Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 10:55 AM

8,945 posts, read 4,813,658 times

Advertisements

A blast from the past. Looking at these photos puts things into perspective. Although subway crime & filth has been on the rise lately, it is nothing like it was in the 70's! Btw, I vaguely remember some of those cars especially the swinging overhead handrails.

https://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/g2...MBfqPl1X9ahIwQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2021, 11:21 AM

76 posts, read 40,619 times
Okay the graffiti was worse but I don’t see a homeless person camped out in a subway car which is common today

Old 12-17-2021, 11:30 AM

621 posts, read 244,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emm0011 View Post
Okay the graffiti was worse but I don’t see a homeless person camped out in a subway car which is common today

The homeless people were even worse then b/c they were shooting up on the trains. We complain about the cleanliness of the trains but they are far better than they were in the 80s...though the rat problem is worse now.

Old 12-17-2021, 11:44 AM

8,945 posts, read 4,813,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emm0011 View Post
Good point.
I wonder if homelessness was prevalent in the 70's. I know it was out in the streets (the Bowery) but I wonder if they hit up the subway cars like they do now.

Old 12-17-2021, 12:19 PM

2,111 posts, read 1,152,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Good point.
I wonder if homelessness was prevalent in the 70's. I know it was out in the streets (the Bowery) but I wonder if they hit up the subway cars like they do now.
I remember a coupe of homeless people sleeping on subway grates in the winter with three limos running outside a fancy store. There were a lot of people who built tiny shelters out of cardboard boxes in abandoned doorways.

The graffiti were awful. I’m so glad NYC finally got rid of them, and prevented the spread for
many years now.

Old 12-17-2021, 12:49 PM

7,481 posts, read 4,244,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Good point.
Two things - first, there was still manned token booths which helped keep subway platform crime down.

Second, less homelessness because NYC still had psychiatric hospital.

Quote:
The Hudson River State Hospital, a former state psychiatric hospital in Poughkeepsie, was constructed in 1871. The Hudson River State Hospital was operational from 1871 to 2003 until the 160 acres and countless buildings became too crowded and was forced to close.

Letchworth Village is a former institution for the mentally and physically disabled in Haverstraw, New York in Rockland County. Constructed in 1911 and closed in 1996.

Kings Park Psychiatric Hospital on Long Island opened its doors in 1885 as a solution to New York State’s surrounding overcrowded mental institutions and was the largest state-funded for a period of time. The 800-acre institution was a self sustaining facility with farms and railroad spurs to bring in supplies like coal. The hospital closed its doors permanently in 1996.

The Pilgrim State Psychiatric Center on Long Island was opened in 1931. The Pilgrim State Psychiatric Center remains operational today, yet drastically smaller than it once was.

The Harlem Valley Psychiatric Center, originally Harlem Valley State Hospital, opened in 1924 in the town of Dover, New York. The center gradually lost many of its patients due to the increase in psychotropic drugs, like Thorazine, and closed in 1994.

The Middletown State Homeopathic Hospital is located in Middletown, New York and was first opened in 1874. The hospital was eventually closed in 2006.
https://untappedcities.com/2017/09/1...around-nyc/10/

They were closed to save tax player money. At the same time, drug companies sold the idea that with new psychiatric drugs facilities weren't needed. As someone with a bipolar in-law, I'll tell you - psychiatric drugs don't work on a regular basis.

At the same time, immigration changed. In 1965, we abolished the National Origins Formula, which had been the basis of U.S. immigration policy since the 1920s. For the first time, immigration from within the Western Hemisphere was also restricted, legally capped at 120,000 annually. The old immigrants were educated Europeans. The new immigrants were less education, poorer South Americans. The new immigrants needed more welfare and social programs. IMHO, it's not a coincidence that NYC couldn't provide social programs and support psychiatric hospital at the same time.

Old 12-17-2021, 01:00 PM

4,293 posts, read 4,453,430 times
I miss those trains. I would feel like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever returning home from Discos at 4am.

Old 12-17-2021, 03:26 PM

10,231 posts, read 1,049,806 times
I rode the E and F trains in the 1970's. They were overcrowded at rush hour. The stations were dirty and unsafe. I also used Penn Station and it was dirty, filled with homeless people.
and the fares kept increasing.

Old 12-17-2021, 05:13 PM

26 posts, read 22,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
I rode the E and F trains in the 1970's. They were overcrowded at rush hour. The stations were dirty and unsafe. I also used Penn Station and it was dirty, filled with homeless people.
and the fares kept increasing.

I can't say what the 70s were like, but I do remember the early 80s. To a child (me), the system was genuinely scary, regardless of neighborhood. Incandescent lighting didn't help the atmosphere any. Also was trickier to figure out, due to signage and service patterns. Agree with the above re Penn Station. It and Grand Central were filthy, unsafe, dilapidated, and unpoliced. It was serious business and you had to keep your head about yourself.

Would recommend journalist Jim Dwyer's book Subway Lives to anyone interested to read more about these decades. And an article by Michael Crichton (forget the title; probably googleable).

I see in the past year or two that this type of nostalgia for that time period has become widespread. Or perhaps only a nostalgia for the aesthetic of that time. And perhaps only among those who didn't live it in person. It would be really interesting to read a considered article about why that might be. I mean, it's so strange that Esquire is running a photo series on it.

Old 12-17-2021, 05:36 PM

4,293 posts, read 4,453,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connotative View Post

Would recommend journalist Jim Dwyer's book Subway Lives to anyone interested to read more about these decades. And an article by Michael Crichton (forget the title; probably googleable).

Purchased.

Thank You
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City