Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 01:02 PM

874 posts, read 734,713 times

Advertisements

how is it legal to set requirements and then when you meet the requirements, not allow a region to enter the next phase, until "until the facts change"

this has gone way beyond just flattening the curve

https://www.newsday.com/news/health/...nts-1.46277995

New York City won’t permit indoor dining to resume next week as had been expected, the state and city governments said Wednesday, with Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo saying the decision to reopen restaurants will be postponed "until the facts change and it is prudent to open."

"We have to stay ahead of the virus," said Cuomo, particularly pointing to New York City as an area of concern. "Citizen compliance is slipping. That is a fact. That is a fact. Look at pictures. Look at any street in Manhattan … Go to Queens, go to the Bronx … Citizen compliance is slipping."

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio had made the indoor dining announcement earlier Wednesday, citing concerns about the rising viral spread around the country becoming "shockingly worse."

“We know a lot of other parts of this country very sadly made decisions based on something other than the data, in the heat of the moment," de Blasio said. "Now what we’re seeing in Florida, what we’re seeing in Texas, even California that tried really hard to get it right, flipping backwards, we see a lot of problems, and we particularly see problems with people going back to bars and restaurants indoors, and indoors is the problem more and more. The science is showing it more and more.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 01:19 PM

19,153 posts, read 14,185,356 times
None of this was legal to begin with. Regardless of the original intention, it's clearly now about one goal, and that goal won't be achieved until November. Cuomo has no intention of letting go of the mass population control he currently wields until that goal comes to pass.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-01-2020, 01:35 PM

295 posts, read 284,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
how is it legal to set requirements and then when you meet the requirements, not allow a region to enter the next phase, until "until the facts change"
IANAL but I doubt any make-it-up-as-we-go-along reopening plans are legally binding. Give people an inch and they’ll take a mile so they’re dialing it back.

IMO If we get a significant enough increase in cases in the next month or so they’ll write off whatever’s left of the coming school year and we’ll have more of this crappy remote learning.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:44 PM

32,311 posts, read 27,529,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
None of this was legal to begin with. Regardless of the original intention, it's clearly now about one goal, and that goal won't be achieved until November. Cuomo has no intention of letting go of the mass population control he currently wields until that goal comes to pass.
Exactly!

Il Duce gets his rocks being in control; and is going to milk this covid-19 thing out until 2021 or 2022 if possible.

Again grab the wife and kids and make tracks....

Old 07-01-2020, 01:49 PM

5,821 posts, read 2,732,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
What I'm worried about is what happens when Trump wins. Not what will Trump do but What is AC and BB going to do to us then?

Old 07-01-2020, 02:46 PM

30,795 posts, read 18,582,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
What I'm worried about is what happens when Trump wins. Not what will Trump do but What is AC and BB going to do to us then?
Hopefully they'll make good on leftist promises and flee to Canada

Old 07-01-2020, 04:00 PM

37,481 posts, read 39,956,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Exactly!

Il Duce gets his rocks being in control; and is going to milk this covid-19 thing out until 2021 or 2022 if possible.

Again grab the wife and kids and make tracks....
Make tracks to where? Out of the US and quarantine for two weeks? Maybe out to a farmstead where you mostly don't see anyone, and when you do, those people also almost never see anyone either? That would seem counter to gripes about not being able to go to restaurants and events and such, no?

There are other states that are closing back down. The best thing NYS can do is track how they are doing and what their misstep were in terms of having to close back down includes red states where their state governments also seemed to have thought this pandemic was making some political calculations. Guess what, knuckleheads? The virus apparently isn't running on a major party platform.

This city heavily relies on tourism money. If we can't figure out how to avoid and control flare-ups without federal support (which has abrogated much of its responsibility even though it is best equipped to deal with the pandemic), then even as if we were to open up we'd have a much reduced consumer base. It's simple economics here, but unfortunately the people are even simpler.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-01-2020 at 04:10 PM..

Old 07-01-2020, 04:16 PM

874 posts, read 734,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The best thing NYS can do is track how they are doing and what their misstep were in terms of having to close back down includes red states where their state governments also seemed to have thought this pandemic was making some political calculations. Guess what, knuckleheads? The virus apparently isn't running on a major party platform.
we flatten the curve, we met the extremely strict metrics. now, because of reported cases, which are not even in NY state we cant move forward. cuomo basically threw out the metrics requirements, and said NY wont open, the kids wont go to school, nothing will happen until the facts change. hello, knuckle head, we just spend the last 6 weeks meeting requirements to go back to normal, and now we cant? explain how this isnt a dictatorship now? the rule of law has been completely thrown out the window. all I hear is I am king cuomo, and you cant open your business until I say you can, there will be no relief for your rent and mortgage payments, and thats just the way it is

Last edited by broke&30; 07-01-2020 at 04:25 PM..

Old 07-01-2020, 04:24 PM

37,481 posts, read 39,956,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
we flatten the curve, we met the extremely strict metrics. now, because of "reported cases", which are not even in NY state we cant move forward. cuomo basically threw out the metrics requirements, and said NY wont open, the kids wont go to school, nothing will happen until the facts change. hello, knuckle head, we just spend the last 6 weeks meeting requirements to go back to normal, and now we cant? explain how this isnt a dictatorship now? the rule of law has been completely thrown out the window.
I'm sure there are people making constitutional challenges on whether or not what's being done is legal--just as I'm sure you have no idea whether or not it's actually technically true. I don't know how you're defining dictatorship, but I do think calling what we have now a dictatorship is a pretty low bar. Besides, there are countries that I would more likely consider dictatorships, like China, that have arguably later on mounted a better unified federal response to the pandemic which has made it so people can pretty safely do things like eat indoors in restaurants together without fear of rampant unchecked community spread that would necessitate a far-reaching lockdown.

Has the lockdown loosened where you are? I'm in NYC, and I would say yes it has. I would also say that it seems true that the rapid pace of opening up in places that weren't initially so heavily hit is turning out to have been a poor decision as we're seeing in Arizona, California, Florida, and Texas right now. If it's apparent that opening up too quickly just means we go back on the curve quickly and then have to lockdown completely again, then the full lockdown we did back then ends up being of more limited value. I think there are certain things that don't require a huge amount of funding or have pretty decent anecdotal evidence from other countries and cities for loosening of restrictions that NYC can probably adopt, but the pace of easing into an opening is, to me, a much more economically sound choice than to accidentally open too quickly and jump right back into an extent of community spread that would require going back to a full lockdown.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-01-2020 at 04:45 PM..

Old 07-01-2020, 04:59 PM

20,548 posts, read 17,888,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
You basically answered why Trump should win and will because liberals need Trump. They need a reason to complain and blame. When Obama was Prez, the media silenced most complaints against him. He had so many corrupt politicians worked for him and never get indicted for their crimes. While any of Trump's associates does even the smallest extortion gets thrown in jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: