Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2008, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,370 times

Advertisements

hey everyone this is my first post so i'll introduce myself, I'm 18 and i'll be moving to NYC from Buffalo in the fall for college. I'll be going to a college in downtown near the Financial District, so i need help finding an apt in Brooklyn. I don't really have a preference for an apartment but generally the guidelines are,

Budget: 1400/mo
Beds:1
Bath:1
Kitchen:yes
Bathroom:yes
Onsite laundry: preferred
Elevator:doesn't matter

I need to know what are the areas closest to my college that are reasonably priced and safe for Brooklyn. I've been checking out Craigslist and found a couple nice ones in the Park Slope, Bay ridge and prospect Heights areas, I don't really know much about these areas if someone can expand, Convenient Transportation is also necessary. Also what lines will get me to downtown the fastest, I'm predicting about a 30 min commute to my college, but i'm not sure.

Also, this is a question for those knowledgeable about rent terms, I don't have a credit history, because i'm only 18, so my parents will be my guarantors, they have near perfect credit, and from what i've read guarantors have to make 80x the monthly rent, and that is fine but, do you think it will be harder to find an apartment because of this? I will be getting a student loan to pay for the rent utilities etc but initially i need to get approved to rent so I don't know how I will fare.

Lastly I know this is a long post but helpful advice is seriously appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 10:31 PM

877 posts, read 2,769,193 times
Park Slope or Prospect Heights should be fine if you can locate an apartment that is affordable. The commute from each area can be under 30 minutes on public transportation and most likely about 20 to get to the Financial District. Bay Ridge is further out in Brooklyn and the commute is much longer.

About the areas the best I can tell you is this:
Park Slope - Considered a hip, diverse area that a lot of Manhattanites have moved into. 5th Avenue and 7th Avenue are the main strips for nightlife (restaurants and bars but being 18 the bars are out of the question). I think 5th avenue is actually the strip that is considered a little more hip but I may be incorrect. Prospect Park is within walking distance as well as the Atlantic Terminal Mall. Eventually the Nets Stadium is supposed to be built in the area but construction has been stalled with that. The dividing line between Park Slope and Prospect Heights is Flatbush Avenue.

Prospect Heights - Is a little more grittier than Park Slope but tends to be more diverse with economics. Not as many amenities as Park Slope but that is beginning to change. The main strips are basically Vanderbilt Avenue or Washington Ave. It is not a large area but too me, it is a great area to be in. I prefer it over Park Slope but that is just my personal preference. Lots of young people are moving into the area and the neighborhood is beginning to reflect it. Prospect Park, Botanical Gardens, Brooklyn Museum of Art and the main public library in Brooklyn is located in this area.

Bay Ridge - considered a very nice area in Brooklyn that is very close to Staten Island. In fact you should be able to see the Verrazano Bridge as, I believe, the Brooklyn entrance is in the area and if not, very close by. More family orientanted then Park Slope or Prospect Heights, I think. More value for the money can be found in Bay Ridge also.

Any one of the areas would be fine but you would have to find the one that you are most comfortable in. Best of luck on school and your move.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:37 PM

283 posts, read 1,072,610 times
Those areas will be fine but I don't know what's out there for that price in Park Slope or Prospect Heights. Brokers will advertise listings as those neighborhoods when they really aren't. You can't go too wrong with stuff advertised as "Park Slope" because even if it's not really in the neighborhood, the surrounding areas to the south and west aren't dangerous. But brokers will have listings for "Prospect Heights" that are actually fairly deep into Crown Heights, which is a neighborhood that has some fairly serious crime issues. I have friends who are perfectly happy living there but it may not be ideal for your first place.

Bay Ridge is nice, especially down by the water, but it's full of middle-class families and isn't a very exciting place to be 18 and living in New York. You're also probably looking at a 45 minute commute to Lower Manhattan on the R train from there; it's an extra 10-15 minutes out on the R from Park Slope.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:39 PM

283 posts, read 1,072,610 times
Also, maybe you've already decided against this, but you should consider looking for a room on Craigslist with roommates. It may be nice not to have to commit to a lease right away before you get a chance to check out different neighborhoods. Also, for $1400, you should be able to find a room in a very nice shared apartment in pretty much any neighborhood in Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: