Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 09:01 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
This should have been done from the get go. The US had China to learn from and don't tell me that they didn't know this was going on months ago. You don't wait until the sh** hits the ceiling fan to act. You enact preventative measures as soon as possible instead of saying, "Oh, it's a hoax." You also don't tell the people that "the US will be open for business by the end of Easter" until the pandemic is dealt with. The fact that you are congratulating the occupier in office is beyond me.
See, you lose credibility when you repeat falsehoods. President Trump did not call the virus a hoax, but rather specifically referred to the Democrats' response to things at the time. This has been debunked far too many times to count.

In terms of getting things done, we are right on target with things today. NYS saying that they need 30,000 ventilators does not mean they need 30,000 ventilators right this instance. Can't be as there is only a small fraction of coronavirus hospitalizations in NYS to begin with today. New York and the US has fewer hospital beds per capita than some other countries and cities, but that's an irrelevant statistical point if our infection rate and hospitalization rate doesn't match other countries and cities.

Preventative measures via CDC guidelines were released on February 7, a little over a week after President Trump formed the coronavirus task force. Maybe you should talk to de Blasio and his health commissioner who were calling President Trump's decision to close off flights to China as xenophobic and racist, while simultaneously advocating for everyone to keep taking the subway, attend Chinese New Year parades, etc. This happened AFTER President Trump closed off flights to China.

You should talk to de Blasio and Cuomo who decided to shut down the city and close schools way too late.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:01 PM

37,140 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Seriously? The Javits Center and other sites throughout the city and country are being turned into mega, makeshift hospitals, being built in part or in full by the National Guard, which is on federal spending orders thanks to an order signed by the president.

The US Navy is sending two hospital ships (one is on station) with a capacity of 2,000 beds, which will allows localities to focus more on coronavirus cases as other cases are treated on the hospital ships. The army is supplying assistance as well.

4,000 additional ventilators were just delivered to NYC today, alone.

Thanks to the president's call for private businesses to step up (so the president does not have to nationalize them under the law to engage in certain production), Tesla, GM, and others have already started producing ventilators. Tesla has already delivered 1,000 ventilators to California and has 12,000 more on the way. Tesla is also about to reopen its Buffalo gigafactory to make ventilators for NY specifically.

The response has been far from just economic. But an economic response is important as well as it'll allow people to take care of themselves and prevent our economy from collapsing, which would only exacerbate the situation.
I guess we're glad that at least some effort is being put into this? This was a pretty massive bungling in terms of preparedness and early response, but hopefully things get turned around soonish.

Also, the navy ships are quite possibly a bad idea. Shipping supplies is good, but don't floating hospitals with narrow corridors in the midst of a pandemic when it's sometimes hard to guess who is a carrier seems kind of wild to anyone else?

Old 03-25-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blistex649 View Post
Now really, is it that bad in the city or media as the media is making it out to be?
Things are fine, everything's cool.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I guess we're glad that at least some effort is being put into this? This was a pretty massive bungling and so it's nice that at least small bits of things are happening.

Also, the navy ships are quite possibly a bad idea. Shipping supplies is good, but don't floating hospitals with narrow corridors in the midst of a pandemic when it's sometimes hard to guess who is a carrier seems kind of wild to anyone else?
I don't know if I'd say Navy ships are a bad idea. These are specially built hospital ships with multiple isolation wards. But they aren't being used to treat coronavirus patients (that doesn't mean they won't get any), but that's only because Navy doctors are trained more so for trauma than pandemic response. Rather, they are being used to treat trauma and other patients, so NY (and CA) doctors can focus more on coronavirus response. When the USNS Comfort finally gets to NYC, you should take a drive by to get an idea of its massive size.

Here is a video tour of the Comfort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxfCY6SaU0k

Old 03-25-2020, 09:05 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times
Quote:
See, you lose credibility when you repeat falsehoods. President Trump did not call the virus a hoax, but rather specifically referred to the Democrats' response to things at the time. This has been debunked far too many times to count.

In terms of getting things done, we are right on target with things today. NYS saying that they need 30,000 ventilators does not mean they need 30,000 ventilators right this instance. Can't be as there is only a small fraction of coronavirus hospitalizations in NYS to begin with today. New York and the US has fewer hospital beds per capita than some other countries and cities, but that's an irrelevant statistical point if our infection rate and hospitalization rate doesn't match other countries and cities.

Preventative measures via CDC guidelines were released on February 7, a little over a week after President Trump formed the coronavirus task force. Maybe you should talk to de Blasio and his health commissioner who were calling President Trump's decision to close off flights to China as xenophobic and racist, while simultaneously advocating for everyone to keep taking the subway, attend Chinese New Year parades, etc. This happened AFTER President Trump closed off flights to China.

You should talk to de Blasio and Cuomo who decided to shut down the city and close schools way too late.

Okay. I feel like I'm wasting time here. I know people who are in the health care industry in NYC and they don't even have PPE. We are NOT on target with things today.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:07 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,969,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Who is this directed towards?

people who cannot or refuse to appreciate or sympathize with fellow citizens who are suffering from the covid epidemic...and people who think it is only natural to lose a couple of thousands of Americans to covid (like the potus) and insist on keeping business going as usual...

Old 03-25-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I don't know if I'd say Navy ships are a bad idea. These are specially built hospital ships with multiple isolation wards. But they aren't being used to treat coronavirus patients (that doesn't mean they won't get any), but that's only because Navy doctors are trained more so for trauma than pandemic response. Rather, they are being used to treat trauma and other patients, so NY (and CA) doctors can focus more on coronavirus response. When the USNS Comfort finally gets to NYC, you should take a drive by to get an idea of its massive size.
Yes, I understand what they're intended for which is why I think the idea is kind of questionable. They intend to treat trauma patients and are set up for that, but the larger problem of lack of testing means that it's a little bit dicey in terms of accidentally allowing in someone who is a carrier in a setting that may be very ill-suited to dealing with an outbreak. Hopefully that's not true and they have ample testing for anyone who comes onboard every time they come on board.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Okay. I feel like I'm wasting time here. I know people who are in the health care industry in NYC and they don't even have PPE. We are NOT on target with things today.
After de Blasio and Cuomo delayed placing critical orders until a few weeks ago. After de Blasio's health commissioner was encouraging people to congregate together (to include at Chinese New Year's parades in Chinatown) and go on about their business, despite CDC guidance and despite President Trump closing off flights to China. Your anger seems misplaced. Yes, I agree we are wasting time here.

Some anecdotal cases of people not having PPE doesn't mean we do not have enough in supply.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes, I understand what they're intended for which is why I think the idea is kind of questionable. They intend to treat trauma patients and are set up for that, but the larger problem of lack of testing means that it's a little bit dicey in terms of accidentally allowing in someone who is a carrier in a setting that may be very ill-suited to dealing with an outbreak. Hopefully that's not true and they have ample testing for anyone who comes onboard every time they come on board.
They should have adequate testing, as do regular naval warfare ships that are deployed. The set up of the ships mirror many a standalone hospital. Here is a video tour (I posted the video after you responded):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxfCY6SaU0k

Old 03-25-2020, 09:10 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
1.5% death rate nationwide

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.