Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 01:27 PM

6,685 posts, read 6,029,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
The Crown Heights Riot 1991.

A young Guyanese child was killed instantly in an terrible automobile accident by a jewish man who ran a red light.
African Americans and other angry supporters rioted for a few days in Crown Heights targeting Jewish owned
business,homes,cars and eventually the murder of a Jewish man that had nothing to do with the auto accident.

I remember this riot all to well.
Al Sharpton a very outspoken African American civil right activist as well as others in my opinion helped fuel
the flames that led up to the powder keg Crown Height Riots. ( This is the short version and my opinion ).
July 1991 a month before the riots Leonard Jeffries of City College made a speech on Jews and the
mobs' treatment of African Americans. Alot of folks did not like hearing this. It was nasty.
Please remember, internet was not in everybody's home but Radio was and you can imagine some of the
things that were broadcast over time by others like minded leading up to this day.
August 8, 1991 one day before the tragic car accident Al Sharpton made a comment
" If the Jews want to get it on,tell them to pin their yarmulkes back and come over to my house."

What would have been treated as a tragic car accident instead turned deadly because of a certain few individuals( activists ), who over many years, were striving for an agenda to better their people instead created a slow churning toxic brew of underlying resentment that led to this horrible day.

Some of these well minded folks still hold political clout to this day.
Why?
Amazing.....Simply amazing......
I agree with you that some of these activists can sometimes make things a lot worse than they already are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 01:29 PM

16,035 posts, read 6,840,321 times
Absolutely agree there were protests but I do not remember all out riots in Howard Beach.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:49 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
In the 1860s, Irish immigrants rioted and burned down black orphanages (they were upset over the idea of being drafted to in the Civil War)

In the early 90s, there was the Crown Heights riot where the black community was upset after a Hassidic Jewish man fatally injured an Afro-Guyanese kid while driving and faced no consequences
It was only one orphanage, the Colored Orphan Asylum, although the riots lasted three days and included lynchings.

The New York Draft Riots and the burning of the Colored Orphan Asylum

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-20-2018 at 05:58 AM..

Old 06-20-2018, 05:56 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Maybe since the Crown Heights riots was concentrated in just that one area it didn't have a strong affect on the city as a whole?

I found this video on it. Someone commented that they live in Crown Heights and had never even heard of the 91 riots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HzMwrBockY
Oh, it had a strong effect. It was on the news for days. And I was in NJ.

In Living Color even did a skit called Crown Heights Story with Kim Wayans singing, "Menachem...I just met a man named Menachem..."

Old 06-20-2018, 06:38 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
The Crown Heights Riot 1991.

A young Guyanese child was killed instantly in an terrible automobile accident by a jewish man who ran a red light.
African Americans and other angry supporters rioted for a few days in Crown Heights targeting Jewish owned
business,homes,cars and eventually the murder of a Jewish man that had nothing to do with the auto accident.

I remember this riot all to well.
Al Sharpton a very outspoken African American civil right activist as well as others in my opinion helped fuel
the flames that led up to the powder keg Crown Height Riots. ( This is the short version and my opinion ).
July 1991 a month before the riots Leonard Jeffries of City College made a speech on Jews and the
mobs' treatment of African Americans. Alot of folks did not like hearing this. It was nasty.
Please remember, internet was not in everybody's home but Radio was and you can imagine some of the
things that were broadcast over time by others like minded leading up to this day.
August 8, 1991 one day before the tragic car accident Al Sharpton made a comment
" If the Jews want to get it on,tell them to pin their yarmulkes back and come over to my house."

What would have been treated as a tragic car accident instead turned deadly because of a certain few individuals( activists ), who over many years, were striving for an agenda to better their people instead created a slow churning toxic brew of underlying resentment that led to this horrible day.

Some of these well minded folks still hold political clout to this day.
Why?
Amazing.....Simply amazing......
Reportedly the police were very negligent during the Crown Heights riot and did not come in to the neighborhood to try to get things under control - until 3 days had passed!
(Supposedly the police also caused/inflamed the incident - another subject)
Jews in Crown Heights were cowering terrified in their homes for 3 days during the rioting, until an Australian hasidic Jew was murdered.
Really shameful

Old 06-20-2018, 07:00 AM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh, it had a strong effect. It was on the news for days. And I was in NJ.

In Living Color even did a skit called Crown Heights Story with Kim Wayans singing, "Menachem...I just met a man named Menachem..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFAi...&feature=share

Or this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndkQ...&feature=share

Old 06-20-2018, 07:11 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Reportedly the police were very negligent during the Crown Heights riot and did not come in to the neighborhood to try to get things under control - until 3 days had passed!
(Supposedly the police also caused/inflamed the incident - another subject)
Jews in Crown Heights were cowering terrified in their homes for 3 days during the rioting, until an Australian hasidic Jew was murdered.
Really shameful
Try again. Your idiot democrat mayor at the time ordered the police to stand down. As soon as Ray Kelly was ordered to send in the boys, the rioting was quelled.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-20-2018, 10:45 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
^ If I remember correctly, David Dinkins dragged his feet before doing anything.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:54 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Try again. Your idiot democrat mayor at the time ordered the police to stand down. As soon as Ray Kelly was ordered to send in the boys, the rioting was quelled.
Yes exactly. Dinkins was very negligent

Old 06-20-2018, 01:16 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I can't recall any big race riots in the city's history like the Watts and 1992 riots in Los Angeles. Or like the ones in Detroit,Newark etc in the late 60's. How has the city avoided these types of riots in it's history?

Is anyone surprised that the city never had a Watts type riot?
Franklin K. Lane high school on the Brooklyn/Queens border had race riots in the late 1960s/early 1970s. I believe a teacher was set on fire.

https://www.amazon.com/Race-war-high.../dp/0870001701
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City