Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 10:00 AM

8,943 posts, read 4,791,717 times

Advertisements

https://ny.chalkbeat.org/2021/5/11/2...21-integration

More than 66,000 New York City fifth graders found out Tuesday where they got into middle school after going through an admissions process unlike any year.

For the first time, the city dropped academic screens at all middle schools. Integration advocates had long called for such changes, but Mayor Bill de Blasio hesitated until the pandemic forced his hand. He paused academic admissions screens at middle schools this year, as some of the measures used — including grades, test scores, attendance, student interviews, and auditions for performing arts programs — were upended since the coronavirus swept through the city last March.

Removing screens moved the needle a bit when it came to economically disadvantaged students going to highly selective school programs, according to the admissions data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 01:02 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,291,798 times
https://ny.chalkbeat.org/2021/5/11/2...21-integration

Of the 66,516 fifth-graders who applied for middle school, 89% percent of them received one of their top three choices, compared to 87% last year, according to education department figures.

Changes could be in store again. Just over 60% of students are still learning remotely full-time. Not only were these students not required to go into school buildings to take state tests this year, but also in-person students had to opt in to the exams. That may mean significantly fewer children are taking this year’s tests.

Some small changes.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:57 AM

37,282 posts, read 39,605,795 times
I wonder how strongly tied to location / ease of getting to school these top 3 selections are. I know a few people who went to Stuyvesant High School mostly in the 00s who took some pretty long commutes in high school, but maybe those were fairly abnormal cases for a very singular school--plus it was high school where perhaps people are more comfortable with their kids commuting on their own.

Old 05-16-2021, 11:23 AM

17 posts, read 6,970 times
What’s increasingly gonna happen is you’ll get 6th grade kids scoring in the 98th percentile on math tests sitting in the same class as kids who can’t add single digits in their head and don’t understand how to write a full sentence. Things are gonna get a lil awkward...

Old 05-16-2021, 03:20 PM

1,399 posts, read 894,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legocreator View Post
What’s increasingly gonna happen is you’ll get 6th grade kids scoring in the 98th percentile on math tests sitting in the same class as kids who can’t add single digits in their head and don’t understand how to write a full sentence. Things are gonna get a lil awkward...
Can't get worse than the current brainwashing kids receive so the way I see it is bring on the change.

Old 05-16-2021, 07:23 PM

565 posts, read 363,509 times
No matter how hard you dump African American and Hispanic students on majority Asian/White or bi racial schools, never gonna make a damn difference in short or long term performance.

Sorry to say folks, genetics is a real thing. Ya hear? There be a reason most brain surgeons be of one background while most NFL/NBA players be of another background. And why Messi, Pele and Maradona were of a given background vs. the top students at MIT.

Let's stop the nonsense ya'll.

Old 05-16-2021, 07:29 PM

34,169 posts, read 47,427,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
No matter how hard you dump African American and Hispanic students on majority Asian/White or bi racial schools, never gonna make a damn difference in short or long term performance.

Sorry to say folks, genetics is a real thing. Ya hear? There be a reason most brain surgeons be of one background while most NFL/NBA players be of another background. And why Messi, Pele and Maradona were of a given background vs. the top students at MIT.

Let's stop the nonsense ya'll.
So I guess if you ever have to go to the ER you're going to request on the stretcher for a certain genetic make-up to attend to you

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-16-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So I guess if you ever have to go to the ER you're going to request on the stretcher for a certain genetic make-up to attend to you
I normally don't respond to idiotic questions but I will entertain this one.

ER? No. There's no time.

Surgery and/or when choosing doctors? Hell yea! And I have and will always continue to do so. Ya'll crazy if ya'll arent. But hey, don't ask me...just ask a doctor if your friends with any. I am.

Old 05-16-2021, 10:00 PM

34,169 posts, read 47,427,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
I normally don't respond to idiotic questions but I will entertain this one.

ER? No. There's no time.

Surgery and/or when choosing doctors? Hell yea! And I have and will always continue to do so. Ya'll crazy if ya'll arent. But hey, don't ask me...just ask a doctor if your friends with any. I am.
Exactly, there's no time

So, what would you do? Sue the hospital when you found out?

I don't understand why people who think like this just don't go find a more homogenous place to exist

Your energy is so negative on here

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-17-2021, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Exactly, there's no time

So, what would you do? Sue the hospital when you found out?

I don't understand why people who think like this just don't go find a more homogenous place to exist

Your energy is so negative on here
My energy? I'm some dude that is giving his honest opinion behind a computer. We're not working in some office together. I gave a candid response, shared by many, to the OP. Sorry you don't like it or agree. Or if it doesn't support some liberal agenda you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: