Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 09:30 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what the latest standards/laws are (outside of Manhattan)?

Thinking of buying one to run around Queens on back streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2021, 09:48 AM

3,735 posts, read 3,467,022 times
Lol hey look someone who actually wants to follow scooter laws while 99% of current scooter riders in the city laugh at such laws.

Good on you I guess, but if you haven't noticed no one cares about or enforces bike or scooter laws due to the light touch mayor.

Perhaps with the new administration this may change.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:11 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Anyone know what the latest standards/laws are (outside of Manhattan)?

Thinking of buying one to run around Queens on back streets.
One thing that should not be happening is riding on the damn sidewalk, be it outside of or inside Manhattan.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:27 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
One thing that should not be happening is riding on the damn sidewalk, be it outside of or inside Manhattan.
For real. Can't count how many times I nearly collided with someone zipping along with a scooter.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
For real. Can't count how many times I nearly collided with someone zipping along with a scooter.
Bikes, scooters... They are all supposed to be used in the street. Most people know this, but still ride on the sidewalks anyway where pedestrians often times have no idea they're there or can't hear them coming. You're walking and coming to a corner where you can't see what's at the intersection and I had one of those e-bikes almost run right into me.

Also many of these bike lanes are not being used by cyclists and they continue to ride with traffic or on the sidewalk, which defeats the purpose of the bike lanes.

Old 09-11-2021, 12:09 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Is it actually legal to ride electrics of any sort in the bike lanes? I see it constantly.

Edit: I looked it up. What they call pedal assist bicycles are allowed. These only activate the moor when the driver is pedaling. Since I see all sorts of electric vehicles in the bike lanes (electric stand up scooter, electric sit down scooters, electric bikes that work when the rider is NOT pedaling), not to mention the occasional odd gas powered scooter/minibike, I'd say most of these are illegal.

Old 09-11-2021, 01:16 PM

5,679 posts, read 2,610,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Yup it's like everyday I'm almost hit.
I don't know what's worse sidewalks or going thru red lights

Old 09-11-2021, 01:49 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/elec...tnote1_i49ykf5

https://abc7ny.com/electric-bikes-e-...oters/8195195/

Not helpful. They need to specify what other restrictions there are in the 5 boros...

Old 09-11-2021, 03:33 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
Get a scooter,wear a helmet, keep a big lock, and a bag for the battery.

Get a good light kit and horn. Dont give no one a reason to make up a ticket...

Old 09-12-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Yup it's like everyday I'm almost hit.
I don't know what's worse sidewalks or going thru red lights
You have to look for traffic, look for the scooters, bikes, etc. in every direction and THEN cross, and keep your head on a swivel, even when walking on the sidewalk. Last year I was walking in the City and this what appeared to be couple were riding their Citibikes right on the sidewalk. The chick rode right on top of me. I turned around just in time. If I had moved to the right without looking, she would've ran right into me. Before I knew it, I yelled at her with some expletives and reminded her that she should be riding in the street. She acted as if nothing was wrong with what she was doing. Most of these people know and just don't care. Her boyfriend caught up to her on the next block, also riding on the sidewalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City