Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 05:16 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,405,809 times

Advertisements

Seems pretty cool for the workers. Especially with winter right around the corner

https://beta.gothamist.com/news/nyc-...aRedirect=true

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news...workers-100422
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2022, 05:48 PM

3,738 posts, read 3,474,654 times
Government help me! I need government!

Old 10-04-2022, 06:28 PM

6,692 posts, read 2,981,839 times
I mean, ..sounds cool. If I was a delivery biker I'd welcome it, especially in the winter.

But, just like some ATM rooms, will these turn into a homeless/mentally dangerous hang out?

Old 10-04-2022, 06:50 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,405,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I mean, ..sounds cool. If I was a delivery biker I'd welcome it, especially in the winter.

But, just like some ATM rooms, will these turn into a homeless/mentally dangerous hang out?
Interesting to see how that plays out. Maybe they will have some kind of precaution

Old 10-05-2022, 07:24 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,033,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post

Doubt it. The engine riders enforce their own spaces. If some loons try to start problems the Mexicans and Africans will enact their own street justice.

Old 10-05-2022, 07:58 AM

621 posts, read 241,214 times
As of now, I don't like this idea. There are many other "important" areas where NYC can spend its money like fixing the potholes. Plus, I think these spaces will be havens for the homeless and mentally ill. Actually, I would prefer if these city-run spaces were earmarked for the homeless. Time will tell...maybe I might be grow to like these spaces...but I'm a "nah" as of now.

Old 10-05-2022, 08:23 AM

6,689 posts, read 6,040,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
As of now, I don't like this idea. There are many other "important" areas where NYC can spend its money like fixing the potholes. Plus, I think these spaces will be havens for the homeless and mentally ill. Actually, I would prefer if these city-run spaces were earmarked for the homeless. Time will tell...maybe I might be grow to like these spaces...but I'm a "nah" as of now.
If the US stopped donating billions a month to a useless war in the Balkans, then there would be more than enough money to go around for everyone within our borders.

Old 10-05-2022, 08:32 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,263,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Government help me! I need government!
It appears more to be that the Adams administration has admitted that they don't want to/can't control the masses of delivery workers running around so they're trying to pen them into certain locations.

Just goes to show you how politically scummy NYC's current crop of politicians are. Instead of putting the onus on the companies to solve this problem (by shifting the costs unto them and their customers), they instead opt to encourage tax draining "gig jobs". They don't want 6 figure Amazon jobs but they do want near minimum wage "gig" jobs where the workers are also on the welfare rolls.

Last edited by Esacni; 10-05-2022 at 09:48 AM..

Old 10-05-2022, 09:34 AM

621 posts, read 241,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
If the US stopped donating billions a month to a useless war in the Balkans, then there would be more than enough money to go around for everyone within our borders.

Amen. People on here complain about money for the homeless, migrants, and low-income folks. But not a peep about this war.

PS - this citydata reputation system sucks. But I prefer to say something nice than to click a button anyways.

Old 10-05-2022, 09:54 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,263,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Amen. People on here complain about money for the homeless, migrants, and low-income folks. But not a peep about this war.

PS - this citydata reputation system sucks. But I prefer to say something nice than to click a button anyways.
One thing has little to do with another.

At least you can see the ROI with the money going to Ukraine ( dead RU soldiers, burned out tanks, IFV's, artillery, AA systems, etc.). It's also good PR for US weapons systems. Russia was the second largest worldwide weapons exporter (after the US) and now some of their existing contracts are getting cancelled. More US weapons sales = more US jobs (usually good paying, people that are net positive for the treasury) and indirectly the US becomes more relevant and influential.

The issue isn't spending money. The issue is positive ROI. The system only works if there's positive ROI beyond the inflation rate.

If the city/Feds are dumping upwards of $60K/year on lifelong welfare cases and their children are also welfare cases, do you think that's positive ROI?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City