Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 08:13 AM

2,448 posts, read 1,223,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
This is why they want to end WFH.

There's no other reason. The only people who want to go back are people who live in a boring place and/or can't stand their family.

If I could get out of NYC, I'd never go back again.
This is my experience. We never closed our office and the only ones in are people who want to get away from the family, or live in Manhattan and take an Uber/Taxi to the office. We have had several move out of state, and the CT/NJ/Westchester peeps have no desire to go back.

Maybe Adams should make a push to bring back manufacturing jobs to Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2022, 10:48 AM

37,174 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Given current Metro-North numbers, yes will give you WFH is an issue more with suburban and urban residents. Ridership on MN and LIRR IIRC is barely half of what it was pre-pandemic.

https://gothamist.com/news/mta-resto...o-lag#comments
The report quoted is interesting, but should probably consider that omicron dropped things substantially from a notably higher November and early December. I expect March numbers to start picking up where that left off, but we'll see. My guess is that it's taking a bit for office prices to readjust, but they will eventually and at some point/month in 2023 is when we'll see roughly LIRR overall ridership numbers thanks partially to East Side Access hit 2019 numbers for that same point and 2024 for MNR though of course a lot can happen between now and then.

Another thing to note is that non peak commute ridership both now and prior to the omicron spike recovered far more and faster than peak commute ridership. What should happen? Run the commuter rails more like S-Bahns/RERs. As always, of course.

Also, why do you use WFM? Stop this madness.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:06 PM

6,692 posts, read 2,981,839 times
The Metro North Harlem line has been getting packed lately. Can't even find a seat so I think there are people coming back. They've added more trains back too, so that helps.

Maybe not as much as Adam's would like but it's something.

There is a new normal now, he needs to buck up and if the huge commuter numbers and crowd were what was keeping crime low then that's not gonna help now. He needs to actually make the city safe and 'desirable' instead of relying on sheer numbers of 'normal' people drowning out the crazies.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:37 PM

37,174 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
The Metro North Harlem line has been getting packed lately. Can't even find a seat so I think there are people coming back. They've added more trains back too, so that helps.

Maybe not as much as Adam's would like but it's something.

There is a new normal now, he needs to buck up and if the huge commuter numbers and crowd were what was keeping crime low then that's not gonna help now. He needs to actually make the city safe and 'desirable' instead of relying on sheer numbers of 'normal' people drowning out the crazies.
Yea, I took a random work from New Haven trip because I felt like it and wanted apizza and it's definitely more crowded than it was several months back which felt like ages ago. I'm glad that they added more express trains recently

I think it's a fairly protracted process where we need to go through lease agreements to expire or be broken in Manhattan commercial / office real estate so that there's substantially more vacancy for a good while such that large commercial property owners need to drop the rent directly or effectively be forced to via declaring bankruptcy or some other way of losing or renegotiating whatever terms they had to finance those purchases if they do not outright own such without debt (lol!). That price drop then finally meets the appropriate demand curve though it may come with some change in usage especially in regards to some measure of office to residential conversion for some of the lesser office spaces especially as NYC before and through the pandemic had/has still been constructing massive new office developments. That then actually gets eyes on the streets. This process has been ongoing for a bit, but how much longer it'll take is hard to tell. The city vs city forum is a pretty good place for discussions like this as the NYC forum and most local forums save for a few is surprisingly short on people who are interested in meaningful data collection and analysis on cities.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-31-2022 at 01:35 PM..

Old 03-31-2022, 02:01 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,263,244 times
Working in an office (unless the job demands a physical presence to accomplish the work) is the new second and third tier work. It's a white collar McDonald's job.

Old 03-31-2022, 02:46 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,890,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Exactly. This used to be a major manufacturing hub.

There are plenty of abandoned warehouses hence the Amazon bid.

Old 03-31-2022, 04:01 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,403,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
This is my experience. We never closed our office and the only ones in are people who want to get away from the family, or live in Manhattan and take an Uber/Taxi to the office. We have had several move out of state, and the CT/NJ/Westchester peeps have no desire to go back.

I don't think manufacturing is returning to NYC. It can be done much cheaper elsewhere, and it is being increasingly automated. The future of it is a large manufacturing plant in semi-rural Pennsylvania, staffed by several hundred robots and less than hundred skilled staff capable of programming and troubleshooting the robots.

NYC has a future only as a major historic/cultural center. It is something that can attract more folks who can pay to live somewhere expensive, as well as a lot of visitors, plus hospitality industry is pretty much the only sector in which those couple of million of low-qualified people living in NYC are employable.

Old 03-31-2022, 05:34 PM

1,061 posts, read 549,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I don't think manufacturing is returning to NYC. It can be done much cheaper elsewhere, and it is being increasingly automated. The future of it is a large manufacturing plant in semi-rural Pennsylvania, staffed by several hundred robots and less than hundred skilled staff capable of programming and troubleshooting the robots.
Brooklyn Army Terminal and Industry City(formerly Bush Terminal) are attracting small manufacturing.

Old 03-31-2022, 06:17 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post

NYC has a future only as a major historic/cultural center. It is something that can attract more folks who can pay to live somewhere expensive, as well as a lot of visitors, plus hospitality industry is pretty much the only sector in which those couple of million of low-qualified people living in NYC are employable.
Who cleans the museum bathrooms? And where do they live?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-31-2022, 07:26 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,263,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Who cleans the museum bathrooms? And where do they live?
How about paying 1 person $80K to clean bathrooms (and actually put in a full days work) instead of 5 people, 30K each ( who put in an hour or two a day) and relying on the welfare system to top them up so that they could afford to live in NYC.

That's precisely how the current system works in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City