewer stops + no transfers on the way to my office, but a 12 vs 4 minute walk is a pretty big difference.
Only in extreme weather conditions

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City