Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:45 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,007,351 times

Advertisements

I was reading in the AM NYC paper New York City News including Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx and Staten Island. Where you'll find information on Ground Zero, Central Park, Transit Alerts, Real Estate, the mafia -- amNY.com (http://www.amny.com/local - broken link) an article in yesterday's paper called " Immigrants Take on Landlords" that the median rents in NYC are as follows: (median rents are the exact numeric middle number, exactly half are higher and exactly half are lower. This is not the average.)

NYC $860
Bushwick $730
Chinatown $716
East Harlem $529

So this clearly asks the question: What is all the hype of lack of affordable housing in NYC? If half of the rents in NYC are BELOW $860....how are we lacking affordable housing? This clearly goes against all of the hype that people can no longer afford to live in this city anymore....how can this be possible when half the apts for rent in NYC rent for LESS than $860!!! And looking at the other sample neighborhoods....East Harlem's median is $529!!!! In order to see the article, you must go the website, choose "Old PDFs" then May 12, and then page 3.

Anyone else wondering what everyone is complaining about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 11:08 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,962,065 times
This is strange...where did these data come from?

Old 05-13-2008, 11:20 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,261,927 times
These numbers are affected by people who live in stabilized apartments. The reality is that if you go on an apartment hunt right now in all these neighborhoods you are not gonna find these rents.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:28 AM

Well there is no doubt that rent stabilization is the culprit here...but the reality is that there apts in NYC are more than affordable..they are downright cheap. You gotta wonder how NYC landlords can shoulder this undue burden...how long do you think LLs can absorb the monumental costs to maintain, heat these buildings when the rents cover nothing? I think another round of burning buildings may be sooner rather than later.

How is this allowed to continue? These rents would be considered average probably in Tennessee....this is ridiculous. Affordable housing is alive and well people..don't be fooled by the hype.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:22 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,681,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Well there is no doubt that rent stabilization is the culprit here...but the reality is that there apts in NYC are more than affordable..they are downright cheap. You gotta wonder how NYC landlords can shoulder this undue burden...how long do you think LLs can absorb the monumental costs to maintain, heat these buildings when the rents cover nothing? I think another round of burning buildings may be sooner rather than later.

How is this allowed to continue? These rents would be considered average probably in Tennessee....this is ridiculous. Affordable housing is alive and well people..don't be fooled by the hype.
Spoken by a true landlord playa for real.....!

Old 05-13-2008, 12:25 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,382,911 times
Quote:

yeah but your still skipping over the fact that the average joe will not be able to get these rents. So to say rent is downright cheap is not 100% factual, would you agree?

Now if someone can move to NYC from west hell and get those sorts of rent then yeah, I would agree with you. It would be interesting to see what the average rent is on available housing for the average person. Not taking into account rent stabilized apartments.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:48 PM

106 posts, read 393,241 times
Quote:
East Harlem's median is $529!!!!
I assume that this figure would include all the housing projects.

Also -- the data table in the article is from 2007.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:24 PM

The point is..there are about 1 million rent stabilized units in the city..so to discount them as an abberation, or somehow not reality...is hogwash! They are a major source of housing in the city..and represent the main housing for millions of people. The reality is median rents in NYC is $860...so to assert that affordable housing is in some sort of crisis would mean that the 1,000,000 rent stabilized housing units no longer exist....which is far from the truth.

Scatman...that may sound like I am speaking from the perspective of a LL< but if you owned a building in East Harlem, for ex, and the median rent you were earning was $529...how the heck would you afford to maintain the old building, AND provide heat and services? This is not the perspective of a LL...this is being fair and reasonable....there is no reason that in the most expensive city in the country, in the wealthiest country in the world, median rents should be anything like $529...its ridiculous.

I am glad this article came to light..as the affordable housing dilemma sounds like a bunch of hype to me...apts are downright CHEAP...unreasonably so for that matter. I dunno how these landlords can do it...I would probably burn my building down too....

Old 05-13-2008, 03:05 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,382,911 times
Quote:
The point is..there are about 1 million rent stabilized units in the city..so to discount them as an abberation, or somehow not reality...is hogwash! They are a major source of housing in the city..and represent the main housing for millions of people. The reality is median rents in NYC is $860...so to assert that affordable housing is in some sort of crisis would mean that the 1,000,000 rent stabilized housing units no longer exist....which is far from the truth.

Scatman...that may sound like I am speaking from the perspective of a LL< but if you owned a building in East Harlem, for ex, and the median rent you were earning was $529...how the heck would you afford to maintain the old building, AND provide heat and services? This is not the perspective of a LL...this is being fair and reasonable....there is no reason that in the most expensive city in the country, in the wealthiest country in the world, median rents should be anything like $529...its ridiculous.

I am glad this article came to light..as the affordable housing dilemma sounds like a bunch of hype to me...apts are downright CHEAP...unreasonably so for that matter. I dunno how these landlords can do it...I would probably burn my building down too....
Can a person right now, move to new york and find a readily available apartment for 529? If not then your argument doesn't hold true.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:16 PM

I dunno...can they? But that is moot...as the people who ARE LIVING HERE TODAY have a median rent of $860!! How can the median rent be so low, $529 in some neighborhoods, yet people are complaining when the new rent guidelines are providing increases of 4% on 1 year and 9% on 2 year leases? How are they unfairly paying too much when LLs are the ones that are really being raped with these offensively low rents.

Downright cheap housing, let alone Affordable housing, is clearly the norm in this city...there is no other way to justify a median rent of $860..however you want to spin it..these are the facts. Rents in this city are completely out of touch with the costs to operate these buildings..clearly we need significantly larger increases before the building start burning again...and I for one would not blame them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City