Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 07:08 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I never said drive. I suggested biking, walking, anything to avoid getting into a tin can with the random filth of this city. Drop the “privilege” act. If anything, this virus has proved how stupid constantly harping on such nonsense is. It is affecting all of us, rich or poor, and killing indiscriminately. It’s not my fault that the poor make bad choices, even in the midst of a pandemic when all of the important information has been given to them.

NYC is the epicenter because the MTA hasn’t been shut down. Period. Change my mind. NY’s leftist overlords’ fixation on racial politics is why it’s still running and why we’re in this mess far worse than other comparably dense cities around the world that have dealt with the virus.
I think in some sense that’s true, but it’s not mass transit or subways in general that are the issue. Seoul has a more extensive mass transit system, and Busan, Berlin, Taipei and Singapore also have extensive mass transit systems that are all highly used and continue to be highly used. All of these places are dealing with the pandemic, but have dealt with it as cities and countries far better than NYC and the US has thus far. In that sense, it doesn’t appear that the virus is anathema to density and mass transit by themselves, but are dangers in the context of other factors.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:20 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think in some sense that’s true, but it’s not mass transit or subways in general that are the issue. Seoul has a more extensive mass transit system, and Busan, Berlin, Taipei and Singapore also have extensive mass transit systems that are all highly used and continue to be highly used. All of these places are dealing with the pandemic, but have dealt with it as cities and countries far better than NYC and the US has thus far. In that sense, it doesn’t appear that the virus is anathema to density and mass transit by themselves, but are dangers in the context of other factors.
I think it's heavily MTA specific. My last train ride to and from work was disgusting. Nobody covered their mouths, sniffles everywhere, and my girlfriend actually spent time counting every single person that seemed sick. To say the least, we did not touch a single rail. I regret not working from home that day as I worked from home the prior two weeks. Somehow we didn't get sick though, definitely dodged a bullet there.

And the fact that they only started to power wash the cars every 3 days at the time. When the Port Authority head tested positive, it was very sad irony.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:45 AM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I never said drive. I suggested biking, walking, anything to avoid getting into a tin can with the random filth of this city. Drop the “privilege” act. If anything, this virus has proved how stupid constantly harping on such nonsense is. It is affecting all of us, rich or poor, and killing indiscriminately. It’s not my fault that the poor make bad choices, even in the midst of a pandemic when all of the important information has been given to them.

NYC is the epicenter because the MTA hasn’t been shut down. Period. Change my mind. NY’s leftist overlords’ fixation on racial politics is why it’s still running and why we’re in this mess far worse than other comparably dense cities around the world that have dealt with the virus.
The great thing about the Coronavirus is that it ended the racial sexist identity politics that proliferated around the media and the academia in the past 5 years. Also the coronavirus will bring people together of opposing views and identity.

Old 04-05-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I think it's heavily MTA specific. My last train ride to and from work was disgusting. Nobody covered their mouths, sniffles everywhere, and my girlfriend actually spent time counting every single person that seemed sick. To say the least, we did not touch a single rail. I regret not working from home that day as I worked from home the prior two weeks. Somehow we didn't get sick though, definitely dodged a bullet there.

And the fact that they only started to power wash the cars every 3 days at the time. When the Port Authority head tested positive, it was very sad irony.
Yea, I think the one good thing is that before this pandemic, MTA and the city had ramped up telling people to sneeze into their elbows. I remember being surprised that they were being proactive, but there's also plenty of other issues they weren't addressing.

Old 04-05-2020, 08:35 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,234,555 times
Where is the hand sanitizer made in jail Cuomo promised us?

Old 04-05-2020, 08:51 AM

Anyone with kids in NYC public schools? How are these online classes being conducted?

Old 04-05-2020, 08:54 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Where is the hand sanitizer made in jail Cuomo promised us?
Unfortunately the press hyped this when they shouldn't have. Some articles got it right -- the sanitizer was never intended to end up available to you and me; it was only for wholesale to institutions.

Old 04-05-2020, 08:56 AM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
Quote:
Anyone with kids in NYC public schools? How are these online classes being conducted?
According to data. Half of the nation's children dont have high speed internet at home. I actually know a woman friend that uses her iPhone as a Hotspot so that her 2 kids can use internet for school. The video on zoom lags and can not support the bandwith of crappy cell towers in the neighborhood of Mt eden.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:01 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
According to data. Half of the nation's children dont have high speed internet at home. I actually know a woman friend that uses her iPhone as a Hotspot so that her 2 kids can use internet for school. The video on zoom lags and can not support the bandwith of crappy cell towers in the neighborhood of Mt eden.
The parents are going to have to get high speed internet as a lot of functions will move entirely online.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:05 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Quote:
Can you be more specific? My kids are all in public schools. Two different schools, handling it two different ways. Two of mine are actually attending a first responder school site that is open.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City