Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 07:57 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times

Advertisements

The sky is falling! ...not.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/03/report...y-exaggerated/

If you read most click-bait headlines, the Big Apple residential property scene appears on the brink of collapse. A record 67,300 rental units are vacant! Sixty percent of available new condo units remain unsold! The number of empty rentals in Manhattan is now 4.3 percent — the highest it’s been in 14 years!

A few have fled to the suburbs, buying homes sight unseen, telling real-estate brokers, “I’ll take whatever you’ve got.” One recent story even claimed that New Yorkers are fleeing the city for Philadelphia. Based on net migration from February to September, 3,750 people have left the Big Apple for Philly, leaving approximately 8,319,590 of us behind. The exodus will imperil developers’ and landlords’ ability to stay afloat, which in turn threatens tax revenue on which the city depends!

It’s time for a reality check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2020, 08:31 AM

1,399 posts, read 892,048 times
Real estate is a lagging indicator. Took 3 years after the last crash for the bottom to hit

Old 10-04-2020, 10:15 AM

2,316 posts, read 1,152,710 times
The trend so far seems to be falling prices of high-end Manhattan condos but a more stable outer-borough housing market. A new fully-detached 2-family house near my house on the east shore of SI was just purchased for $1,07M. And this was just your plain 2-family home. A smaller detached new 2-family home right across from S.I. Tech HS went for $960K in May of this year.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M42526-39605

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M95959-97571

Old 10-04-2020, 10:21 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
It seems like no one is moving back to Midtown/Downtown though. My company has three residential buildings, and are all a little under half vacant. Granted we are heading into the slow fall/winter season.

Old 10-04-2020, 10:50 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
A family friend passed away during COVID in Manhattan (it will take months to confirm if it was due to COVID or something else) and his midtown apartment is valued less now than when he bought it years ago. Prestige or undervalued properties might be selling now but in general things are soft.

Old 10-04-2020, 10:57 AM

2,316 posts, read 1,152,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
It seems like no one is moving back to Midtown/Downtown though. My company has three residential buildings, and are all a little under half vacant. Granted we are heading into the slow fall/winter season.
I wonder how much of that is covid-19, and how much is NYC's skyrocketing crime rate and massive decline in quality of life??

Old 10-04-2020, 11:54 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
A family friend passed away during COVID in Manhattan (it will take months to confirm if it was due to COVID or something else) and his midtown apartment is valued less now than when he bought it years ago. Prestige or undervalued properties might be selling now but in general things are soft.
Lol things are soft.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-04-2020, 02:26 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
The sky is falling! ...not.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/03/report...y-exaggerated/

If you read most click-bait headlines, the Big Apple residential property scene appears on the brink of collapse. A record 67,300 rental units are vacant! Sixty percent of available new condo units remain unsold! The number of empty rentals in Manhattan is now 4.3 percent — the highest it’s been in 14 years!

A few have fled to the suburbs, buying homes sight unseen, telling real-estate brokers, “I’ll take whatever you’ve got.” One recent story even claimed that New Yorkers are fleeing the city for Philadelphia. Based on net migration from February to September, 3,750 people have left the Big Apple for Philly, leaving approximately 8,319,590 of us behind. The exodus will imperil developers’ and landlords’ ability to stay afloat, which in turn threatens tax revenue on which the city depends!

It’s time for a reality check.
I love it. The Post itself has pushed more NYC real estate market has crashed/is crashing stories than any other publication that I have seen. And now suddenly they are reversing course and contradicting their own reporting.
What a joke.

Old 10-04-2020, 02:30 PM

644 posts, read 307,490 times
I saw that article too! Who are these people who are all over real estate in Brooklyn????? They do say there's a sucker born every minute...

Old 10-04-2020, 08:10 PM

596 posts, read 253,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I love it. The Post itself has pushed more NYC real estate market has crashed/is crashing stories than any other publication that I have seen. And now suddenly they are reversing course and contradicting their own reporting.
What a joke.
hes cherry picking the data residential is diff. and is typically "recession" proof. Push come to shove just sell the property.

Most commercial real estate is financed via debt. Retail getting slaughtered. Offices might be next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: