Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 04:26 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,448 times

Advertisements

Maybe the problem is not that people can't afford an apartment (as Guy has noted there seem to be plenty available), but that they can't afford an apartment in a certain area, or in the area where they grew up, so they complain and complain and make claims that the apartments are astronomically expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 04:41 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,056 times
Guy ok I see what you mean. Question, how much would I pay for a 3 bedroom in your neck of the woods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
Maybe the problem is not that people can't afford an apartment (as Guy has noted there seem to be plenty available), but that they can't afford an apartment in a certain area, or in the area where they grew up, so they complain and complain and make claims that the apartments are astronomically expensive.
i see what you mean. It is like that every where though. Heck in S. Florida rent in "desirable" areas is dumb high. But if you move to the "hood" it is reasonable. But then there are things that come with living in those types of areas too

Old 05-13-2008, 06:02 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Guy ok I see what you mean. Question, how much would I pay for a 3 bedroom in your neck of the woods?

i see what you mean. It is like that every where though. Heck in S. Florida rent in "desirable" areas is dumb high. But if you move to the "hood" it is reasonable. But then there are things that come with living in those types of areas too
3-BR, Liberty City.....???????

Old 05-13-2008, 10:21 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Well there is no doubt that rent stabilization is the culprit here...but the reality is that there apts in NYC are more than affordable..they are downright cheap. You gotta wonder how NYC landlords can shoulder this undue burden...how long do you think LLs can absorb the monumental costs to maintain, heat these buildings when the rents cover nothing? I think another round of burning buildings may be sooner rather than later.

How is this allowed to continue? These rents would be considered average probably in Tennessee....this is ridiculous. Affordable housing is alive and well people..don't be fooled by the hype.
Landlords generally don't maintain buildings that have a substantial number of stabilized or rent control tenants. At least that has been my experience. They usually allow the building to deteriorate to a large degree. My building for example probably hasn't seen any major renovations in the past 50 years and the paint is chipping off in the hallway, and the radiators are pretty crazy in the winter.

Take a look here for some economic perspective on the situation. The important part is after the quote: Megan McArdle (May 12, 2008) - Even more on the minimum wage

Old 05-14-2008, 01:52 AM

757 posts, read 3,362,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
Maybe the problem is not that people can't afford an apartment (as Guy has noted there seem to be plenty available), but that they can't afford an apartment in a certain area, or in the area where they grew up, . . .
. . . or an apartment which isn't already inhabited by someone else.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:44 PM

34,022 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I was reading in the AM NYC paper New York City News including Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx and Staten Island. Where you'll find information on Ground Zero, Central Park, Transit Alerts, Real Estate, the mafia -- amNY.com (http://www.amny.com/local - broken link) an article in yesterday's paper called " Immigrants Take on Landlords" that the median rents in NYC are as follows: (median rents are the exact numeric middle number, exactly half are higher and exactly half are lower. This is not the average.)

NYC $860
Bushwick $730
Chinatown $716
East Harlem $529

So this clearly asks the question: What is all the hype of lack of affordable housing in NYC? If half of the rents in NYC are BELOW $860....how are we lacking affordable housing? This clearly goes against all of the hype that people can no longer afford to live in this city anymore....how can this be possible when half the apts for rent in NYC rent for LESS than $860!!! And looking at the other sample neighborhoods....East Harlem's median is $529!!!! In order to see the article, you must go the website, choose "Old PDFs" then May 12, and then page 3.

Anyone else wondering what everyone is complaining about?
were the projects included in this? honestly?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-14-2008, 03:33 PM

^^

I ♥ Affordable Housing, word up! lol

Old 05-14-2008, 03:45 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
^^

I ♥ Affordable Housing, word up! lol
Of course, this same question was asked on the first page of the thread.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:54 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,001,453 times
I dunno what else is there to say about the abysmally low rents in this city. I think people do complain that they are somehow getting "cheated" and "life is not fair" because they don't have the Sex and the City lifestyle on the Good Times salary. There is no sympathy here for anyone that believes rents are outrageous in this city...if you want to live in Central park west,..you are gonna pay for it...but there are numerous other areas on this city that are downright cheap for anywhere in the country..let alone NYC...but they "deserve" something that their pocket books cannot afford.

In Mott Haven, my tenants pay $1,250 for a 2 bedroom, with central heat (no old rattling, screeching radiators, and you can easily add central air), windowed bathroom, 9 or 10 foot ceilings, walk-in closet, separate dining room, and of course, the priviledge of living near me! If that is not affordable..then you really she pack up and head to a double-wide in West Virginia...Hillary Country!

Old 05-14-2008, 04:55 PM

^^
Can I rent from you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City