Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 03:03 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,954 times

Advertisements

This topic is to consider worst or bad situation scenarios.
8 million people here most in apartment buildings.
There is a point at which if there are a certain amount of cases they'll quarantine the city.

America is a service economy but China is much more manufacturing based.

So retail could be hit especially hard.

So if Wuhan already had a culture of people wearing face masks and they have a nationalized police state

can we expect to manage it better than they are?

And is it safer upstate somewhere (and also considering case can pop up anywhere) but much less population density in other places.

Old 03-07-2020, 03:44 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Follow the same plan for a severe flu season. For starters-wash your hands. 20 seconds at least with soap and water. Try to avoid anyone who seems sick. Dont sit on your sofa or lie on your bed with the same clothes you sat on the subway with (probably should do this anyway without a viral outbreak) Try as hard as you can to not touch your face or hair outside.

Thats all there is we can do. Running to a bunker in the forest or going to the office in a hazmat suit is not reality.
Theres enough stress in life, how much more do we need?

Maybe the warm weather slows this thing down dramatically like some are saying.

Old 03-07-2020, 04:11 PM

323 posts, read 199,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Are you sure this is proven?
There has been cases of this happening. Here is an article for you:
Title Of Article if you have adblocker and don't want to unblock the Business Insider:

People can get the coronavirus more than once, experts warn — recovering does not necessarily make you immune

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuha...fection-2020-2

"Most patients seem to make full recoveries, but people who've recovered could still get the virus again in the future".

"People who have gotten the new coronavirus and recovered can get it again in the future, health authorities say — the body does not become immune after infection".

"On Wednesday, Japanese authorities reported the first confirmed case of reinfection. A tour guide in Osaka first tested positive for the coronavirus in late January, then was discharged from the hospital three weeks ago after showing signs of recovery. But she returned to the hospital after developing a sore throat and chest pain and tested positive for the coronavirus once again".

These facts above are eye opening. When I was a little kid in the 1970's mothers used to have chicken pox and measles parties so their kids would catch these diseases and become immune. My own mother sent me over to a friend's house who had chicken pox along with all of her brothers. Not long after that she sent me to another diseased house that had kids suffering from the measles. That was so stupid back then and in my opinion child abuse. Glad whatever vaccines they gave me worked or my immune system was working well because thankfully I didn't catch any of those diseases even though I played Barbie's with all of the kids while they were sick. Does anyone know if parents still do this to their kids? Maybe my mother was trying to kill me, lol

Last edited by dk1111; 03-07-2020 at 04:39 PM..

Old 03-07-2020, 04:13 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,301,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1111 View Post
There has been cases of this happening. Here is an article for you:
https://www.businessinsider.com/wuha...fection-2020-2
Its BS....that was from 5 weeks ago and virtually every CDC expert has said they believe its simply people testing false negative and being released too early. The human immune system provides minimum 6-12 months immunity on any virus and a re-infection usually is less or asymptomatic.

Old 03-07-2020, 04:17 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,053 times
[quote=D. Dont sit on your sofa or lie on your bed with the same clothes you sat on the subway with (probably should do this anyway without a viral outbreak) [/QUOTE]

Uh, people do this? Sounds disgusting.

Old 03-07-2020, 04:43 PM

1,034 posts, read 673,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Uh, people do this? Sounds disgusting.
People do all kinds of things they shouldn’t. Like use a cell phone in the bathroom. Some do is shamelessly, playing videos or music. There’s no off button for certain demographics.

Old 03-07-2020, 04:49 PM

323 posts, read 199,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
Its BS....that was from 5 weeks ago and virtually every CDC expert has said they believe its simply people testing false negative and being released too early. The human immune system provides minimum 6-12 months immunity on any virus and a re-infection usually is less or asymptomatic.
You trust the CDC? I have a bridge to sell you then. As a matter of fact I truly don't trust any of these "health experts" because this is a brand new disease that they know very little about. I choose to err on the side of caution and believe this disease is not like any other that we have seen in a very long time. When Aids and HIV first came out you had choices to avoid catching it. No gay sex or dirty needles. This one has no way to really avoid it unless you stay away from others as much as you can and it still seems to spread like crazy.

America hasn't dealt with this virus for as long as some of these other nations doing these studies so we know far less about it and how to treat it. All the so called "experts" are just winging it. We should have prepared for it as soon as China was lying about the amount of cases it had. Now we are sitting on our thumbs and not even testing people basically until they are in ICU rooms in the hospital. We had ample warning and the US dropped the ball on this one. Democrats and Republicans can point the fingers at each other all they want and blame each other, but both parties are doing didly squat to lower the spread of this.

Old 03-07-2020, 05:37 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,500 times
I'm not worried about being mogged by the coronavirus. I just hope everything dies down soon because I have to travel to England and France for work and pleasure next month.

Old 03-07-2020, 05:40 PM

874 posts, read 454,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
the chinese believe that this new virus was from a bio-weapon dumped on them by the US...
so you cannot blame them for this disease that they didn't breed this time......

". . .you cannot blame them for this disease that they didn't breed this time. . ."

Old 03-07-2020, 05:52 PM

874 posts, read 454,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1111 View Post
I agree with you 100%. Of course you have every right to be fearful of being near
Chinese people until this blows over. We aren't even ordering Chinese food right
now in my house. It all started in China, but they will call people like us racists.
Actually, now that Italy has a huge amount of cases, I am telling my Italian American
family to stay away from Italians or people that recently traveled to and from Italy.
We will be making our own Pizza in my house for now. We need an Italy and Iran
ban right now as well. In my opinion we need to ban all air travel from other
countries until the threat of the virus is over. I guess most others reading this
will think that is racist too

"...I am telling my Italian American family to stay away from Italians..."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.