Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 01:52 PM

264 posts, read 239,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
From my experience I rarely see this happen, because people are intimidated by black people. Usually it is assumed black people have nothing to lose and are more prone to engaging in physical violence due to their upbringing (it is acceptable to go to jail within their community). The angry black woman stereotype exist for a reason.
The bolded statement is very telling. Essentially, in your text, "black" denotes a low-income class status and not a racial group. Obviously, your statement is flawed, because those who have nothing to lose, are more often than not, low income, not necessarily black.

White Americans represent (due in part to their population size) the largest (raw) number of low income persons in the U.S., followed by Hispanics/Latinos.

NYC however is of course home to plenty of project dwellings which are primarily occupied by black Americans. This means, on average, those who reside in NYC tend to come across plenty of low income blacks, merely because low income blacks are more likely to reside in the surrounding NYC projects.

If you were to visit rural America, you would come in contact with plenty of low income white people.

I've noticed that most low income/impoverished white people tend to prefer to reside in trailer parks usually in rural locations, as opposed to major cities, while low income/impoverished blacks mainly reside in major cities. Essentially, white poverty is usually hidden from the mainstream, because it's not necessarily as blatant, as black poverty which primarily exist in the cities.

Last edited by LovelySummer2020; 05-03-2018 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 02:07 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
From my experience I rarely see this happen, because people are intimidated by black people. Usually it is assumed black people have nothing to lose and are more prone to engaging in physical violence due to their upbringing (it is acceptable to go to jail within their community). The angry black woman stereotype exist for a reason.

I usually see people get confrontational with asians because they view them as passive and not a threat for physical violence.
You're an example of a minority that likely acts in a particular manner towards blacks. I've met plenty of Hispanics that look down on blacks as if they're superior with some of the comments you've made. I'm sure you must become pissed when you see a black that doesn't fit the stereotype that you have of them.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
What?!? NYC has a very large professional class...larger, in absolute terms, than DC’s. DC just happens to to have a much larger black population, by percentage. I also have news about PG county; it’s mostly a dump. It has high crime and bad schools. It just has a high median income because DC has a high median income. PG is honestly more like the Oranges in NJ than an upscale suburb.
Prince Georges is a County, not a small section or area. I'm familiar with certain parts, like Bowie, Hyattsville and Upper Marlboro. The various towns probably have lots of variation, like the towns that make up Nassau and Suffolk County, LI. Not all of the schools are bad, again, it depends on the specific town in question.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You're an example of a minority that likely acts in a particular manner towards blacks. I've met plenty of Hispanics that look down on blacks as if they're superior with some of the comments you've made. I'm sure you must become pissed when you see a black that doesn't fit the stereotype that you have of them.
A lot of dark and mixed race Hispanics/Latinos tend to classify themselves as white, and view themselves accordingly.

My friend is a primary care physician at a free clinic/health center in NYC. She mentioned that the Latino population tends to check "white" as their race, even though many would be classified as "black Hispanic" or mixed race Hispanic, based on their phenotype. Apparently, due to their self selection, the free clinic (on paper) consists of 75% white patients under the "Hispanic/Latino" umbrella.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
A lot of dark and mixed race Hispanics/Latinos tend to classify themselves as white, and view themselves accordingly.

My friend is a primary care physician at a free clinic/health center in NYC. She mentioned that the Latino population tends to check "white" as their race, even though many would be classified as "black Hispanic" or mixed race Hispanic, based on their phenotype. Apparently, due to their self selection, the free clinic (on paper) consists of 75% white patients under the "Hispanic/Latino" umbrella.
Not surprised at all. We have hierarchies in this country, and blacks are somehow put at the bottom when talking about the worst of the worst. Even when grouped with Hispanics, it's usually "black and brown", not "brown and black", so they will feel superior to blacks just for that alone, not to mention that they're allowed to chose their race, even if many of them are mixed with black and/or indio.

Old 05-03-2018, 03:43 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
Prince Georges is a County, not a small section or area. I'm familiar with certain parts, like Bowie, Hyattsville and Upper Marlboro. The various towns probably have lots of variation, like the towns that make up Nassau and Suffolk County, LI. Not all of the schools are bad, again, it depends on the specific town in question.
There is a ton of variation in PG County. There are places like Capitol Heights and Seat Pleasant that are basically the hood, and nicer places like Mitchellville and Fort Washington. It’s great that there’s a relatively high-income, predominately black county, but PG is often made out to be some seat of black wealth, when in reality, it’s the least desirable first-ring suburban county of a predominantly-black city, with a ton of government jobs. PG may be unique, but it isn’t special.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:20 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Not surprised at all. We have hierarchies in this country, and blacks are somehow put at the bottom when talking about the worst of the worst. Even when grouped with Hispanics, it's usually "black and brown", not "brown and black", so they will feel superior to blacks just for that alone, not to mention that they're allowed to chose their race, even if many of them are mixed with black and/or indio.
Not just this country, but pretty much all over Latin America there is the same "white is right" or whatever mentality against those with darker skin and or features.

Am not going to numerate vast examples because many threads can be found on this matter within CD and elsewhere on the internet. But basically everywhere Europeans went and colonized they also exported certain values and so forth. Same as with the United States standards for beauty and or whatever are based upon Europeans (white or light skin, blue eyes, blonde hair, etc....)

To wit all over Brazil, Argentina, Cuba, etc... you see a clear societal value placed on those with clear European ancestry versus "blacks" or "Indians".

The "white" Cubans in South Florida act pretty much same as they did in that country; lots of discrimination against blacks. It is one reason for the "hate" or whatever against Haitians

If you have some free time watch various telenovelas (many of which are filmed in South Florida, Mexico, Argentina or Brazil), and you'll have your eyes opened. Casts are usually all "white"/European looking Hispanics (seas of blonde (bleached or natural) and blue-eyed), with few darker skinned or featured people. When they do pop up it is usually as field workers, domestics, buffoons or so forth (sound familiar?).

Old 05-03-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Not just this country, but pretty much all over Latin America there is the same "white is right" or whatever mentality against those with darker skin and or features.

Am not going to numerate vast examples because many threads can be found on this matter within CD and elsewhere on the internet. But basically everywhere Europeans went and colonized they also exported certain values and so forth. Same as with the United States standards for beauty and or whatever are based upon Europeans (white or light skin, blue eyes, blonde hair, etc....)

To wit all over Brazil, Argentina, Cuba, etc... you see a clear societal value placed on those with clear European ancestry versus "blacks" or "Indians".

The "white" Cubans in South Florida act pretty much same as they did in that country; lots of discrimination against blacks. It is one reason for the "hate" or whatever against Haitians

If you have some free time watch various telenovelas (many of which are filmed in South Florida, Mexico, Argentina or Brazil), and you'll have your eyes opened. Casts are usually all "white"/European looking Hispanics (seas of blonde (bleached or natural) and blue-eyed), with few darker skinned or featured people. When they do pop up it is usually as field workers, domestics, buffoons or so forth (sound familiar?).
I speak Spanish and other languages, and actually have watched a few telenovas in the day. Most of them are boring quite frankly with the same stereotypes, but one of the ones that was really famous that I liked despite the stereotypes was "Xica da Silva". It's actually in Portuguese, but done in Spanish. Some will yell and say well Brazilians aren't Latinos, but it's the same damn concept. The black and mulatto characters are basically slaves, and the white or lighter looking people are in power. Pretty pathetic that this sentiment still goes on in 2018. It's one of the main reasons I don't watch Latin TV shows despite speaking Spanish. Most of the people on the shows are of lighter extraction and they clearly try to act as if Latinos are all fair skinned, which couldn't be any further from the truth.

My girlfriend is Dominican but clearly mixed. She has a lot of black friends and is in touch with her black roots which I think is great.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:39 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
I speak Spanish and other languages, and actually have watched a few telenovas in the day. Most of them are boring quite frankly with the same stereotypes, but one of the ones that was really famous that I liked despite the stereotypes was "Xica da Silva". It's actually in Portuguese, but done in Spanish. Some will yell and say well Brazilians aren't Latinos, but it's the same damn concept. The black and mulatto characters are basically slaves, and the white or lighter looking people are in power. Pretty pathetic that this sentiment still goes on in 2018. It's one of the main reasons I don't watch Latin TV shows despite speaking Spanish. Most of the people on the shows are of lighter extraction and they clearly try to act as if Latinos are all fair skinned, which couldn't be any further from the truth.

My girlfriend is Dominican but clearly mixed. She has a lot of black friends and is in touch with her black roots which I think is great.

Watch one every now and then if nothing is on; mainly for the comical value.

You'd think Latin America was still stuck in the 1800's or something; it's all about class, race, money, landowning, etc...

The man strut around with high levels of machismo as if they own the world. Their wives/women are either all propria mujeres or tramps. The daughters largely same; all (supposedly) virginal waiting to enter a good marriage to the "right" young man, etc....

You've got the maids (usually Indian or mixed) with braids and traditional dress running around in flip flops.....

What gets me is the amount of crying the women do; at the drop of a hat they burst into tears. OTOH there is lots of cleavage and short skirts/leg showing. Even on the older women who look well put together for females in their 50's or so. Seems they only stop all that when they get really "old".

Old 05-03-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Watch one every now and then if nothing is on; mainly for the comical value.

You'd think Latin America was still stuck in the 1800's or something; it's all about class, race, money, landowning, etc...

The man strut around with high levels of machismo as if they own the world. Their wives/women are either all propria mujeres or tramps. The daughters largely same; all (supposedly) virginal waiting to enter a good marriage to the "right" young man, etc....

You've got the maids (usually Indian or mixed) with braids and traditional dress running around in flip flops.....

What gets me is the amount of crying the women do; at the drop of a hat they burst into tears. OTOH there is lots of cleavage and short skirts/leg showing. Even on the older women who look well put together for females in their 50's or so. Seems they only stop all that when they get really "old".
In many ways they are, which is why so many of them are supposedly "white". Nobody is black there, nobody. There's no "pelo malo" either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City