Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 04:06 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,778,202 times

Advertisements

Let's see if this will work or... it will just be the same ole same old. Ironic. As they were giving this press conference someone got stabbed on the L train (first ave stop, I believe) and had to be taken to the hospital.

https://gothamist.com/news/adams-hoc...ontent=2022218

Homeless people riding the subways will now be forced to leave the train at the end of the line and police will ramp up enforcement against spitting, laying down and littering on subways, Mayor Eric Adams announced at a press conference Friday with Governor Kathy Hochul, unveiling the second phase of their subway safety plan.

“No more smoking, no more doing drugs, no more sleeping, no more doing barbecues on the subway system,” Adams said, at a press conference at Fulton Street subway stop Friday morning. “No more just doing whatever you want. No, those days are over … The system was not made to be housing, it’s made to be transportation.”

Adams said people who reach the end of the line will be told they have to leave, and “End of the Line” teams that include police officers will be forcing them to do so. Those patrols will begin on the A,E,1,2 N and R lines, according to NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell, who added an additional 1,000 police officers are already on patrol throughout the system each day.

NYPD officers will have a direct mandate to enforce rules against lying down, sleeping, or outstretching, spitting or littering, aggressive behavior towards riders, smoking or open drug use, according to the new plan.

It also calls for adding 490 safe haven and “stabilization” beds — shelters that provide mental health treatment — as well as the creation of new drop-in centers for homeless people at key subway stations through a $100 million state investment. Along with police, the city will dispatch 30 joint response teams that include homeless services and health department workers to conduct outreach to homeless people on the subway.

Police have often used force to arrest and detain homeless people riding subways. Advocates for the homeless said they were alarmed by the mayor and governor’s announcement Friday, fearing that the broader housing goals of the plan would take far longer to implement, while the police enforcement could essentially ramp up overnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2022, 04:13 PM

Police seek knife-wielding man after Brooklyn-bound L train stabbing

https://www.amny.com/news/police-see...rain-stabbing/

A 22-year-old man was stabbed in the leg after getting into a dispute with another man while riding the Brooklyn-bound L train on Thursday afternoon, according to police sources.

On Feb. 17, officers from the 13th Precinct responded to a report around 2 pm of a stabbing on the L train. According to police sources, a 22-year-old man got into a heated argument with another passenger in his 40s before the older man stabbed the victim in the leg. The suspect fled the train on 14 Street and 1st Avenue, while the victim remained on the subway car until Bedford Avenue where he filed a report.

He was taken to Bellevue Hospital sustaining a non-life-threatening wound.

Old 02-18-2022, 04:23 PM

5,709 posts, read 2,627,371 times
They have been saying this for the last several years. I will believe it when I see it. Or rather don't see it

Old 02-18-2022, 09:46 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,238,853 times
If they will really crack down on the homeless in the subways, then it should work because this is what the city should have been doing all along. I said this a few years ago but plenty of people argued that my position (to kick them out of the subways) was too mean.

Well now we see I was right.

Old 02-18-2022, 10:04 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,819,076 times
Hope so.

Old 02-18-2022, 10:06 PM

2,638 posts, read 1,235,721 times
We will see if these effort work out this time.

I could see these efforts leading to more confrontations between NYPD and teenaged PoC in places like the Bronx and Brooklyn than effectively curbing the homeless issue on trains.

But we shall see.

Old 02-19-2022, 02:39 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,303,268 times
A poster said we should be executed for driving into the city when perfectly good mass transit exists. I will continue driving everywhere until I feel safe taking mass transit. Too many crazies moved into the subway during the pandemic. When I started seeing junkies shooting up in plain sight during rush hour on the train, I knew it was my cue to exit.

Old 02-19-2022, 04:12 AM

16,136 posts, read 6,881,763 times
Fill the hole with Sand.

and you thought........................................

Old 02-19-2022, 07:04 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,906,259 times
Good. I’m bout tired of them myself. They be laid out on the subway seats and nobody sit next to em.

Old 02-19-2022, 07:17 AM

This guy's sitting next to him. I wouldn't. Maybe it's just for a photo op.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...sts_po-organic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City