Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 07:30 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,144,336 times

Advertisements

Imagine traveling at this time LOL

Yeah no take the money hit stay home. **** changes by the hour. By next week you're going to see a country wide lockdown at this rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2020, 08:17 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
If the weather is nice, it should be pretty lively still. Locals are still going out to eat and drink
Yeah but you never know when they will put a stop to that. Italy doesn't want people out after dusk.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:58 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Inbound flights from Europe have been banned for those residents. About to get even more quiet in Manhattan.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:05 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
It was crowded on the streets of Chelsea tonight, and extremely crowded in the Trader Joes. I also went to TJ Maxx and the line to check out seemed pretty short, so I guess maybe people are out stocking up on food only (hence long lines in Trader Joes)

With the way things are being closed one after the other day by day, I wouldn't expect to have a seamless vacation in Manhattan. Sure, I think restaurants will still be open (I am not imaging the Italy situation of all restaurants closing would happen here but I guess you never know). Also, outdoor places like Central Park, the Highline, etc. will still be available of course. And I don't imagine public transit shutting down but I suppose that's not totally out of the question either, depending on how things get.

I think I would cancel any vacation in the next 8 weeks and try again for the following year. Why spend all your money/resources on a vacation that seems like it could be set up for failure.

btw, anyone who wants a real time view of what's happening in NYC/Times square can google Times square earth cam and see everything real time.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:31 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,708,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
It was crowded on the streets of Chelsea tonight, and extremely crowded in the Trader Joes. I also went to TJ Maxx and the line to check out seemed pretty short, so I guess maybe people are out stocking up on food only (hence long lines in Trader Joes)

With the way things are being closed one after the other day by day, I wouldn't expect to have a seamless vacation in Manhattan. Sure, I think restaurants will still be open (I am not imaging the Italy situation of all restaurants closing would happen here but I guess you never know). Also, outdoor places like Central Park, the Highline, etc. will still be available of course. And I don't imagine public transit shutting down but I suppose that's not totally out of the question either, depending on how things get.

I think I would cancel any vacation in the next 8 weeks and try again for the following year. Why spend all your money/resources on a vacation that seems like it could be set up for failure.

btw, anyone who wants a real time view of what's happening in NYC/Times square can google Times square earth cam and see everything real time.
Damn - it would be such a bummer to cancel this trip. I haven’t been to NYC since 2004 and my wife has never been there. This has been planned for almost 2 years as a trip to celebrate my 40th birthday. We have three young kids who we love traveling with, but this would have been the first “adult†(as in, able to stay out late, go to bars, sleep in, etc.) trip my wife and I would have taken together in 6 years. We have a room booked at the Ludlow Hotel in the LES.

That said, obviously if the city is some weird, muted version of itself, things aren’t open, and We’re putting ourselves and others at risk - then I guess we have to cancel. I think we’re gonna wait and feel it out to see what the situation is like in two weeks. Maybe things will settle down a bit.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:37 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times
Waiting for the next thread in a couple weeks. "I should have stayed home, not work getting sick traveling to NY"

Old 03-11-2020, 10:39 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
I have friends who commute in from NJ and they were told to work from home. That explains part of the less crowded subways. Restaurants will close if they can't cover their overhead - or get food deliveries.

Old 03-12-2020, 04:53 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
We've had this trip planned for a year and have babysitting and time off work set up, etc. so it would be very difficult to postpone in the immediate future.

I know a lot can change with COVID-19 in the next 2 weeks, but I guess I'm curious to get a sense of what the vibe in the city is like right now. Are museums, restaurants, bars, etc. generally open? Are people staying home or does it still feel like a vibrant bustling city (that's one of the things I love most about NYC - the energy)?

Any reports from on the ground would be much appreciated! Thanks,
Opinion:
Media has a reputation of amplifying anything ....good or bad.
Notice a smaller presence of people.
As a native I find this welcoming.
More room to breathe.
You will be moving about more freely.
If you are not a New Yorker it will still seem very crowded.
Go about your business. Life is usual.
Just add a little more caution.
Keep distance from people in general.
Carry wipes and most importantly do not touch your face.
New York is fun,expensive and memorable.
Best Wishes.

P.S. Although part of the vulnerable population will not let fears impede my daily life.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:26 AM

1,107 posts, read 552,008 times
The atmosphere is a lot more subdued than usual. NYC doesn't have the same electric feel right now, and it will likely get worse before it gets better, but it is definitely still open! NYC hospitality would welcome your business with open arms, and you could probably get lower prices, hotel upgrades (suite instead of a room, maybe?), and great service now. I know that Broadway is offering steep discounts on many shows, tickets as low as $50, which is a good deal. So, there is good and bad about coming here now. It all depends on what you and your wife were hoping to experience.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Old 03-12-2020, 08:52 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Downtown still feels busy to me

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City